• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$5,000 to invest... what in?!
1 1

59 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I'm a very casual investor in Ireland but want to start doing a little more. So, I've $5,000 burning a hole in my pocket and I was wondering what would you advise? Spend it all on one? Or buy a few? Which ones would you go for and would you go for a high grade and a lesser comic or would you do the opposite? 

FYI, I've been looking at a Hulk 181 (8.5) but the guy wants $3,600 and I think it's overpriced. Would love your advice and thoughts!

I think investing in comic books when you obviously don't know what you're doing (no offense intended, but if you did you wouldn't be asking us) is a bad idea. There are far better ways to invest your money than putting into collectibles, especially when said collectibles are at an all time high (buy low, sell high and all that.)

For example, GPA on that Hulk 181 is currently $3,371, so the seller was in the ballpark. You should take the time to learn about what you're investing in, regardless of what that is. Comic books are a speculator's market, is that really what you want to sink your $5k into?

4 hours ago, SilverSniper said:

I think investing in comic books when you obviously don't know what you're doing (no offense intended, but if you did you wouldn't be asking us) is a bad idea. There are far better ways to invest your money than putting into collectibles, especially when said collectibles are at an all time high (buy low, sell high and all that.)

For example, GPA on that Hulk 181 is currently $3,371, so the seller was in the ballpark. You should take the time to learn about what you're investing in, regardless of what that is. Comic books are a speculator's market, is that really what you want to sink your $5k into?

Sage Advice !!!

Investing because you hear about someone else making money isn't a good idea, for every 10 people who are making a living selling comics for profits there's 90 people who've sunk money towards books they can't make their money back on, let alone at times a fractional amount of what they paid.

Quality over quantity, and blue chip stocks (key books) as opposed to possible feast or famine sexy moderns like the variants, signature series, etc.

The one thing about collectibles is you need to find your own buyer and inherently there is no material value (as precious metals and gems do) per se, and just because you see a book for sale at a certain price or listed in a price guide, does not mean you can get that same money, or instantly cash out like how easy it is to buy and sell stocks to get paid out quickly.

Research is your best friend, do it yourself, and don't go 100% off of fishing via blogs.  That's what will make it fun for you.  Otherwise if you're looking for someone to tell you to buy a certain book you know nothing about, nor care about, you should find another investment.  Comic investing is for fans.  Buy what you like, then if it goes down, you're not upset.

Sorry to butt in, 2 years late!

But I'm right now in the same spot (looking to invest $5,000) and found this chat.

In my opinion, you should have bought Hulk #181 for $3,600. Well, now it's going down (obviously will keep doing so until the pandemic is over). But it's a Big Book.

Me on the other hand, I want to buy Avengers #1 but I still don't know when am I going to receive my money. the operation is going thru the court of law and then came the Covid-19 pandemic  to spoil the timeline. Hopefuly, I'll get the money in a good moment for buyers.

New Cases.jpg

If you're going to invest I think you would be best off getting into a book at the right time, which requires a lot of knowledge /luck and isn't easy to do. Like a couple years ago prior to the release of the Spiderman Homecoming movie AF15 got a huge jump in value but not  all of the sellers realized it yet so it was a great opportunity. I was able to buy and flip one for a nice profit. So if you could find a book that is selling low it would be a great way to grab something to hold onto as an investment. 

Of course having said that, if it was that easy then we would all be doing it daily (shrug)

6 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Your best bet is the BMO.TO stock right now. Will give you a better return than any comic.

Thank you very much for the heads up, but I'm a retired 60 yo guy who wish to re-do his childhood past time. I know I can invest somewhere else and I do actually. I have like US $ 272,000 invested in bonds, but right now I'm loosing 10% and before that I was lucky in Stock market but never want to go back there (too risky). Right now I'm happy only with SA Comics! 

EDIT:  I'm sorry if it sounded as bragging, this is not my intention. Need I add thas only part of it is my money, the rest belongs to my wife, 2 stepsons and brother in-law. 

New Cases.jpg

Edited by Memorex

3 hours ago, Memorex said:

Thank you very much for the heads up, but I'm a retired 60 yo guy who wish to re-do his childhood past time. I know I can invest somewhere else and I do actually. I have like US $ 272,000 invested in bonds, but right now I'm loosing 10% and before that I was lucky in Stock market but never want to go back there (too risky). Right now I'm happy only with SA Comics! 

EDIT:  I'm sorry if it sounded as bragging, this is not my intention. Need I add thas only part of it is my money, the rest belongs to my wife, 2 stepsons and brother in-law. 

New Cases.jpg

Well my next recomendation was gonna be a GA comic since that's what I would buy if I had 5000 to spare. I'd get the best copy I could afford of Marvel Family 1. It's a rare book in a nice grade and the first appearance of Black Adam.

2 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Pick up a TMNT 1 first print or Albedo 2

I sicerely appretiate this information. This is way beyond my comicbook collection time but still, good to know! I collected comics during my last years living in the USA (1972-1973) and my small collection comes down to Avengers  3, 5, 14, 16-111 also Captain America 100-161 so now I'm willing to buy only key books regardless of their age (gold, silver, bronce or modern). 

5 minutes ago, Memorex said:

I sicerely appretiate this information. This is way beyond my comicbook collection time but still, good to know! I collected comics during my last years living in the USA (1972-1973) and my small collection comes down to Avengers  3, 5, 14, 16-111 also Captain America 100-161 so now I'm willing to buy only key books regardless of their age (gold, silver, bronce or modern). 

Oh yeah, those two are HUGE copper keys... incredibly difficult to find...  I can't even find Albedo 2 on ebay anymore.... there were  2 copies last year around this time

1 hour ago, Mercury Man said:

A good ETF has better upside right now, than any comic book.   

I agree, but then, isn't this the right moment to invest in comics? When the prices are in a downslope, I mean.

7 minutes ago, Memorex said:

I agree, but then, isn't this the right moment to invest in comics? When the prices are in a downslope, I mean.

It is really not. As discussed in other threads on this site, sale prices are up rather than down. Some comics are scoring all time high prices. I really don't think comics are a good investment now, at all. Hence the recomendation by me and others to look at the stock market instead.

The only comic I found on a downward slope (and this has been the case for a few years now) is brave and the bold 29. But that doesnt mean it will go up on day either. It just means less people care about second appearances now.

You should think hard before investing in comics. 1. You are in bonds, safe, low risk and low reward but doesn't take any work. Comic investing takes time and work. Need to be a creative thinker. 2. If you have to ask or type in books to invest in you are in trouble. Imo most advice is awful. Surprisingly there are a few people on here that give some good tips. But are you going to be able to tell the good from the bad? I even give great tips, but would never give away my A+++ recommendations and doubt others will either. I say hulk 181 xmen 1 giant size ff1 48 5 avg 1 are not good investments. I am a minority on that so are you going to take my advice or others? So even if you can figure out on your own what to buy and sell, you need to be able to determine what advice to take. Hulk 181 drop has nothing to do with covid, would of dropped more if not for stimulus check. And $300 is nothing on a 4 grand book. 

My advice sell anything that has been in a movie since 2012 or rumored for top dollar. Black night avg 4 cap 100 117 sit and wait with your stockpile of $ to when comics drop or stocks in airlines, cruises, amusement parks, anything that depends on concerts. Whatever opportunity arises first. There pretty much isn't any risk for a comic investor. Just very few of them. Mostly people who want to be or think they are comic investors. Start small then work your way up. Learn from little mistakes, not huge ones. You will either learn to tell good advice from bad and then not need any advice or you will fail and quit. Maybe somewhere in between which is good enough. 

Probably the obvious best thing to do is buy huge runs of a bunch of series and then over time as movies and other hype machines raise the value of books you're already covered because you've got that issue as part of your run :nyah:

I say that jokingly (wasn't real advice) , but as someone who is a completionist from a collecting standpoint and not because of value it is a nice lil surprise to see a bunch of value collectors getting all riled up by the next hot book and knowing I already have it because it was part of my run, not because of a movie rumor :banana: