• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Secret Wars 8 and Web of Spiderman 1
1 1

52 posts in this topic

Anyone else digging out their stacks of these?      They're going like gang busters on eBay.  Will price spike last or fade after movie hype dies down?   I'm still shocked at what FF 52 and Iron Man 55 are selling for; unbelievable!  Will it last??  

On 5/16/2018 at 5:00 PM, Vtcomics said:

Anyone else digging out their stacks of these?      They're going like gang busters on eBay.  Will price spike last or fade after movie hype dies down?   I'm still shocked at what FF 52 and Iron Man 55 are selling for; unbelievable!  Will it last??  

At least learn how to do a link . . . :makepoint:

. . . my apologies Señor vtc

Edited by divad
sorry!

23 minutes ago, jason4 said:

Venom movie hype for secret wars 8

That's a little weird, since Secret Wars #8 isn't even in the first six months of appearances for the black suit.  First appearance was May 1984, Secret Wars 8 is December 1984.  It is the story with the origin of the black suit from Spider-man and other Marvel characters... who won't be in the Venom movie, so it's not the movie black suit origin either.  Compared to the Venom movie, Secret Wars #8 is basically... nothing.

2 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Do not overlook FF #274. The last page leads directly to Web #1, showing the symbiote escaping from the Baxter Building. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantastic-Four-274-CGC-9-6-John-Byrne-VENOM-SYMBOTE-CAMEO-last-2-pages/323040439679?hash=item4b36b5ed7f:g:sv4AAOSwIk9abSS4

Thanks, that is a tidbit that I didn't know about :) looks like it didn't say it on the older labels, only the new.... did someone just now bother to read it lol :jokealert:

Anyway, this is becoming more and more convoluted, or to me, between ASM 298, 299, 300; MT-U, SW 8, and now FF oye 

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantastic-Four-274-CGC-9-6-John-Byrne-VENOM-SYMBOTE-CAMEO-last-2-pages/323040439679?hash=item4b36b5ed7f:g:sv4AAOSwIk9abSS4

Thanks, that is a tidbit that I didn't know about :) looks like it didn't say it on the older labels, only the new.... did someone just now bother to read it lol :jokealert:

Anyway, this is becoming more and more convoluted, or to me, between ASM 298, 299, 300; MT-U, SW 8, and now FF oye 

It should't be convoluted. The symbiote story, wholly apart from Venom, was its own tale from 1984-1985. 

Spidey #258 and Web #1 would have been the end of it, if Michelinie hadn't created Venom. It's a nice, fairly self-contained saga.

Frankly, while I thought Venom was a logical and clever use of the idea, the symbiote's story with Peter is quite touching, and the final confrontation in the bell tower in Web #1 is heartbreaking.

You end up feeling for this alien creature, and yes, it's what made the concept of Venom so compelling. The scene in Spidey #317 is also quite good.

15 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

It should't be convoluted. The symbiote story, wholly apart from Venom, was its own tale from 1984-1985. 

Spidey #258 and Web #1 would have been the end of it, if Michelinie hadn't created Venom. It's a nice, fairly self-contained saga.

Frankly, while I thought Venom was a logical and clever use of the idea, the symbiote's story with Peter is quite touching, and the final confrontation in the bell tower in Web #1 is heartbreaking.

You end up feeling for this alien creature, and yes, it's what made the concept of Venom so compelling. The scene in Spidey #317 is also quite good.

Thanks for the info! I bought SW 8 and read it 2-3 years ago cause I was curious. It didn't click that it was it's own story with a symibote to be continued as such. I bought ASM 252 but it was already graded, and I got that 2 years ago. I never got into the marvel team up, or not before it was on everybody's radar. I flipped through ASM 300 and read the bell tower scene in that. I do own a raw web of Spiderman #1 that I bought a long time ago too. :makepoint: my point is that every time I heard of bell tower scene, I thought people were referring to #300, so I'm grateful to hear that I have WoS#1 that I can read. :foryou:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

It's a bit of a shame, but I'm curious...

I got what "I think" is a raw 9.8 candidate Web of Spider-man #1 annual at a used book store for $1. I was just going to get it grade, idk why other than I think that it will hit 9.8, but due to the condition... I didn't crack it to read it.

Does it have anything that gives any info on the symbiote or is it worth reading, from that perspective?

23 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Thanks for the info! I bought SW 8 and read it 2-3 years ago cause I was curious. It didn't click that it was it's own story with a symibote to be continued as such. I bought ASM 252 but it was already graded, and I got that 2 years ago. I never got into the marvel team up, or not before it was on everybody's radar. I flipped through ASM 300 and read the bell tower scene in that. I do own a raw web of Spiderman #1 that I bought a long time ago too. :makepoint: my point is that every time I heard of bell tower scene, I thought people were referring to #300, so I'm grateful to hear that I have WoS#1 that I can read. :foryou:

It's a good story. That era of Spidey, from #238 to essentially #329, is one of the best in comics, and Spidey being Spidey. It's just classic Spidey, and the logical progression of the Lee/Ditko character. Stern, Michelinie, and co. really turned out a great set of stories. Plus, Peter David was doing good work in Spectacular at the time as well. 

It's just FUN. If you've never read Spidey #252-259, and the corresponding issues in MTU and Spectacular, get it and read it. Spidey #259...aside from the horrifyingly bad Frenz art (Mary Jane is a MODEL...she should look like that full length panel in ASM #302, not a bag lady), it's quite a nice story about Pete & MJ's history. 

And, of course, the whole "who is Hobgoblin??", which played out for several years, was pretty exciting, even if the climax was a let down.

14 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It's a bit of a shame, but I'm curious...

I got what "I think" is a raw 9.8 candidate Web of Spider-man #1 annual at a used book store for $1. I was just going to get it grade, idk why other than I think that it will hit 9.8, but due to the condition... I didn't crack it to read it.

Does it have anything that gives any info on the symbiote or is it worth reading, from that perspective?

Web Annual 1, which came out between the apparent demise of the symbiote (Web 1) and the beginning of the Venom story (Web 18), has no connection to the symbiote.

19 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

It's a good story. That era of Spidey, from #238 to essentially #329, is one of the best in comics, and Spidey being Spidey. It's just classic Spidey, and the logical progression of the Lee/Ditko character. Stern, Michelinie, and co. really turned out a great set of stories. Plus, Peter David was doing good work in Spectacular at the time as well. 

It's just FUN. If you've never read Spidey #252-259, and the corresponding issues in MTU and Spectacular, get it and read it. Spidey #259...aside from the horrifyingly bad Frenz art (Mary Jane is a MODEL...she should look like that full length panel in ASM #302, not a bag lady), it's quite a nice story about Pete & MJ's history. 

And, of course, the whole "who is Hobgoblin??", which played out for several years, was pretty exciting, even if the climax was a let down.

+1

That was a great time to be a Spidey collector and reader. It was pretty much downhill from there for a long while. I stopped collecting it around issue #336 or #337 (Sinister Six storyline) due to the drop in the quality of stories and artwork post-McFarlane. 

Edited by kimik

2 hours ago, kimik said:

+1

That was a great time to be a Spidey collector and reader. It was pretty much downhill from there for a long while. I stopped collecting it around issue #336 or #337 (Sinister Six storyline) due to the drop in the quality of stories and artwork post-McFarlane. 

Yeah, Cosmic Spidey was the last time I really liked it. Larsen's art got progressively worse as he tried to develop is own style and the stories were unremarkable (unless your remarks were "blah"). I kept buying intermittently up to 400 or so, but there was definitely a drop from the 330's on.

2 hours ago, divad said:

Thanks - so you can type feebay or fBay or f-bay and no links . . . :grin:

I've been referring to it just as "the 'Bay" to avoid the link but I think I like f-bay better :golfclap:

On 5/17/2018 at 3:10 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Always wondered if/when 258 would/should ever break out.  Decent cover.  The sonic defeat of the Venom symbiote.