• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Those Damn Comics
2 2

110 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I don't want to derail, but what's up with the date?

Not a big deal. I am accused of that a lot.

41 minutes ago, BuscemasAvengers said:

Were there any conversations in digital form (email, text) in which you have a record of the "not restored" claim?  Or was everything verbally negotiated?

I'll do you one better.... would you pay the FMV of an unrestored book and be ok with a restored copy.  

As I said earlier, it was a comic con, Who the hell has a conversation in digital form.  For christ's sake, would you actually read the posts before trying to be a witty devil's advocate.

Its dumb statements like this that let these types of thieves thrive in this hobby.

39 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I don't want to derail, but what's up with the date?

aaa.thumb.jpg.91c72152fd87508673dda6d7eb92d881.jpg

Well, it would appear this thread has the ability to go back in time and forward in time.  
I'll have to check with Doc Brown on what's going on with the flux capacitor.

15 minutes ago, Red_Hood said:

I'll do you one better.... would you pay the FMV of an unrestored book and be ok with a restored copy.  

As I said earlier, it was a comic con, Who the hell has a conversation in digital form.  For christ's sake, would you actually read the posts before trying to be a witty devil's advocate.

Its dumb statements like this that let these types of thieves thrive in this hobby.

Yikes ... methinks that's a tad harsh!  Deals do happen over several days, in which communication can occur digitally; had not realised the deal was done the same day ... was just trying to think of evidence you could have used in your favor ... 

22 hours ago, Red_Hood said:

( who even has a yahoo account anymore ?!?! )

:hi:

(shrug)

25 minutes ago, Transplant said:

I think we all want to know, why is BUTM using Bing?

At work it's the default search engine.   My machine is too locked down to change it.

4 hours ago, anstettoman said:

thanks for the warning but when you have the book in hand and something looks suspicious, why would you shell out cash regardless of what the owners said?? Why take a chance when you have the evidence in hand?? over the internet ebay etc I could certainly see your point however, you had the chance to back out but took their word for it?? this one is on both of you

3 hours ago, Sal said:

What?  No.

3 hours ago, october said:

Um, no it isn't. Not even a little bit. 

Exactly. This is not on Red_Hood even a tiny bit. This can only be laid at the feet of the creeps that knowingly offered/sold restored books to a CUSTOMER and lied about it. To his face. He took their word on this, and then not only the book in question but two other books came back restored.

"Selling 3 books as not restored and all 3 being restored with the same level of color touch is a shady pattern." "Shady" is being nice in this instance. Taken with Artboy99's story the proof is in the pudding. There's a chance you might be missing the big picture. There is basic 'right' and 'wrong' and the seller is most definitely on the wrong side. And they further confirmed it by their subsequent action and inaction:

They have deliberately altered books and then lied about it. When called upon to rectify this issue they ignored the buyer. This was a premeditated act to defraud a customer, lie about it for good measure and then ignore the customer. It's morally wrong, reprehensible and bottom line - NOT how people should treat each other. and I'm calling BS on them. There may not be legal recourse available to the buyer but to Hell with legal recourse. This is a case of right or wrong and how you treat other people. 

8 hours ago, Kramerica said:

Exactly. This is not on Red_Hood even a tiny bit. This can only be laid at the feet of the creeps that knowingly offered/sold restored books to a CUSTOMER and lied about it. To his face. He took their word on this, and then not only the book in question but two other books came back restored.

"Selling 3 books as not restored and all 3 being restored with the same level of color touch is a shady pattern." "Shady" is being nice in this instance. Taken with Artboy99's story the proof is in the pudding. There's a chance you might be missing the big picture. There is basic 'right' and 'wrong' and the seller is most definitely on the wrong side. And they further confirmed it by their subsequent action and inaction:

They have deliberately altered books and then lied about it. When called upon to rectify this issue they ignored the buyer. This was a premeditated act to defraud a customer, lie about it for good measure and then ignore the customer. It's morally wrong, reprehensible and bottom line - NOT how people should treat each other. and I'm calling BS on them. There may not be legal recourse available to the buyer but to Hell with legal recourse. This is a case of right or wrong and how you treat other people. 

you know how when you glance over something quickly and respond without thinking things thru, I now realize i may have been too hasty in my off the cuff response. I am not blaming red hood for being upset with this sleazy practice because of you ask someone a direct question it is up to the seller to disclose what they know. This seller really is a piece of "work" and is very unethical, This type of seller should be called out and rightly so. What i meant to say is that Before  I lay down any hard earned $$$ If i looked at a book and it was obvious to me that it was somehow manipulated (ie color touch) and I really did not want to take a chance on a restored book, i could put the book back and purchase somewhere else. does not get the seller off the hook, The buyer is not at fault in this case for sure but if I was in his shoes would not have purchased a book that to me appeared altered no mater what i was told by a seller. thanks 

9 hours ago, Kramerica said:

There's no proof that they knowingly sold restored books and lied about it.  It's possible they bought a collection or a bunch of books off one person that had a lot of color touch.  For example I bought 6 GA books from one seller at the Calgary Expo and 4 had color touch.  I could have easily passed those on if I hadn't noticed.

What's very disturbing is that the seller is apparently ignoring the buyer and the problem.  Anyone can make a mistake but everyone should fix their mistakes.

Full disclosure, I know Dave of Dave's Comics.  He set up across from me at a number of Calgary Expos.  He seems like a nice enough guy.  

13 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

There's no proof that they knowingly sold restored books and lied about it.  It's possible they bought a collection or a bunch of books off one person that had a lot of color touch.  For example I bought 6 GA books from one seller at the Calgary Expo and 4 had color touch.  I could have easily passed those on if I hadn't noticed.

What's very disturbing is that the seller is apparently ignoring the buyer and the problem.  Anyone can make a mistake but everyone should fix their mistakes.

Full disclosure, I know Dave of Dave's Comics.  He set up across from me at a number of Calgary Expos.  He seems like a nice enough guy.  

That is true - no proof they knowingly did it. But 3 for 3 on restored books? And the buyer said they were moderns and then after being contacted....silence.

Then Artboy99 added this info:

"I have met these guys at a Calgary Expo. They bought some books off of me, one was a Weird Mysteries #5 that was missing the centerfold ( which I did disclose ).

I later found they sold that book to someone who was a member on these forums and how I found out is the buyer was proudly showing the new acquisition in the "recent in your collection" thread. Recognizing the book, I sent the buyer a PM informing him of the missing centerfold to find out if he was informed to find out he was not, he was rather upset by the news."

With everything I have read here I just have a hard time giving the benefit of a doubt to them at all. It all smells unsavory, unscrupulous and dishonest. And I swear I'm not a witch-hunt and burn the village type of guy. I'm just sharing my thoughts and they're not particularly endearing to the seller here. 

On 5/18/2018 at 6:23 AM, anstettoman said:

thanks for the warning but when you have the book in hand and something looks suspicious, why would you shell out cash regardless of what the owners said?? Why take a chance when you have the evidence in hand?? over the internet ebay etc I could certainly see your point however, you had the chance to back out but took their word for it?? this one is on both of you

Exactly.  If you notice color touch on a book when first inspecting it, why would you go ahead and buy it? Seems like a recipe for disaster if you ask me.

5 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Exactly.  If you notice color touch on a book when first inspecting it, why would you go ahead and buy it? Seems like a recipe for disaster if you ask me.

Because you would think the person you're dealing with has integrity.   When looking at a book in less then ideal conditions with the poor lighting my experience and gut feeling

told me that it was but I took their word letting them know I would contact them if it was color touched.  As I already stated, once I had the book at home and inspected in ideal conditions 

it was evident that the book was.  There is no recipe for disaster as everything was addressed, I had my opinion, they had their opinion and stipulations were made to deal with it if it was restored.

It comes down to the seller's integrity and honesty.  It's solely on them.  

I’ve known Dave for quite awhile and have gotten some good deals off him, Winnipeg being the gossip central that it is in the comic community, I’ve never heard anything bad about him other than  grading discrepancies. 

Seems pretty weird that he would intentionally sell you resto’d books knowing you would be pressing and submitting them. 

I seen the HOS you bought just not out of the bag. You sent it to CGC knowing it was touched?