• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Secret Wars 8 and Web of Spiderman 1
1 1

52 posts in this topic

There was actually a time, in the early 90s, when all the symbiote issues had a bit of a breakout...especially that poor man's #252, #253, the 1st appearance of the Rose.

Now, if the Rose ever shows up anywhere....er, I've said too much...

5 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

There was actually a time, in the early 90s, when all the symbiote issues had a bit of a breakout...especially that poor man's #252, #253, the 1st appearance of the Rose.

Now, if the Rose ever shows up anywhere....er, I've said too much...

A rose by any other...

On 5/17/2018 at 1:55 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Do not overlook FF #274. The last page leads directly to Web #1, showing the symbiote escaping from the Baxter Building. 

Oh no, I’m putting together a reading run of Byrne’s FF stuff. 

Im I going to get hosed by this #274, whatever it is. 

7 minutes ago, Jaydee said:

Ok Since CATEs is Doing Symbiote God and the First Symbiote is SW8 Would That Be a Key Now?

SW 8 is the origin of the symbiote which becomes Venom. If you are a Spider-man/Venom fan this definitely a key. The whole SW 12 issues are a key in my book. I loved going to the book emporium to see if the new issue was out.

Just now, WoWitHurts said:

SW 8 is the origin of the symbiote which becomes Venom. If you are a Spider-man/Venom fan this definitely a key. The whole SW 12 issues are a key in my book. I loved going to the book emporium to see if the new issue was out.

When Asked My Favorite Arcs 15 Years ago at a Panel  (I have had Every SS and Cap Marvel at the time, Warlock) I was considered the Cosmic Marvel Expert at 3 Cons .    I Stated Outside of the Infinity Runs and a Few Cosmic Story arcs (Who Knew) Nothing Compares IMHO to SW all 12 are Legendary   (Hence I wont Slab 8 yet)  I love Just Having them in a Portfolio as is.   

1 minute ago, Jaydee said:

Then ASM 258 Maybe?

The first "symbiote" is the first black costume appearance, which was beautifully shown with the Amazing Fantasy #15 homage cover of Amazing Spider-man #252 (May 1984)... also the same month as Marvel Team-Up #141.  Then, the costume is seen many times in the issues that follow May 1984, so that Secret Wars #8 (December 1984) isn't the first (second, third, etc.) anything.

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

The first "symbiote" is the first black costume appearance, which was beautifully shown with the Amazing Fantasy #15 homage cover of Amazing Spider-man #252 (May 1984)... also the same month as Marvel Team-Up #141.  Then, the costume is seen many times in the issues that follow May 1984, so that Secret Wars #8 (December 1984) isn't the first (second, third, etc.) anything.

There is No Mention of Any Symbiote or Klyntar until ASM 258.  Its is a FF 67 vs Thor 165 Debate or Xmen 201 vs New Mutants 87. , Annual 14 vs Xmen 266 ASM 252 Yes Love it. 1st Black suit..  BUT...When is Symbiote First ....appears is when Reed discovers in ASM 258.  

Chronologically SW 8 Happens Before 252...

2 hours ago, WoWitHurts said:

SW 8 is the origin of the symbiote story of how Spider-Man got his black costume which eventually joins with Eddie Brock and becomes Venom.

Fixed.

2 hours ago, WoWitHurts said:

The whole SW 12 issues are a key in my book. I loved going to the book emporium to see if the new issue was out.

Marvel Super-Heroes Secret Wars is bad. It's a lame story that was used as an excuse to throw lots of characters together at the behest of a toy company. :S

10 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Also Yes Publication it is 6 months 252-258 ans Teamups and Webs ...But It was Created by People who Know Now that 34 Years Later we still need a definitive answer.  

When are the Symbiotes the Klyntar first appearance.  (and Deadpool was first, but The Symbiote hated the feet)

There is No Mention of Any Symbiote or Klyntar until ASM 258.  Its is a FF 67 vs Thor 165 Debate or Xmen 201 vs New Mutants 87. , Annual 14 vs Xmen 266 ASM 252 Yes Love it. 1st Black suit..  BUT...When is Symbiote First ....appears is when Reed discovers in ASM 258.  

No. :facepalm:

Chronologically, in continuity, SW 8 Happens Before 252...

Fixed. The qualifier is very important.

Also Yes Publication it is 6 months 252-258 ans Teamups and Webs ...But It was Created by People who Know Now that 34 Years Later we still need a definitive answer.  

When are the Symbiotes the Klyntar first appearance.  (and Deadpool was first, but The Symbiote hated the feet)

slj-pulpfiction-english-censored.jpg.c5735f0659da4f58fe70314b788f3973.jpg

5 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Fixed.

Marvel Super-Heroes Secret Wars is bad. It's a lame story that was used as an excuse to throw lots of characters together at the behest of a toy company. :S

What it wasn't bad, and Toys were good, Shirts were Cool, Mike Zeck Covers amazing... Not bad...and Setlle Down with Name Calling ...Just because your Jets hit the Golf Course a Bit Earlier than they Should no reason to get Nasty....YOU SHOULD BE IN THE FINALS!!!

16 minutes ago, Jaydee said:

The first time Superman flies (Action Comics #65) isn't more important than the first Superman in Action #1... even though we always associate Superman with flying. 

We associate the black costume with the symbiote, even if we didn't find out it was a symbiote until 3, 6, or 64 issues later.  ASM #252 is the winner... the others are a footnote, like Action #65.

13 minutes ago, valiantman said:

The first time Superman flies (Action Comics #65) isn't more important than the first Superman in Action #1... even though we always associate Superman with flying. 

We associate the black costume with the symbiote, even if we didn't find out it was a symbiote until 3, 6, or 64 issues later.  ASM #252 is the winner... the others are a footnote, like Action #65.

Im using cameo vs first appearance...not for costume but for symbiotes in comic..i agree 252 is 1st costume but symbiote 1st as well.?

3 minutes ago, Jaydee said:

Im using cameo vs first appearance...not for costume but for symbiotes in comic..i agree 252 is 1st costume but symbiote 1st as well.?

But you're trying to make a big deal out of something 30+ years after it happened... because you want to?  There's no real purpose to your argument, unless you're trying to convince someone (yourself or others) that a book is more important and should therefore be more valuable.

That's weak sauce... granted, it does work very well in some internet communities... but not this one.

7 hours ago, Jaydee said:

I own multiples of both...not at all the reasoning for the discussion.  And Your comment is complete BS.  Your forum police attitude comment is a reason real fans and collectors don't comment or debate.  You think it is about money and run the forum and you dont.  It is a discussion you twit.   In reality any ASM would trump any story arc set or spinoff  Actually I'm trying to decipher the new origin of the Symbiotes for the new cates Venom series.   It is a discussion about an Origin and First not about financial gain.  

Boy, how to make friends and influence people . . . :eyeroll: