• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Those Damn Comics
2 2

110 posts in this topic

Big Alert to anyone who deals with these guys.  

They deal out of West Saint Paul, Manitoba - Canada

Sell higher end Golden and Silver Age books  

They are known to set up at shows in Winnipeg and have been known to do other shows such as the Calgary Comic Con.

Bought 3 books from them in March.  All 3 color touched even after questioning them on the color touch.  They outright lied and said they were not restored.

Tried to contact them and they are not returning contact and have gone silent.

So to anyone that has dealt with them don't be surprised that the books you bought from them are restored and being sold to you as unrestored.

Edited by Red_Hood

15 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Did you give them a chance to make it right.? If they said it was unrestored and they were wrong, they owe you a refund.

8 weeks and no response from them is very obvious they are not looking to make anything right. 

Also, selling 1 book and saying its not restored can be an oversight. 

Selling 3 books as not restored and all 3 being restored with the same level of color touch is shady pattern. 

Edited by Red_Hood

31 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Pics of the color touch? Did you see the color touch after purchase or did a grading company find it?

I'm not going to take pics and CSI this thing to death.  

I saw the color touch and questioned them on it on one of the books and they denied that there was any restoration.  The other 2 I missed completely and my radar didn't flag them as they were actually both moderns that CGC caught.

Take the post as a cautionary warning and buyer beware, simple as that.

I have met these guys at a Calgary Expo. They bought some books off of me, one was a Weird Mysteries #5 that was missing the centerfold ( which I did disclose ).

I later found they sold that book to someone who was a member on these forums and how I found out is the buyer was proudly showing the new acquisition in the "recent in your collection" thread. Recognizing the book, I sent the buyer a PM informing him of the missing centerfold to find out if he was informed to find out he was not, he was rather upset by the news.

Confirm that they do sell a lot of restored/ color touched books.

27 minutes ago, wombat said:

I'm a little confused. You saw the color touch on one of them and then what? 

I saw it, showed it to them, they said it wasn't restored and I said alright but if it is I'll be contacting you.  Looked under UV blacklight after getting it home in more ideal conditions.  Saw the extent of the color touch.

Tried to contact them to which they went radio silent.  No reply...nothing.

This was purchased at a con so you're not dealing with receipts and written contracts.  If that's how they want to deal and ruin their reputation

I'm ok with that.  As long as they don't try to scam unsuspecting buyers.

On 5/17/2018 at 6:26 PM, Artboy99 said:

I have met these guys at a Calgary Expo. They bought some books off of me, one was a Weird Mysteries #5 that was missing the centerfold ( which I did disclose ).

I later found they sold that book to someone who was a member on these forums and how I found out is the buyer was proudly showing the new acquisition in the "recent in your collection" thread. Recognizing the book, I sent the buyer a PM informing him of the missing centerfold to find out if he was informed to find out he was not, he was rather upset by the news.

Confirm that they do sell a lot of restored/ color touched books.

Edited by Red_Hood

thanks for the warning but when you have the book in hand and something looks suspicious, why would you shell out cash regardless of what the owners said?? Why take a chance when you have the evidence in hand?? over the internet ebay etc I could certainly see your point however, you had the chance to back out but took their word for it?? this one is on both of you

58 minutes ago, anstettoman said:

thanks for the warning but when you have the book in hand and something looks suspicious, why would you shell out cash regardless of what the owners said?? Why take a chance when you have the evidence in hand?? over the internet ebay etc I could certainly see your point however, you had the chance to back out but took their word for it?? this one is on both of you

:facepalm:  Are you new to ethical commerce.  They said it wasn't restored and sold 3 items that were restored as not being restored.  I questioned them on one of them and they still said it wasn't restored and I told them I would be in contact with them if it was restored to which they are not responding to contact attempts.  The level of color touch is consistent on all three books so they are doing this to the books.  This is all on them.