• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Those Damn Comics
2 2

110 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, Red_Hood said:

Because you would think the person you're dealing with has integrity.   When looking at a book in less then ideal conditions with the poor lighting my experience and gut feeling

told me that it was but I took their word letting them know I would contact them if it was color touched.  As I already stated, once I had the book at home and inspected in ideal conditions 

it was evident that the book was.  There is no recipe for disaster as everything was addressed, I had my opinion, they had their opinion and stipulations were made to deal with it if it was restored.

It comes down to the seller's integrity and honesty.  It's solely on them.  

I've never dealt with these people, but I wouldn't trust anyone I don't know.

Did you examine the book in front of them? If not it's  your problem.

I know that getting into conversations with other board members that when they get a collection in they find it nearly impossible to go through every book.

Hopefully it wasn't an expensive endeavor,  so you can learn from your mistakes.

2 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I've never dealt with these people, but I wouldn't trust anyone I don't know.

Did you examine the book in front of them? If not it's  your problem.

I know that getting into conversations with other board members that when they get a collection in they find it nearly impossible to go through every book.

Hopefully it wasn't an expensive endeavor,  so you can learn from your mistakes.

well...aren't you a preachy SOB.  It's black and white. One book..... one conversation...  so why do people like you continue to ramble on with their assumptions.

If you condone sellers lying about books as not restored and selling them as restored it shows your mentality if you were to sell.

You need to read the thread carefully as all the facts were already discussed making your questions irrelevant as they were answered over and over.

But I get it...you want to try to be that witty guy.... but honestly, it falls short.  Just like most of your posts when you think you know more then the other person.

52 minutes ago, Red_Hood said:

well...aren't you a preachy SOB.  It's black and white. One book..... one conversation...  so why do people like you continue to ramble on with their assumptions.

If you condone sellers lying about books as not restored and selling them as restored it shows your mentality if you were to sell.

You need to read the thread carefully as all the facts were already discussed making your questions irrelevant as they were answered over and over.

But I get it...you want to try to be that witty guy.... but honestly, it falls short.  Just like most of your posts when you think you know more then the other person.

Let's boil this down to the essentials.  You bought a book that's color touched and that wasn't disclosed.  Who's a good person, if you suspected there was color touch but trusted the seller, how good the lighting was, none of that matters.  If you were sold a book that's not as described it's on the dealer to reverse the deal. 

I do want to point out that the seller may have missed the color touch and may not have read your email.  Do you have his current email address?  Before calling him a liar make sure he's aware of the problem and he has a chance to address it.

Edited by thehumantorch

Why is this seller so hard to get in touch with? Seems many here know him.

i don’t get it. If it was me as the buyer I would make it my mission to contact him.

phone, email, social media, his place of employment, friends.

There must be a way to make contact.

1 hour ago, Red_Hood said:

Such a charmer, you are. Are you free Friday night...?

:foryou:

I hope you like daffodils.

Oh, and make sure to wear that thing that I like....

1 hour ago, Red_Hood said:

Not being preachy really, just common sense. I get it though, you feel jilted and want redemption. I completely understand. Is it wise to do this on a message board? or maybe keep trying the source. 

Midtown comics made good on a restored book i bought..after examining it..i dropped 1400 on it...sent it in git PLOD...called they said it happen on a few high end of the collection.  It was slight b-1 and a slight trim...they made good and then some...but never got book and still hard to find.  Now IF a seller such as Nice Guy Dave has been involved on 2 occasions of either not disclosing or not makibg good...id make sure he and his shop patrons know just what kind if a guy Nice Guy Dave is when it comes to business.   Dont sugar coat this...this is a fraudulent transaction...and Blatant on the missing CF book.  

Edited by Jaydee

33 minutes ago, wombat said:

I don't think anyone is condoning the actions of the seller. But at the end of the day the only person looking out for you is you. You should have trusted your initial instincts. 

^^

Id post here, but never let it go at the store.  Fortunately in my case with Midtown they heard from other buyers too.  Now I had no misgivings about this at first actually SHOCKED.  BUT as custom with me cautious at first and if uts a high dollar book the gloves, light and 10x optic come out.  

1 hour ago, wombat said:

I don't think anyone is condoning the actions of the seller. But at the end of the day the only person looking out for you is you. You should have trusted your initial instincts. 

Yes, my initial instinct is exactly what I should have followed on the one book.  But my conversation with him covered that, or at least I thought so until he wasn't returning contact.

But then to have 2 other modern books with the same level of color touch was way off the radar. 

All 3 books were sold as not restored.  Even when questioned on the 1 book.  

So this is 100% on the seller as a fraudulent transaction.  

43 minutes ago, Red_Hood said:

Yes, my initial instinct is exactly what I should have followed on the one book.  But my conversation with him covered that, or at least I thought so until he wasn't returning contact.

But then to have 2 other modern books with the same level of color touch was way off the radar. 

It's not fraudulent unless you can prove he knowingly misrepresented the books.  It is entirely possible that he was unaware the books were color touched.  You're accusing someone of something - fraud - that is unproven and that reflects poorly on you.

8 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

It's not fraudulent unless you can prove he knowingly misrepresented the books.  It is entirely possible that he was unaware the books were color touched.  You're accusing someone of something - fraud - that is unproven and that reflects poorly on you.

This is true, it may not have been deliberate but it walks a fine line of lying to deceive.  Also, given the previous example that Artboy provided about selling the book without the CF and disclosing it to them and then they went and sold it without providing that information to the unsuspecting buyer leaves me not to give them the benefit of the doubt as there is a pattern.

11 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

I think the Boardie  @Artboy99 who sold the Missing Centerfold book to them, and Reached out to the new Buyer after it was resold by  Dave the Nice Guy was dead on a true nice Guy  ...The Buyerwho was unaware..and was not  told the CF was detached is Fraud by Dave the nice Guy.  That was Blatant Misrepresentation which is fraud, there is no other word to describe Dave the Nice Guys actions.  

Edited by Jaydee

13 hours ago, Red_Hood said:

It used to be called "sin of omission" ...... when he let you walk away believing you had recourse ..... that was where he stepped fully out of bounds. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I do agree that the onus is on the sellers to do the right thing here. 

But when the buyer--who was already suspicious that at least one of the books was being misrepresented, either due to ignorance or deceit--told the sellers that he'd be in touch if there was a problem with any of the books, despite their claims to the contrary, were there any reassurances from the sellers that they had, and would honor, a return policy?  Seems to me that that would be the minimum requirement before handing over the dough, especially since there was already at least a slight shadow hovering over the deal...

Edited by jools&jim

On 5/21/2018 at 11:01 AM, oakman29 said:
On 5/18/2018 at 9:23 AM, anstettoman said:

thanks for the warning but when you have the book in hand and something looks suspicious, why would you shell out cash regardless of what the owners said?? Why take a chance when you have the evidence in hand?? over the internet ebay etc I could certainly see your point however, you had the chance to back out but took their word for it?? this one is on both of you

Exactly.  If you notice color touch on a book when first inspecting it, why would you go ahead and buy it? Seems like a recipe for disaster if you ask me.

I'm with anstettoman and oakman29 here. 

If I inspected it and felt there was restoration done to it, I would pass no matter how much they screamed up and down that it wasn't.  (unless it was priced in line with restored copies)

If I knew them and they assured me a 100% money back situation if it did come back purple, I would take them up on it.  It would be a win/win, either I get what I want, or I get to prove I was right. lol

4 hours ago, october said:

I really don't understand the board members that seemingly want to give the seller a pass, or want to blame the buyer. It's a seller's responsibility to disclose restoration. Should the buyer know enough to spot color touch and other resto in order to avoid being taken advantage of? Yes. Does the buyer have to know those things? No. 

I take great pains as a seller to detect restoration. On the off chance that someone spots something that I didn't, I respond to their communication, they get a refund or we work something out. This is pretty basic stuff and a standard that every ethical seller adheres to. NOT adhering to it puts the seller is pretty poor company. 

I also agree to this 100%.  This seller, if he has any scruples, should be making things right with Dad & Son.  Now Paul likely knows how to detect restoration fairly well, and already mentioned his first instinct, but the assurance of getting a refund in the case that resto is detected is why he went for the deal.  He should still be looked after properly.

For me, though, I would have just handed it back and let him keep it. 2c