• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can/should this be graded?

4 posts in this topic

So I just found and purchased this copy of the Swamp Thing sourcebook/adventure for the DC Heros RPG by Mayfair Games Inc. circa 1991.

However, I didn't know that it was sealed until it arrived and now I'm hesitant to open it and am considering having it graded. It has credits including Alan Moore and Len Wein and it looks to be in decent condition except for some wear around the edges. Comically, it does have a dead bug trapped at the very bottom of cover behind the plastic, but I also thought that may be viewed as a health liability by the CGC. 

I can find no record of one having been graded before and I thought it'd be appropriate to trying having it done. It isn't a comic or a magazine, but I can't image the CGC refusing it for that reason. If nothing else, it'd be great to have some more experienced opinions on the matter. Thank you. 

15266008258021247187650.jpg

15266008496211127613839.jpg

I don't know that collecting comics bagged in shrinkwrap during the 1990s is a thing. If anything, that old plastic will decay. When I get a bagged comic, I free it from the old plastic and put it in mylar to preserve it. If you want it graded by CGC, you'll have to remove the bag before sending it in. 

My opinion, a bagged copy does not increase value significantly if at all. The bag at this point is a liability and the comic should be put in a fresh bag (preferably mylar). Keeping it in the original plastic for value (ie 1990s) went away long ago when people realized that the bag can often hurt the condition of the book and hides defects. 

1 hour ago, FN-2199 said:

I don't know that collecting comics bagged in shrinkwrap during the 1990s is a thing. If anything, that old plastic will decay. When I get a bagged comic, I free it from the old plastic and put it in mylar to preserve it. If you want it graded by CGC, you'll have to remove the bag before sending it in. 

My opinion, a bagged copy does not increase value significantly if at all. The bag at this point is a liability and the comic should be put in a fresh bag (preferably mylar). Keeping it in the original plastic for value (ie 1990s) went away long ago when people realized that the bag can often hurt the condition of the book and hides defects. 

I agree.  And yes, I'm pretty sure it CAN be graded.  If you're a CGC collector of Swamp Thing stuff, it's probably pretty cool to grade it if you think it gets 9.0 and above.  If its just sitting in your house and you want to sell it and think grading it will up your profit...you probably need to do some research and get lucky on the right buyer, and preferably hit a high grade.  If you're really considering grading, take it out and inspect closely.