• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics4less
2 2

70 posts in this topic

So I'm surfing the waves on Ebay and I notice that this seller's raw books are all ending at or above current GPA levels. None below GP and some at many multiples of GP!

The feedback is very good and I'm looking at the scans expecting to see books that appear way better than the grades assigned, given the prices well above GP that each of them is generating.

The grading appears to be on the money, some IMO dead on and others no more than 1 tick higher or lower than the grade assigned. Which for ebay, is a miracle.

Nonetheless, some of these are bringing triple GPA and are readily available already CGCed at half the price of what's being paid, and this is on books that are "hot" or "cold".

Has anyone else noticed this? Is this some kind of new trend where raw brings more than, and in some cases, 2 to 3 times more than CGC graded?

57 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

So I'm surfing the waves on Ebay and I notice that this seller's raw books are all ending at or above current GPA levels. None below GP and some at many multiples of GP!

The feedback is very good and I'm looking at the scans expecting to see books that appear way better than the grades assigned, given the prices well above GP that each of them is generating.

The grading appears to be on the money, some IMO dead on and others no more than 1 tick higher or lower than the grade assigned. Which for ebay, is a miracle.

Nonetheless, some of these are bringing triple GPA and are readily available already CGCed at half the price of what's being paid, and this is on books that are "hot" or "cold".

Has anyone else noticed this? Is this some kind of new trend where raw brings more than, and in some cases, 2 to 3 times more than CGC graded?

Yes.

People are betting on the books being undergraded, which in the past I believe was chronic.

Look at the scans carefully before buying.

1 hour ago, JollyComics said:

I sold few collections to him and bought many books from him. He has 3457 followers and has a good reputation. No question about him.

I had no concerns about him, appears to be a good grader, though going by the scans certainly not undergrading that one would think raw books would be fetching $100 for the same grade in a CGC slab for $50 or less! Just seemed very odd that he can command so far above CGC prices for raw books. I can't remember when I've ever seen that before, it's usually the other way around. CGC bringing more than raw. I see VF books with spine and corner creases that are obviously not better than VF going for CGC 9.4 prices. Just plain weird, 3500 followers of not. I couldn't imagine why all of them seem willing to pay that type of money for rather common bronze, copper, and modern age books in plentiful CGC supply at 1/2 to 1/3rd the price.

Edited by James J Johnson

I have noticed that if a seller lists 'high grade' even if the pics dont really reflect that they sell for a premium.  It's like there are all these buyers that dont really know what high grade is so they just assume the seller knows better and they pay up.  Even when i was new to ebay and overgraded, people snapped stuff up happily with no complaints.

5 minutes ago, kav said:

I have noticed that if a seller lists 'high grade' even if the pics dont really reflect that they sell for a premium.  It's like there are all these buyers that dont really know what high grade is so they just assume the seller knows better and they pay up.  Even when i was new to ebay and overgraded, people snapped stuff up happily with no complaints.

He's not overgrading. But, he's not undergrading either. And when you look at the scans, that's fairly evident. They're good scans so the defects are all obvious.

3 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I know that I have my favorite sellers, if they don't have it I'll wait until they do.

Surely this guy has his 

Yeah - I can think of a few high profile dealers that charge some really high prices, and they must make sales, because they stay in business.

I gave up shopping there, as I can do better elsewhere.

The question to ask is "what are you comparing"? 

If you're comparing comics4less' "8.5" to a CGC 8.5, that's not really a straight across comparison.

Frequently...and often with a press and a clean...a comics4less 8.5 can end up in a 9.2 or 9.4 slab.

41 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:
46 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I gave up shopping there, as I can do better elsewhere.

me too i hardly ever buy from eBay anymore because very few new stuff comes to the eBay market anymore and what does is waaaaay overpriced...

I buy a ton from eBay at great prices.  I was talking about the high profile dealers elsewhere.

1 minute ago, Kramerica said:

All I can think of is that he must do everything perfectly and professionally - low starting bid, great scans, high grade and/or hot books, no hassle return policy, he can grade well, great customer service and then safe and quick shipping. You check off all the boxes and the customers will follow. Especially on a site like eBay that has so many seller fails. People find someone they can trust and they stick with them and don't mind paying a premium. This guy is obviously doing everything right. Kudos to him.

...this.

Another couple of things, I've seen CGC overgrade books and as a collector who has deslabbed quit a few (..I like raw books), I've found defects that bug me after removing from the slab..... primarily popped staples in the 7.0 range and spine splits and tears as high as 8.5, so that may account for a person's raw books going for more..... especially if they list that sort of thing. I follow that seller, but rarely win anything, but most of what I'm looking at are the items that AREN'T readily available elsewhere. Also, there are many people who still prefer raw books.... and the newer the CGC case, the harder it is to free the book. Plus, eBay offers buyer protection on raw books, boosting confidence, especially on raw sellers who grade tightly. Then there's the auction setting..... some folks hate losing and enter high max bids, two of those and POW ! Perhaps those folks don't realize that overpaying is also losing. Comics4less does have one of the best reps on ebay, and also does shows with Leroy Harper .... also wildly popular due to great service. Ebay also offers coupons and rebates, which can alter the actual bottom line. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

He's not overgrading. But, he's not undergrading either. And when you look at the scans, that's fairly evident. They're good scans so the defects are all obvious.

My rule of thumb....everyone goes over that book I wanted and it goes too high. Either way I back off or put my max bid. That is how it works for me.  Too many followers are out of control.