• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOWGLI: The Darker Jungle Book (10/19/18)

11 posts in this topic

why would anyone want to watch this vs the AWESOME Disney Jungle Book like 2 years ago?  Why even make the movie?  C'mon WB.  You're begging to be directly compared to an widely, objectively well-regarded, profitable movie from your biggest competitor.  And you will lose that comparison.  What are you guys doing?  Just make a Green Lantern Corps Lego movie or something.

Does WB just think we want them to make Disney movies, but 'darker'?  The only 'dark' we want out the WB is 'Justice League Dark'. 

How do they not see that?  I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

7 minutes ago, revat said:

How do they not see that?  I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

It really is odd at times when studios do this at the same time. Even when there was the Hercules movie and then we had another Hercules movie. Or even in-the-works there is a 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea while another studio is working on Captain Nemo.

Ugh!

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

It really is odd at times when studios do this at the same time. Even when there was the Hercules movie and then we had another Hercules movie. Or even in-the-works there is a 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea while another studio is working on Captain Nemo.

Ugh!

or Armageddon and Deep Impact.  On the one hand, I kinda get it if they're greenlit around the same time, and you have to kind of hope you make the better movie.  And all the money is together and you can't really stop the production.  But Disney's Jungle book was a while ago, and they obviously filmed it way before it came out.  So WB has known through the WHOLE process they would one day be compared to Disney's Jungle Book (which was already a super popular cartoon!), which everyone thinks of as a children's story. 

They could have not made the movie at all and not lost any funding or wasted any time or effort.  The -script is timeless, they could have just used it in 10 years.  But they're not gonna get kids, there's not going to be any adults that want to watch ANOTHER Jungle Book again so soon.  The ONLY reason I can think to make this movie is that WB might somehow think it will BLOCK Disney from making a sequel, that it will somehow burnout the Jungle book audience.  But that can't possibly be worth the money, and will probably just leave WB looking more embarrassed.

The original Kipling chapters.

Mowgli's Brothers

A boy is raised by wolves in the Indian jungle with the help of Baloo the bear and Bagheera the black panther, who teach him the "Law of the Jungle". Some years later, the wolfpack and Mowgli are threatened by the tiger Shere Khan. Mowgli brings fire, driving off Shere Khan but showing that he is a man and must leave the jungle.

Kaa's Hunting

During the time Mowgli was with the wolf pack, he is abducted by the Bandar-log monkeys to the ruined city. Baloo and Bagheera set out to rescue him with Kaa the python. Kaa defeats the Bandar-log, frees Mowgli, and hypnotises the monkeys and the other animals with his dance. Mowgli rescues Baloo and Bagheera from the spell.

Tiger! Tiger!

Mowgli returns to the human village and is adopted by Messua and her husband, who believe him to be their long-lost son. Mowgli leads the village boys who herd the village's buffaloes. Shere Khan comes to hunt Mowgli, but he is warned by Gray Brother wolf, and with Akela they find Shere Khan asleep, and stampede the buffaloes to trample Shere Khan to death.

The White Seal

Kotick, a rare white-furred seal, sees seals being killed by islanders in the Bering Sea. He decides to find a safe home for his people, and after long searching finds a suitable place. He comes home and persuades the other seals to follow him.

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi

An English family have just moved to a house in India. They find Rikki-Tikki-Tavi the mongoose flooded out of his burrow. A pair of large cobras, Nag and Nagaina, attempt unsuccessfully to kill him. He hears the cobras plotting to kill the father in the house, and attacks Nag in the bathroom. The sound of the fight attracts the father, who shoots Nag. Rikki-Tikki-Tavi destroys Nagaina's eggs and chases her into her "rat-hole" where he kills her too.

Toomai of the Elephants

Toomai's father rides Kala Nag the elephant to catch wild elephants in the hills. Toomai comes to help and risks his life throwing a role up to one of the drivers. His father forbids him to enter the elephant enclosure again. One night he follows the elephant hunters, and is picked up by Kala Nag; he rides into the elephants' meeting place in the jungle, where they dance. On his return he is welcomed by both hunters and elephants.

Her Majesty's Servants

On the night before a British military parade for the Amir of Afghanistan, the army's working animals—mule, camel, horse, bullock, elephant—discuss what they do in battle and how they feel about their work. It is explained to the Afghans that men and animals obey the orders carried down from the Queen.

16 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Perhaps they wanted to be faithful to Kiplings original.

You'd think they'd be more considerate of Benjamin Franklin than Rudyard Kipling.  And like I mentioned above, they could be faithful to Rudyard Kipling 10 years from now too.  Which isn't to say that it won't be a good movie, but who is green lighting this stuff?

Ah I just read about it.  this movie was supposed to be released last year, but that was obviously too close to the Disney one in 2016.  So its already been delayed a long time. Well.... good luck.