• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel's Giant Size Appreciation Thread
7 7

275 posts in this topic

On 5/20/2018 at 5:10 PM, jaybes said:

After many years of collecting, I finally own every Marvel Giant Size book! :banana:

9F13A341-77A0-4F9E-808E-9463C6DE22A4_zps

Background:

Although I didn't grow up in the 1970s when the GS books were hitting the stands, I had several well-read copies that I cherished above all of my other comics.  Why?  Because they were big!  I didn't care that some of the stories were reprints, I just liked reading a beefy thick comic book and my appreciation for the GS books continued into my adult years.  I've been slowly (very slowly) collecting every GS title over the years and it feels great to finally have them all (at least I think I do! :wishluck:).  Over 95% of this collection was purchased "the old fashioned way", at garage sales, comics shops, and from generous CGC Boardies.  Sure, you could easily jump on eBay and assemble all 68 issues, but what fun is that?!  I intentionally avoided eBay for this run (can you call it a run?!)  Rough guess, but this run has taken me +10 years to complete.  Many of them are low grades, but I prefer it that way...I decided to seek all of these books out because I want my sons to be able to read them and enjoy them just like I did as a kid (and yes I have floppy versions of the graded books). Cheers and happy collecting!

Fun Facts:

- My first Giant Size book as a kid: GS Kid Colt #1

- My last purchase to complete the set: GS Man Thing #4

- My favorite GS book: GS Chillers #2

- Hardest GS book for me to find "organically": GS Kid Colt #3

- Most $ spent on a GS book: GS Spiderman #4 :D (I got my original copy of GSXM1 at a garage sale, had it graded, traded down years later for the 5.0 I currently have!)

- I've read every single one!

Let's celebrate these quintessential Bronze Marvel books by posting your favorite GS books in the thread!  Thanks for reading.

FF8FEC26-FD46-428C-B5CE-4DB8CB3355F5_zps

7155F327-8F7F-48B4-AE50-15EC5747EB3C_zps

D16DE9A1-FDD9-4BE6-88F4-CBEEADC7CAEA_zps

Also, in case anyone is interested here’s the list of all the GS books:

DD 1
Conan 1,2,3,4,5
Master of Kung Fu 1,2,3,4
FF 2,3,4,5,6
Man Thing 1,2,3,4,5
Dracula 2,3,4,5
Defenders 1,2,3,4,5
Cap 1
Cap Marvel 1
Doc Savage 1
Superstars 1
Thor 1
Iron man 1
Hulk 1
Invaders 1
Power Man 1
Dr Strange 1
Chillers 1,2,3
Chillers 1 (Dracula)
Marvel Triple Action 1,2
Avengers 1,2,3,4,5
Super Villain Team Up 1,2
Spider-Man 1,2,3,4,5,6
Kid Colt 1,2,3
Creatures 1
Werewolf 2,3,4,5    
Xmen 1,2

Why is GS Chillers #2 your favorite. 

Congrats! This is beyond cool!!!  There is something about GS Marvels although I don’t believe I ever saw one on the spinner racks when I was a kid. Wonder why. Lower distribution? 

2 hours ago, NoMan said:

Why is GS Chillers #2 your favorite. 

Congrats! This is beyond cool!!!  There is something about GS Marvels although I don’t believe I ever saw one on the spinner racks when I was a kid. Wonder why. Lower distribution? 

I’m not sure why it’s my favorite, always loved the cover and the creepy stories. Probably because it’s the one I read the most. (thumbsu

9 hours ago, Pontoon said:

I made a few scans to join the fun. Top edge looks much better in person.

GSCA1.jpg

Read my original copy to pieces! The Giant Size line was big for me as a kid.

My single favorite comic book ever is FF annual 6, but I never owned one as a kid. I discovered it in Giant Size FF 6. I read that book so often that I destroyed my original copy and needed to trade to get another. Read THAT one so much that I had to swipe my friend’s to get a third!

Edited by KirbyJack