• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nickel City Con 2018 Report
2 2

51 posts in this topic

Thanks for the pictures.  I bet most of the $25 is going to Hulk Hogansince I’m sure they did not come close to his minimums.

Were these pictures taken before the crowd came in, or was this a poorly attended show?  I ask because I have been noticing a definite downward trend in the average show. I think the bubble has burst.  The last few years, if a show was on, people showed up.  Now, not as much.

Blowie: kind of what i figured 6 dealers listed in exibitors on their web site> None of the wrestling celebrities had any forum panels scheduled i kind of had a feeling that buffalo may not be the place for a cultural event like a 3 day comic show. Especially when there are 2 larger shows within driving distance of this one. I live here and love comcs but have no interest in investing time and money for a show where i would be ready to leave in less than 2 hrs.It great to have a collectable show like dave and adams local to shop at but you think that they would do some research as to the benefit of a 3 day show vs a 1 day show do away with the celebs, get back to the basics of more comic dealers and less of the other stuff, community beer works, Lasic vision repair, paulas doughnuts, clothing etc what a joke.  We kind of look a bit foolish if you ask me in the convention scene. based on the pics ( turnout) i though it might be a ted hanes show...... 

Edited by anstettoman

3 minutes ago, anstettoman said:

Blowie: kind of what i figured 6 dealers listed in exibitors on their web site> None of the wrestling celebrities had any forum panels scheduled i kind of had a feeling that buffalo may not be the place for a cultural event like a 3 day comic show. Especially when there are 2 larger shows within driving distance of this one. I live here and love comcs but have no interest in investing time and money for a show where i would be ready to leave in less than 2 hrs.It great to have a collectable show like dave and adams local to shop at but you think that they would do some research as to the benefit of a 3 day show vs a 1 day show do away with the celebs, get back to the basics of more comic dealers and less of the other stuff old school.  We kind of look a bit foolish if you ask me in the convention scene. based on the pics  turnout) i though it might be a ted hanes show...... 

There were several shows on this weekend.

Detroit Motor City show being the biggest and it would definitely draw people from a relatively large radius.

I went to Motor City (3 hour drive). I didn't even realize there was a show on in Buffalo (1.5 hour drive).

7 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

There were more food vendors than comic dealers.

$25 to get in.

It looks like they were plumping the nerds for Thanksgiving slaughter...., :p

Turnout was great.  I got into the show around 11:30a Saturday; it opened at 10a.  I didn't take any pictures of the celebrity area, which was packed.

Here's a screencap taken from this video: http://www.wivb.com/news/local-news/thousands-come-out-for-nickel-city-comicon_20180314092127607/1042874606

crowd.thumb.jpg.88fb56090f870035f74f406400a9afc3.jpg

Here are pictures from Saturday via The Buffalo News: http://buffalonews.com/2018/05/19/gallery10613/

On the other hand, I didn't buy anything although I was in a buying mood/mode.  Asking prices were unrealistic. 

I didn't see anyone else buying anything from any vendor.  Didn't see anyone carrying any purchases besides beer and soda. 

IMG_20180519_115024520.thumb.jpg.0bda496383af9a9b3f89dd68fa21e1f6.jpgfuntime.thumb.jpg.9d3d61ba123f044eb08c4b7af7b33847.jpg

IMG_20180520_105859078.thumb.jpg.7b48caaff40f3e5486d87fc730ca824e.jpg