• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Deadpool NON-APPRECIATION Thread.
3 3

44 posts in this topic

As the title states.  I don't like the character.  Never did.  Never will.  I own no solo Deadpool comics.  If for some reason he makes an appearance in a title I do read, I usually roll my eyes and hand over my money to the LCS owner.   If I fell into a New Mutant 98 at a Garage Sale or in a dollar bin, I would sell it tomorrow. 

If Spider-Man and Punisher had child, raised by a Weapon X employee, I guess it would be Deadpool.  I caught parts of his first movie, found him to be even more obnoxious than I could imagine.   So in celebration of his 2nd movie, which I will not see, let's tell all the reasons we dislike the Merc with the Mouth, with extreme prejudice.   

I liked the first movie, but hadn't read any of the comics with him in it, so had no expectations.

I hated Ryan Reynolds in Blade 3.  Didn't watch the first Deadpool movie, won't be watching the second.

I've never owned a New Mutants 98, but I gleefully traded my first Cable some months ago for a Strange Tales 104, first appearance of Paste Pot Pete.  The whole Liefeld run was a lesson to my young self to buy what you like, and not pay top dollar chasing after the new hotness, so I'm not a fan.

Deadpool is the kind of character that definitely earns himself a “NON-appreciation” thread. That's why I Love him. Opinions are opinions. Not everyone has to like him like Batman or Spider-Man. I enjoy wacky gross expletive pop culture referential humor and Pool delivers. 

I had no interest in the character until I read the Joe Kelly run in the 90s, which had a decent sense of humour throughout.

Enjoyed both films, especially, as I said in the Deadpool 2 thread, Reynolds' excellent watered-down Jim Carrey impression.

Full of totally ridiculous scenes and a great contrast to Infinity War, so soon after watching that one.

2 hours ago, FineCollector said:

I hated Ryan Reynolds in Blade 3

I'm sure it didn't help that he was being directed by David Goyer, a comic book writer and screenwriter with no previous experience of directing.

Edited by Ken Aldred

4 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

As the title states.  I don't like the character.  Never did.  Never will.  I own no solo Deadpool comics.  If for some reason he makes an appearance in a title I do read, I usually roll my eyes and hand over my money to the LCS owner.   If I fell into a New Mutant 98 at a Garage Sale or in a dollar bin, I would sell it tomorrow. 

If Spider-Man and Punisher had child, raised by a Weapon X employee, I guess it would be Deadpool.  I caught parts of his first movie, found him to be even more obnoxious than I could imagine.   So in celebration of his 2nd movie, which I will not see, let's tell all the reasons we dislike the Merc with the Mouth, with extreme prejudice.   

Thank you Jesus-cant stand Deadfool and his hyuk 'jokes'.  It's hard to care about a character that doesnt care about anything.  That's screenwriting 101.  I know he's supposed to care about his girlfriend but it comes off as stiff and forced.  I know people go ga-ga when he breaks the 4th wall and says stuff like 'are you from the DC Universe?' but I see it as obvious and cheap.  HAW HAW HE TALKED ABOUT THE DC UNIVERSE AND HE'S A MARVEL CHARACTER AND ANYWAY HE'S NOT EVEN SUPPOSED TO KNOW HE'S A COMIC CHARACTER HYUK HOW CLEVER AND FUNNY AND STUFF!!
Nope.

Edited by kav

Saw the first film and enjoyed it although I have no desire to watch it again. I will see the new film. However i have tried many times to get into the character in the comics but i have never found the humour funny, more forced and obvious. Perhaps I am not the market for the character and that is fine. I'm glad there is a character that has people talking about comics though, although it always surprises me how many small children i see wearing a deadpool outfit, didn't think there was a version for kids (although could be wrong).

18 minutes ago, Groddfan said:

Saw the first film and enjoyed it although I have no desire to watch it again. I will see the new film. However i have tried many times to get into the character in the comics but i have never found the humour funny, more forced and obvious. Perhaps I am not the market for the character and that is fine. I'm glad there is a character that has people talking about comics though, although it always surprises me how many small children i see wearing a deadpool outfit, didn't think there was a version for kids (although could be wrong).

He's no Gorilla Grodd that's for sure.

32 minutes ago, Groddfan said:

Damn straight :) Can't go wrong with an evil gorilla.

Especially a telepathic and telekinetic one. 

They could put Agents of Atlas’ Ken Hale in the next film.

Edited by Ken Aldred

@Mercury Man Thank you! If he were original I could perhaps see how some like him, but he's not. He's Daffy Duck. 

Like others said, there's room for both opinions of course; he's far from the only lowbrow humor concept that's ever been popular in Human history. Heck, I like Daffy! I even liked the GOTG movie, but I did not like them in Infinity War, and I did not like a silly un-Thor-like Thor in there either. How does this all relate? I guess I'm saying it never works for me when the two approaches are blended because most writers cannot pull it off and the humor dominates. (Infinity war was like two movies spliced together. I enjoyed one of them.)

The one exception for me that I can think of is Grant Morrison's use of Plastic Man in the JLA. 

I'd love to see Morrison write Deadpool. He would probably become a reality-warping mutant who turned everything in his line of sight into a Looney Tunes-type reality. That I could live with.

If Steve Gerber (is he alive?) were to handle him  for an absurdist run featuring Howard the duck, man-thing, Foolkiller etc. that could be fun.

I did like finding a NM98 for 50 cents once and later trading it for an ASM 129. I put that book in a small stack and traded it for an Avengers 1 (and a spare 4). 

I was having a conversation with a good friend of mine just before the release of the first Deadpool movie.  I said that I hated Deadpool and couldn't stand him.  He said that "You don't hate Deadpool, you hate most Deadpool fans".  I guess I still don't fully understand what he meant, but it definitely made me think.  

I've tried the various comic runs, didn't care for any of them. In fact, the only Deadpool I enjoyed was as a part of Remender's tremendous Uncanny X-Force run, which is the best X-title since my youth, no contest. His take on Deadpool was the definitive one for me.

As for the movies, I've seen them both now, and I enjoyed them, though I doubt I'd need to see either of them again. They're essentially extremely violent, live action cartoons. I enjoy that sort of distraction from time to time. 

9 hours ago, kav said:

Thank you Jesus-cant stand Deadfool and his hyuk 'jokes'.  It's hard to care about a character that doesnt care about anything.  That's screenwriting 101.  I know he's supposed to care about his girlfriend but it comes off as stiff and forced.  I know people go ga-ga when he breaks the 4th wall and says stuff like 'are you from the DC Universe?' but I see it as obvious and cheap.  HAW HAW HE TALKED ABOUT THE DC UNIVERSE AND HE'S A MARVEL CHARACTER AND ANYWAY HE'S NOT EVEN SUPPOSED TO KNOW HE'S A COMIC CHARACTER HYUK HOW CLEVER AND FUNNY AND STUFF!!
Nope.

:eyeroll:

whats your favorite comedy movie?

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

In fact, the only Deadpool I enjoyed was as a part of Remender's tremendous Uncanny X-Force run, 

Great taste, and a high point. That was a good time for X-Force, along with the preceding Kyle / Jost / Crain run.

3 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Great taste, and a high point. That was a good time for X-Force, along with the preceding Kyle / Jost / Crain run.

Yes, absolutely! I enjoyed the Kyle/Jost/Crain run, and feel that Remender just really brought it all home with his series. It felt like he was doing something new with the X-Men while also digging deep into the mythos. It was the sort of run that rewarded new readers as well as long timers. Just a great run all around.

10 hours ago, kav said:

Nope.

So, what youre saying is you know nothing about the character, yet have such a strong opinion.