• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much can a 1/2 " tear affect the grade?

10 posts in this topic

I just bought an Incredible Hulk #4, and it has a 1/2" tear on the rear cover. It looks like an 8.5 to 9.0 otherwise. Would it drop down significantly, like to a 7.0 or below, or become qualified? thanks!

Depends on where it's at.  Years ago I had a slabbed FF #10 with a 1-inch tear along the spine.  Encapsulated it was invisible to the eye.  Book went from what would have been an NM 9.2 down to a CGC 5.5.  It was beautiful.

A 1/2 nonobtrusive tear I'd have to think you looking at least full grade drop.

Edited by HENRYSPENCER

8 hours ago, zookland5 said:

I just bought an Incredible Hulk #4, and it has a 1/2" tear on the rear cover. It looks like an 8.5 to 9.0 otherwise. Would it drop down significantly, like to a 7.0 or below, or become qualified? thanks!

I don't think they give a qualified grade for a tear. I suspect your guestimate is in the ballpark and an otherwise 8.5/9.0 will go down to 7.0 . Tears are tricky because they can get worse, especially from handling. 

I'm not so certain that a 1/2" tear would necessitate a drop from 8.5-9.0 to 7.0 though. I could see a 8.5 to 7.5 drop though. 1" is a completely different story but with 1/2" I just think that 3-4 grades would be a tad extreme.

Your instincts seem to be about right. I have a WDC&S that I would grade at 8.5 if not for a 1cm tear on the back cover top edge. It came out of a 6.5 slab.

1 hour ago, Kramerica said:

I'm not so certain that a 1/2" tear would necessitate a drop from 8.5-9.0 to 7.0 though. I could see a 8.5 to 7.5 drop though. 1" is a completely different story but with 1/2" I just think that 3-4 grades would be a tad extreme.

You are probably right. We would really need to see a pic to be more analytic. I once submitted a book with a tiny tear that came with a half inch tear. I was expecting a 7.5/8.0 and got a 6.5, which backs up your statement. 

I've got a raw FF 12 with a 1/2" edge tear that also has a light crease where it was once folded up..... the crease is very light. The book was in a CGC 8.0 slab when I bought it..... I thought it looked like a slam dunk 8.5 pushing 9.0.... turns out the tear, which couldn't be seen through the slab, brought the grade down. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

hWpRi35.jpg

DXmMu1A.jpg

wHpXaZd.jpg

K3rv8DF.jpg

Edited by jimjum12