• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Those Damn Comics
2 2

110 posts in this topic

I always get confused about whether it should be "on the internet" or "in the internet". It would help if it was "in the internet", so people would not have to type "...on..." twice and cause the reader to have a slight mental pause while trying to figure it out. I hate that. This was not meant to be a provocative or instigating post. Well, maybe subconsciously, but I don't know for sure.

But then the problem would be somebody presenting a question of some sort, as in "...where did you see that...." and a person types "...in internet...." to save time, without 'the" in between, the same problem as "....on on..." occurs.

A real conundrum. What to do, what to do.

21 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

You can't fight "bullying" (quotes used on purpose, because what goes on on the internet between adults who voluntarily interact with one another IS NOT "bullying", and vastly dilutes and diminishes those in life who are actually being bullied), by becoming what you claim to be fighting.

Since you brought it up, let's talk about it: you're curt. Some would say dismissive. You called Oakman a "preachy SOB" simply for suggesting you ought to take at least a smidgen of responsibility in this transaction. Oakman is a relatively mild-mannered dude, who can be a bit abrasive sometimes, but "preachy SOB" doesn't remotely describe him. (ME on the other hand...spot on!)

But disagreeing with someone is not "bullying" them.

Challenging someone is not "bullying" them.

Far, far too much provocation goes on by people looking to cause trouble. And I agree, there is an incredibly, immensely lopsided philosophy and practice when it comes to dealing with these issues. Provocateurs and instigators are (almost) completely ignored, but those defending themselves are labeled the provocateurs. Trust me, I get it. And absolutely, provocateurs and instigators SHOULD be challenged, at all turns...with reason and logic. But becoming cynical and reacting to everyone, or at least many, as if they're all doing the same thing, doesn't do anyone any good, and robs both you and the board of the good you have to contribute. Again, I get it. There are a handful of very, very bad actors, who get free range on this board, and that shouldn't be. But not everyone is, and this board is not anywhere near as bad as its painted. You want junior high time? Try Voldy's board. 

If people...all of us, including me....would be slower to be offended, and quicker to listen, we'd all have a much better time of it. That's true everywhere in life

But I respect the fact that you didn't go silent, and instead decided to address this head-on. 

For whatever any of that is worth to you, which may be nothing, and that's ok.

RMA, you and I may not see eye to eye on a lot of things but I appreciate that you took the time to write everything you just did and add value with your message.

12 hours ago, thirdgreenham said:

I am glad that you posted and addressed this.

I actually like you as Red_Hood.  We need people like you who try to keep the sales threads adhering to the rules.  From what I've read of your posts, you have actually been a decent contributor and shown respect to other boardies, with the exception of how you reacted to  oakman29 in this thread. 

Now, I must say, I was never fond of your actions that lead to your sabbatical.  As you've pointed out, that was a long time ago.  I never really thought about how long ago that truly was.  People can and do change.

I've always believed that one of the greatest things that we can do as people is forgive.  Not that you need it from me specifically, but I'm going to move on.  :foryou:

Andy

Andy, I don't think I can ever forgive you.  For what?  I'm not sure but I'll think of something....

RMA posted "on on" in a Post. Of course anything that followed made no sense at all, and won't, until justification for a double 'on" is explained.

27 minutes ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

RMA posted "on on" in a Post. Of course anything that followed made no sense at all, and won't, until justification for a double 'on" is explained.

Pffft...perfect syntax:

"what goes on on the internet"

16 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Pffft...perfect syntax:

"what goes on on the internet"

"Where did you read that"? "I read it on a book".:baiting: