• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tracking Down the Earliest BATMAN Art in Existence

69 posts in this topic

I'm trying to find an image or knowledge of the earliest known batman artwork to exist, I'm talking like earlier than 1942 if possible. As a lot of golden age art hasn't survived, I think it would be interesting to find which is the earliest Batman art surviving today.

I've heard of the Bob Kane Da Vinci sketches supposedly from 1939, but there's speculation to their authenticity.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/02/02/detective-comics-27-production-proofs-offer-stunning-look-at-first-batman-art/ claims that a page from Batman #1 still exists. Any proof of this? Any photos?

Also know of the Batman #11 cover from 1942 sold at Heritage, so is there anything earlier than that?

Let me know what you think.

Edited by Collectr

This has been covered somewhere on this board.  You need to find a copy of the 1987 (or is it 1986?) Guernsey's auction catalogue.  The Batman 1 page is in there.  And somewhere on the board archives... It's a Joker page. 

1 hour ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Would the 1st Joker Splash from BM #1 go 7 figures? Literal 1st Joker appearance. 

I am not sue but it would have a better chance than this other page.  Although I don't think the posted page would hammer at over $1,000,000 it is a real cool page.

16 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

Same. Far from it. No Batman on the page.

It would be very interesting to know the story behind this page - why it was kept and survived as opposed to any other pages.  Although I suppose it's possible that other pages have survived but just haven't surfaced...

1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:

It would be very interesting to know the story behind this page - why it was kept and survived as opposed to any other pages.  Although I suppose it's possible that other pages have survived but just haven't surfaced...

I think the fact that this page survived suggests that the rest of the pages from this issue also survived.

5 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I think the fact that this page survived suggests that the rest of the pages from this issue also survived.

I don't know that one can jump to that conclusion...

3 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

I don't know that one can jump to that conclusion...

The problem is that virtually all of OA pages that survived from this early period tend to be covers, rescued by people like Jerry Robinson. 

Someome rescued this random page? Why? It makes more sense if you assume someone rescued the whole Joker story.

Edited by PhilipB2k17