• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

and you though we were weird. My day at the doll convention
1 1

74 posts in this topic

Have any of you ever taken your daughter/granddaughter to the “American Girl” store?  Some of them have restaurants in them.  You take your kid (and their doll).  Once you’re seated, your server comes to the table to take your order (just like normal), except they also treat the doll just like a customer as well, asking it what it would like to eat/drink.  It’s bizarre.  You can also go there and they have a day spa where your child and their doll(s) can get hair, nails, etc. done.

It’s a genius racket.  And really weird.

15 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

Have any of you ever taken your daughter/granddaughter to the “American Girl” store?  Some of them have restaurants in them.  You take your kid (and their doll).  Once you’re seated, your server comes to the table to take your order (just like normal), except they also treat the doll just like a customer as well, asking it what it would like to eat/drink.  It’s bizarre.  You can also go there and they have a day spa where your child and their doll(s) can get hair, nails, etc. done.

I refuse to participate in that insanity

Edited by Wolverinex

Mercifully, my daughter wasn’t obsessed with them, so only did that once.  When she wanted an American Girl doll, we got her the Walmart knockoff and she was fine with it.  We ended up getting the real deal from a relative that had gotten too old for it.

We used to babysit a neighborhood girl and she became like a granddaughter to us. She became VERY focused on Monster High dolls for a few years..... luckily 20 bucks would go a long way with them. Some of them were actually kind of cool. She's moved to Florida now and has graduated to Anime' and producing her own art, wants to be a fashion designer ..... but I kind of miss those Monster High days.....

I used to work at a service station years ago, and the boss's wife collected Barbie ...many were early ones and worth a lot, but I didn't really know what I was looking at. 

GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

1 hour ago, chrisco37 said:

But the reborners seem to have taken it a step FURTHER and are comforting their baby dolls while they "die." Imagine if there was an American Girl hospital with doctors and all. 

Edited by NoMan

22 minutes ago, NoMan said:

But the reborners seem to have taken it a step FURTHER and are comforting their baby dolls while the die. Imagine if there was an American Girl hospital with doctors and all. 

That and of course the difference between being an adult and a child..............that is what is really creepy. 

51 minutes ago, wombat said:

That and of course the difference between being an adult and a child..............that is what is really creepy. 

It said in the article on the first page that it stems from someone who has had many miscarriages.  It must be some kind of mental way of coping with the loss of a child. Or I could be completely wrong , and they're just batsheit weird.

8 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

It said in the article on the first page that it stems from someone who has had many miscarriages.  It must be some kind of mental way of coping with the loss of a child. Or I could be completely wrong , and they're just batsheit weird.

I've come to the conclusion that in my reality, most everyone else is batsheit weird. :p

Except jimmers.

4 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I've come to the conclusion that in my reality, most everyone else is batsheit weird. :p

Except jimmers.

Amen to that my brother.  I think we are in the same boat.

Has anyone here seen Con Man (short episodic series by Alan Tudyk & Nathan Fillion)?  There was an episode about this very thing, when a doll convention was held at the same time as a comic con.  Tricia Helfer was the doll collector in the episode. More frightening than any Cylon.

3 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Dropping by the American Girl Doll store in NYC for my youngest daughter so she could buy some stuff was part of her 8th Birthday gift a number of years back. She had a few of the dolls, and accessories, but fortunately wasn't interested in the whole day spa/restaurant aspect.

She was doll obsessed until adolescence, and had a coupe dozen child and baby types, most of them inexpensive, but a few nicer ones from various Christmases, etc.  Strangely didn't give any of her dolls permanent names, but would create new names for various elaborate scenarios she would concoct, sometimes alone, sometimes with friends, like playing "School" where she would be both the teacher and the mother of a child who was having issues with other kids, or "Orphanage"  where she would be both the woman who ran the orphanage and the prospective parent. It was fascinating, though admittedly mildly disturbing, to hear her carry on involved conversations, speaking for imagined characters and the dolls,  alone in her room for an hour at a time. When she hit her teen years she traded in playing with dolls for binge watching CW shows on her laptop. 

It's difficult and expensive to continue to bring you people these hard hitting exposes I do. To bring new information, ideas, cultures. The least you guys could do is set up some kind of donation account for me and my time/trouble. It's difficult for me mentally to see such things but I do it because I CARE!

I need HG (9.2 - 9.6) raw un pressed  x men 102 and 107 to complete run.

I need solid reading copies of the Byrne FF run 232 to - ?

As my favorite crazy UHF Tee Vee preacher Dr. Gene Scott used to say (boy do I miss him), "YOU GOTTA PAY WHERE YOU EAT!"

1 hour ago, Logan510 said:
16 hours ago, comicdonna said:

lol  I don't think that's what he meant.  

He’s a Phish fan, so that could’ve been exactly what he meant :)

banana082.gif

My wife is an antique dealer. She has a good knowledge of them and sells good ones as fast as she gets them. Some of the French and German ones from turn of the century bring BIG money. She sold 3 of them a couple of years ago for enough to pay cash for a new Jeep. She doesn’t collect them or anything, just sells them. She used to collect pre1930 German Steiff teddy bears but has sold almost her whole collection. She kept a few though including one of the rarest. A black Steiff 1906 bear that only a few hundred were made as gifts for children who survived the Titanic disaster. 

She doesn’t go to comic conventions and I don’t go to doll shows. She has picked me up a few though. A 1940 wooden jointed Superman and one of my favorites, a very large painted composition Jeep from Popeye. 

Hey, different strokes. Sometimes, I wish  I was more of a seller than keeper like her. Probably some day...