• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

and you though we were weird. My day at the doll convention
1 1

74 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, oakman29 said:

I like the twins. 

Godzilla vs. Mothra I think.

They're always saying stuff like mothra is really p----- off and he wants people to-

ONE AT A TIME LADIES

IF MOTHRA HAS SOMETHING TO SAY TO ME HE CAN SAY IT TO MY FACE!!!

5 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Nothing beats Gamera the Invincible.

gamera_1980_01.jpg

Never saw this one, but my oldest brother used to always tell me about it - the turtle with jets!

6 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

gamera_1980_01.jpg

"Gamera is really neat

he is made of turtle meat" - MST3k

9 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

gamera_1980_01.jpg

Oh I loved Gamera in the Guardians of the Galaxy movie!

On 5/19/2018 at 3:10 PM, NoMan said:

Was getting coffee with The Redhead this morning and we noticed a doll convention at the local Elks Building. Sure, why not. Let's take a look. Dig my wife for that: she just likes to explore. So we go in and it's a doll convention. Not an action figure/robot thing but a doll convention. Old timey dolls. Did see one Evel Kenevel figure that I had never seen before. 6 inches tall. From the 70s. $150.00. Found a table with a box of comics. 90s drek. $3.00 a book. "There not new, they're old," lady tells me.

Anyways, I see these ladies pushing around in baby strollers and carrying some very, very sick looking babies. I go in for recon. They're dolls! But they look REAL! I mean really, really real. I hear these ladies talking to the dolls. "What do you think of this outfit, Bertha? I know you and I don't have much time left together so I want to buy you whatever clothes you want!"

Man it was weird so the investigative journalist in me goes into action and I start asking questions. Seems these people are called "Reborners" in the doll world. They make/buy/collect very, very real looking babies and some treat them as if they are real. You can get some in various stages of sickness to, I guess, nurse them on their deathbed.

Noman's on the job so you don't have to!

Come on, everyone in this thread can't deny they have taken slabs out and set them on the couch to watch a sporting event, set a spot at the table for a meal, have slab parties where they all just hang around and chit chat("nice colors, dude!", "man, look at your wrap, that's the best!"), feign innocence to your favorite 9.4 slab and say "No, I wasn't looking at that 9.6, really I wasn't, you are the one for me!" or saying "No, that slab case doesn't make you look fat".

For me, it was Dr. SHock in Philly. He not only ran all of those great B pictures, but also introduced me and other young audiences to truly classic films like the original Frankenstein and Dracula, Edgar Ulmer's The Black Cat, and The Bride of Frankenstein.

Edited by Larryw7