• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics4less
2 2

70 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

that makes absolutely no sense..

That's what struck me as bizarre about the results. I could see getting CGC graded 9.2 and 9.4 prices for raw VFs it if a seller is grading a book VF and the scans are super-clear and show CGC 9.2 and 9.4 quality items. But this isn't a case like that. The scans and his grades show that he's a competent grader, but his VFs are not CGC NM quality.

1 hour ago, JollyComics said:

My rule of thumb....everyone goes over that book I wanted and it goes too high. Either way I back off or put my max bid. That is how it works for me.  Too many followers are out of control.

I understand. A lot of it is speculation. They are mostly low dollar books so even if you bid far more than you should, based on spec, and miss, the low-dollar value will assure that you miss small.

Ebay prices are getting out of hand and it is also a seller's market.  Sold a book tonight above GPA due to movie speculation.  I bought it last month at half of what I sold it for tonight.  I also sold a Lego set tonight that was above average in price.   People feel that they have money to spend.  Have at it.  I hope it goes up ever more and you make some money so you come back for more.

I want to buy a car and redo the bathroom this year and next year I want to redo the roof. 

By all means... 

Incidentally this is why when people ask me if I will do better on a book or toy or even a piece of jewelry I tell them that I am comfortable with the current price point I have for that item.  

Edited by Buzzetta

2 hours ago, Kramerica said:

All I can think of is that he must do everything perfectly and professionally - low starting bid, great scans, high grade and/or hot books, no hassle return policy, he can grade well, great customer service and then safe and quick shipping. You check off all the boxes and the customers will follow. Especially on a site like eBay that has so many seller fails. People find someone they can trust and they stick with them and don't mind paying a premium. This guy is obviously doing everything right. Kudos to him.

I forgot to mention - don't underestimate the power of having your auctions end on Sunday evening when everyone is home and buying comics and drinking beers. Someone also mentioned the "don't want to lose" mentality - that is huge as well.

11 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I understand. A lot of it is speculation. They are mostly low dollar books so even if you bid far more than you should, based on spec, and miss, the low-dollar value will assure that you miss small.

3-5 years ago, I won many books from the seller but last two years I won less and much less due to too many and way too high bids. I go somewhere else. I used to win many books from jscomics and sparklecitycomics few years earlier. Now both sellers overgrade books and have few thousand followers.

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

Zilaf has been that way as well for years.

Keep in mind there are some buyers that prefer raw to slabbed as well.

Years ago i asked a question about a Conan comic from zilaf and didnt buy it and he blocked me.  So many of his books I have wanted over the years....

9 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

3-5 years ago, I won many books from the seller but last two years I won less and much less due to too many and way too high bids. I go somewhere else. I used to win many books from jscomics and sparklecitycomics few years earlier. Now both sellers overgrade books and have few thousand followers.

From what I could see, and both of these sellers use high quality, high rez scans, the grading is atrocious, though JS not quite as bad as Sparkle. I was looking at the Sparkle City raw books tonight and was aghast at some of the grades matching the scans. And I'm not talking about tone or subtleties. I mean books graded VF/NM with bends and creases running the full length of the spine. Bidding was a lot more subdued on their books, understandably, given the gross over-grading evident by easily seen defects.

2 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

From what I could see, and both of these sellers use high quality, high rez scans, the grading is atrocious, though JS not quite as bad as Sparkle. I was looking at the Sparkle City raw books tonight and was aghast at some of the grades matching the scans. And I'm not talking about tone or subtleties. I mean books graded VF/NM with bends and creases running the full length of the spine. Bidding was a lot more subdued on their books, understandably, given the gross over-grading evident by easily seen defects.

Sparkle is a joke. JS is hit and miss, really have to look at the scans. 

Peter (Comics4less) is a great example of how one can build a solid business on eBay. Low starting bid, no reserve auctions. Every single week. Conservative grading. cheap but secure and quick shipping, easy returns. 

I discovered him early on and nabbed a good number of bargains. But as time went on Peter amassed more and more followers. It is RARE that anything goes cheap now. I still purchase a few books from them every once in a while. But it tends to be the more obscure stuff that I like (say Charlton or Tower Superhero) where I'm not competing with as many buyers. 

Comics4less attends a lot of shows but only brings inexpensive $1-$3 books.  At those shows he goes looking for inventory.  He sells literally all of his good stuff on eBay, not shows. 

It's a solid business model that if someone wanted to put in the work, time and money could be duplicated. 

9 hours ago, Kramerica said:
11 hours ago, Kramerica said:

All I can think of is that he must do everything perfectly and professionally - low starting bid, great scans, high grade and/or hot books, no hassle return policy, he can grade well, great customer service and then safe and quick shipping. You check off all the boxes and the customers will follow. Especially on a site like eBay that has so many seller fails. People find someone they can trust and they stick with them and don't mind paying a premium. This guy is obviously doing everything right. Kudos to him.

I forgot to mention - don't underestimate the power of having your auctions end on Sunday evening when everyone is home and buying comics and drinking beers. Someone also mentioned the "don't want to lose" mentality - that is huge as well.

"I really want/need something" + "Alcohol" = High $ Spent

9 hours ago, JollyComics said:

Wow - that sounds just like me.  I probably purchased 500 or more books from jscomics over the years.

For some reason though, jscomics blocked me, but I still bid on my wife's account, but rarely, as the grading has gone from hit or miss to terrible.  And they don't mention stuff like foxing.  jscomics is another one where the prices realized are pretty high in relation to the quality of the items offered.

25 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Wow - that sounds just like me.  I probably purchased 500 or more books from jscomics over the years.

For some reason though, jscomics blocked me, but I still bid on my wife's account, but rarely, as the grading has gone from hit or miss to terrible.  And they don't mention stuff like foxing.  jscomics is another one where the prices realized are pretty high in relation to the quality of the items offered.

Surprisingly he didn't block me. I returned about 25 books - mostly have foxing/oxidation.

Edited by JollyComics

7 minutes ago, JollyComics said:
23 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Surprisingly he didn't block me. I returned about 25 books - mostly have foxing/oxidation.

I sometimes get p.o.'d at the people who want stuff more than me, so I run up their bids and leave the books to them.  I probably looked like a js-shill to the other customers.

22 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I sometimes get p.o.'d at the people who want stuff more than me, so I run up their bids and leave the books to them.  I probably looked like a js-shill to the other customers.

:bigsmile: - I do sometimes but avoid my consequences.

10 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

That's what struck me as bizarre about the results. I could see getting CGC graded 9.2 and 9.4 prices for raw VFs it if a seller is grading a book VF and the scans are super-clear and show CGC 9.2 and 9.4 quality items. But this isn't a case like that. The scans and his grades show that he's a competent grader, but his VFs are not CGC NM quality.

Very strange.  With that business model they could buy GCC 8.0, crack them out and sell them for 9.2/9.4 prices. 

People don't always use judgement when bidding on an auction.  I had a nice set of Infinity War 1-6 sell for $82 in an auction when I had pretty much an identical set up for sale as a BIN for $59.99.  

12 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Zilaf has been that way as well for years.

Keep in mind there are some buyers that prefer raw to slabbed as well.

Zillaf4 aka Todd Lange is the first booth I hit each year at Motor City. Usually have no problem finding quality books with him at great prices. He’s also one of the nicest guys you’d ever meet.

Re comics4less, another factor for me when bidding on his auctions is his low shipping rates to Canada. I can focus on the books rather than worrying that I’m racking up an insane amount of shipping charges.

12 minutes ago, letsgrumble said:

Zillaf4 aka Todd Lange is the first booth I hit each year at Motor City. Usually have no problem finding quality books with him at great prices. He’s also one of the nicest guys you’d ever meet.

Re comics4less, another factor for me when bidding on his auctions is his low shipping rates to Canada. I can focus on the books rather than worrying that I’m racking up an insane amount of shipping charges.

Oh snap - Zillaf4 set up at Motor City?  Anyone have a picture of him so I can tell if I bought from him.