• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO Max's PENNYWORTH starring Jack Bannon (2022)

84 posts in this topic

'Gotham' Boss Sets New Batman Prequel Series at Epix

gotham-404b_scn1_jn0273_f_hires2.jpg

Epix is getting into the DC Comics business.

The MGM-owned premium cable network has handed out a 10-episode, straight-to-series order for Pennyworth, a drama set in the Batman universe from Gotham showrunner Bruno Heller.

The project will revolve around Alfred Pennyworth, the best friend and butler to Bruce Wayne (aka Batman). The series is not a Gotham spinoff but rather an entirely new story exploring Alfred's origins as a former British SAS soldier who forms a secret company and goes to work with Thomas Wayne — Bruce's billionaire father — in 1960s London. Sean Pertwee, who plays Alfred Pennyworth on Fox's recently renewed Gotham, is not involved. Casting has not yet begun and the series is set in a completely different universe despite hailing from Heller and producers Warner Horizon. (Others who have played the Alfred role over the years include Jeremy Irons, Michael Gough, Michael Caine, Alan Napier and William Austin).

Pennyworth is based on DC characters created by Bob Kane and Bill Finger. Heller will pen the ---script and executive produce. The drama marks a reunion for Heller with Gotham's Danny Cannon, who will exec produce and direct the pilot as he did with the Fox Batman origin story.

"Michael and his colleagues have created the perfect venue for original storytelling, and all of us working on Pennyworth are thrilled to be on the Epix slate,” Heller and Cannon said in a joint statement.

I'll give it a chance-- if they make it well and the writing is good, any topic is fair game imo. While I agree that Solo was disappointing - if we start predicting things will suck before giving them a chance, we will never see anything new and exciting. For example-- I didn't think I was going to enjoy the Peggy Carter stuff-- but I did. Talented people can surprise you. And I say this having given up on Gotham itself after the first season or so (not a huge Batman fan and the show was sort of boring to me).

Edited by 01TheDude

2 minutes ago, sagekilz said:

Still don't see the appeal to this.

On 2/12/2019 at 2:55 PM, sagekilz said:

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I don't see any appeal to this.

Do you want use to give you two a moment to talk things through? I mean, it seems only right.

emotion01.gif