• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a 9.8 Y The Last Man #1

13 posts in this topic

I purchased a 9.8 Y: The last man #1 on ebay and of course it was not cheap, I just received it and one of the corners REALLY stood out to me as something I wouldn't have expected to see on a 9.8.I am very new to collecting and only have about 6 graded books so far so I wanted to reach out to the community first before I confront the seller. Thanks in advance for you opinions on whether or not this is acceptable for a 9.8. 

IMG_4916.thumb.JPG.9bd6f1303672bdb4857743d121404781.JPG

What does the upper left corner say?  Seriously - some books have printing defects that don't get downgraded since almost the entire run have the same defect. 

3 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

What does the upper left corner say?  Seriously - some books have printing defects that don't get downgraded since almost the entire run have the same defect. 

I wasn't sure if you meant front or back so I posted a pic of both :)

IMG_4918.thumb.JPG.7ba30f96a20ada0e2c2e2f474025349b.JPG

IMG_4919.thumb.JPG.160f77c744bf838bbe7161b63bf3f3e4.JPG

As long as the case is unbroken then it was always be considered a CGC 9.8 since that is what the case says.  Bindery tears turn some people off but usually CGC doesn't downgrade from the corner splitting I think your are seeing on the corner.  Its a new case so it's probably as tightly graded as you will find (in my opinion).

3 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

As long as the case is unbroken then it was always be considered a CGC 9.8 since that is what the case says.  Bindery tears turn some people off but usually CGC doesn't downgrade from the corner splitting I think your are seeing on the corner.  Its a new case so it's probably as tightly graded as you will find (in my opinion).

Ok thank you very much for the information, that makes me feel better about my purchase :)

2 hours ago, Skinnyzaz said:

Ok thank you very much for the information, that makes me feel better about my purchase :)

That book does not look secure in the inner well. It appears to me the book is tilted. Looking at the front cover, the upper left corner is up against the top edge, while the right corner  is angled with plenty of room to the top edge. It may have become damaged from the book moving in the inner well. Personally, I would not be happy with that book as a 9.8. I don't think a bindery chip like that is common on this book, at least my raw copy does not have it. 

7 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

That book does not look secure in the inner well. It appears to me the book is tilted. Looking at the front cover, the upper left corner is up against the top edge, while the right corner  is angled with plenty of room to the top edge. It may have become damaged from the book moving in the inner well. Personally, I would not be happy with that book as a 9.8. I don't think a bindery chip like that is common on this book, at least my raw copy does not have it. 

hmmm now I am worried, you are correct the book is tilted. Now I am debating if I should try and return it. As you know this is an expensive book and I really need to make sure its at 9.8 grade.

10 hours ago, 1Cool said:

As long as the case is unbroken then it was always be considered a CGC 9.8 since that is what the case says.  

People know that SCS is a thing. CGC cases are imperfect and do not even protect against rough shipping. There are plenty of cases where a 9.8 was damaged while still inside an unbroken case and are obviously no longer 9.8's. It's unreasonable to imply that the grade is whatever the label says it is because we all know that's not true. In this specific case, I am not familiar with the book in question, so I can't weigh in on whether or not this is a common issue with the print run, but there's far more nuance here than you're letting on.

Edited by SilverSniper

Looking at the e-bay sale pictures it looks like the book didn't get damaged in the mail and may have just been misaligned when slabbed (not sure of course).  It's impossible to know for sure if the book was shaken or if the upper corner was considered a bindary defect.  But regardless - a book in an unbroken case is considered that grade (or at least graded by CGC to be that grade) until its broken out of the case.  The OP asked if its a 9.8 and the correct answer is yes it's a CGC 9.8.

14 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Looking at the e-bay sale pictures it looks like the book didn't get damaged in the mail and may have just been misaligned when slabbed (not sure of course).  It's impossible to know for sure if the book was shaken or if the upper corner was considered a bindary defect.  But regardless - a book in an unbroken case is considered that grade (or at least graded by CGC to be that grade) until its broken out of the case.  The OP asked if its a 9.8 and the correct answer is yes it's a CGC 9.8.

Is there any way to know for sure if the slab has been opened?

17 minutes ago, Skinnyzaz said:

Is there any way to know for sure if the slab has been opened?

With the new slab design it is nearly impossible to open up without cracking the slab. I'm sure the book was not tampered with. I concur that the book is a 9.8 as long as the label says it is a 9.8. However, it is your book and I suspect this flaw will bother you. I know I would not be happy with it. 

I want to thank everyone for the comments/help, the flaw does bother me but I have come to the conclusion its a 9.8 grade and I will try not to let it bother me and just be happy I have the book :)