• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Secret Wars 8 and Web of Spiderman 1
1 1

52 posts in this topic

All I can say is that SW was very exciting for me as a 12 year old. Spidey was cool and I got to see all the heroes in one book (which was the first time for me). Showing how SM go the black costume etc. I have my original copy and a graded copy. 

36 minutes ago, WoWitHurts said:

All I can say is that SW was very exciting for me as a 12 year old. Spidey was cool and I got to see all the heroes in one book (which was the first time for me). Showing how SM go the black costume etc. I have my original copy and a graded copy. 

It is always a fun re read and not to crazy I can Read to my son nothing too outrageous.  The Artwork is amazing and Eye-catching. 

I wonder if this Venom movie may do Ok enough that SONY and MCU get together with Spidey.  As Far as the Comics...Cates is a Great writer (God Country, Dr Strange Damnation, Thanos 13-18, Rednecks ) like Jason Aaron's earliest work...He takes Chances and seems to have full reign of the the Story Arc.    

16 hours ago, Jaydee said:

I own multiples of both...not at all the reasoning for the discussion.  And Your comment is complete BS.  Your forum police attitude comment is a reason real fans and collectors don't comment or debate.  You think it is about money and run the forum and you dont.  It is a discussion you twit.

You forgot to mention that my mother was a hamster and my father smelled of elderberries.  Carry on in your castle with your ASM 258 "grail"... I'll just be over here with two copies of AF #15 banging them together like coconuts. :eyeroll:

32 minutes ago, valiantman said:

You forgot to mention that my mother was a hamster and my father smelled of elderberries.  Carry on in your castle with your ASM 258 "grail"... I'll just be over here with two copies of AF #15 banging them together like coconuts. :eyeroll:

Wow, I agree the Twit comment was uncalled for (So did Mom) but your thinking that "Grail" is what anyone was looking is misinterpreted.  I brought up an Honest discussion, You ended up being a bit "Hollier than thou"  talking about Values and Collecting it as an Investment.  I was discussing the Origin Story of a Possible new Character in a new series.  and  I could care less how many low Grade  AF15 you need to have to fulfill Your Life I have My One and am Happy with it.  I have had it for 23 years .  And I didn't Pay a Midsize Sedan For it.

1 hour ago, Jaydee said:

Wow, I agree the Twit comment was uncalled for (So did Mom) but your thinking that "Grail" is what anyone was looking is misinterpreted.  I brought up an Honest discussion, You ended up being a bit "Hollier than thou"  talking about Values and Collecting it as an Investment.  I was discussing the Origin Story of a Possible new Character in a new series.  and  I could care less how many low Grade  AF15 you need to have to fulfill Your Life I have My One and am Happy with it.  I have had it for 23 years .  And I didn't Pay a Midsize Sedan For it.

The caps are killing me.  >_<

On 5/30/2018 at 5:22 AM, WoWitHurts said:

All I can say is that SW was very exciting for me as a 12 year old

That's the key: you were 12.

There's nothing whatsoever wrong with fondly remembering something from childhood, so long as you recognize that what was exciting and magical when you were a kid doesn't necessarily mean it is a quality piece of art or entertainment.

I watched "The Poseidon Adventure" on Saturday afternoon TV when I was 8 or 9. I thought it was one of the greatest movies ever made.  

Fast forward to the 90's and I'm i college. i go to Costco one day, and see it, in VHS, for $9 or so. I couldn't wait to buy it to relive my childhood memories.

So I watched it.

And it was awful. It's melodrama at its finest, with irrational dialogue, plot holes you could drive a truck through, and Shelly Winters. 

That doesn't take away from the fact that my 8 or 9 year old self loved it. But, as an adult, I recognize how truly godawful that movie is. And I'll always remember that afternoon when I was 8 and enjoyed that awful movie.

On 5/29/2018 at 2:52 PM, Jaydee said:
On 5/29/2018 at 2:35 PM, valiantman said:

The first time Superman flies (Action Comics #65) isn't more important than the first Superman in Action #1... even though we always associate Superman with flying. 

We associate the black costume with the symbiote, even if we didn't find out it was a symbiote until 3, 6, or 64 issues later.  ASM #252 is the winner... the others are a footnote, like Action #65.

Im using cameo vs first appearance...not for costume but for symbiotes in comic..i agree 252 is 1st costume but symbiote 1st as well.?

Yes, ASM #252 is the first appearance of the symbiote. And it wasn't even a "retcon." It was designed as a symbiote from the start. 

It doesn't matter that the audience didn't know it was a symbiote. That's completely irrelevant. It's a plot device as old as the Greek Tragedies: hiding a key plot point from the audience, for a big reveal later in the play.

8 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

That's the key: you were 12.

There's nothing whatsoever wrong with fondly remembering something from childhood, so long as you recognize that what was exciting and magical when you were a kid doesn't necessarily mean it is a quality piece of art or entertainment.

I watched "The Poseidon Adventure" on Saturday afternoon TV when I was 8 or 9. I thought it was one of the greatest movies ever made.  

Fast forward to the 90's and I'm i college. i go to Costco one day, and see it, in VHS, for $9 or so. I couldn't wait to buy it to relive my childhood memories.

So I watched it.

And it was awful. It's melodrama at its finest, with irrational dialogue, plot holes you could drive a truck through, and Shelly Winters. 

That doesn't take away from the fact that my 8 or 9 year old self loved it. But, as an adult, I recognize how truly godawful that movie is. And I'll always remember that afternoon when I was 8 and enjoyed that awful movie.

I still think it is an awesome Marvel event with a goofy but fun story and great art and some iconic covers. 

On 5/18/2018 at 1:41 PM, Martin Sinescu said:

Yeah, Cosmic Spidey was the last time I really liked it. Larsen's art got progressively worse as he tried to develop is own style and the stories were unremarkable (unless your remarks were "blah"). I kept buying intermittently up to 400 or so, but there was definitely a drop from the 330's on.

I've been referring to it just as "the 'Bay" to avoid the link but I think I like f-bay better :golfclap:

FleeceBay