• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO Max's PENNYWORTH starring Jack Bannon (2022)

84 posts in this topic

Starzplay has acquired a raft of international rights to Epix’s Batman prequel Pennyworth. The digital platform has picked up rights for the UK, Germany, Italy, Spain, Ireland, Belgium, Luxembourg, Austria and Latin America.

The show, which airs in the U.S. later this month, follows Alfred Pennyworth, played by Jack Bannon, a former British SAS soldier in his 20s, who forms a security company in 1960s London and goes to work with young billionaire Thomas Wayne, played by Ben Aldridge, who’s not yet become Bruce Wayne’s father.

Last summer, Teen Titans GO! to the Movies became one of the sleeper hits of the year, in large part due to its takedown of everything DC Comics related. One of the best jokes in the entire movie revolves around Robin thinking he's going to get his own feature film, only to find out that Alfred, Batman's loyal but elderly butler, was getting a starring turn instead. This moment works as a great bit within Teen Titans GO!, but it's made even better by the fact that it was mirrored in real life. Just a couple of months before the film hit theaters (long after the joke had been written), Epix announced that a live-action TV series based on Alfred was being sent into production. You literally couldn't make this timing up. Regardless, the idea of Pennyworth, a show about Batman's butler, is ridiculous, made only more ridiculous by a joke in children's movie. And yet, veteran DC producers Bruno Heller and Danny Cannon turned that idea into something great.

Don't get me wrong, the new Pennyworth series is actually ridiculous, but in the best possible way. The show takes place in an alternate history version of 1960s London and follows a 26-year-old Alfred Pennyworth (Jack Bannon), who is fresh off a decade of military service. Needing a job, Alfred and his two friends launch a private security firm, which leads him straight into the middle of an underground civil war. Along with several notorious gangsters and spies, Alfred crosses paths with two young, secretive American operatives, Thomas Wayne (Ben Aldridge) and Martha Kane (Emma Paetz).

Pennyworth is not your run-of-the-mill spy thriller. It's also not a superhero project in the slightest bit. For better or for worse, this quirky little series is in a genre all its own. Fortunately, Heller and Cannon fully embrace and accept that fact, allowing Pennyworth to reach much higher than its premise. If you want something totally different than the TV you're used to, Epix's Pennyworth is certainly worth your time.

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

14 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

seeing this as a prescreen tomorrow, didn't realize it's the beginning to a tv show, i hope it has a beginning, middle and end.... and it's enjoyable

Do you think that Batman #216 will pick up steam? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-216-1969-CGC-9-6-1157443001/362682323252?hash=item54718d1134:g:iTwAAOSwRjxdCepl:sc:USPSPriority!75218!US!-1

It's the issue that Alfred's name changes from "Beagle" to "Pennyworth" :sumo: I have a VG- copy :whee: 

On 7/17/2019 at 8:53 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

seeing this as a prescreen tomorrow, didn't realize it's the beginning to a tv show, i hope it has a beginning, middle and end.... and it's enjoyable

Movie comics and pins :whee:

20190718_204819.jpg

20190718_204834.jpg

The Pennyworth pilot was so much fun!

Between the backstory of his military service and the retelling of what made him the character he became, it made for a wild first tale. Including how he met Thomas Wayne, without going too far into the details.

4.5/5 for me.

Edited by Bosco685

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

The Pennyworth pilot was so much fun!

Between the backstory of his military service and the retelling of what made him the character he became, it made for a wild first tale. Including how he met Thomas Wayne, without going too far into the details.

4.5/5 for me.

My cable company had a prview of this.

It was one of the best pilots I have seen in a long time.

Pitch perfect, true to the times, and charactors, totaly engaging.  

22 minutes ago, The Brain said:

My cable company had a prview of this.

It was one of the best pilots I have seen in a long time.

Pitch perfect, true to the times, and charactors, totaly engaging.  

It felt like a Kingman TV show, in that it didn't require any ties to the superhero world in order to bring entertainment and interesting characters. I found that to be quite great.