• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to tell if this is actually signed by Rob Liefeld?

12 posts in this topic

Liefeld's signature had just about zero value for most of the 90s and all of the 00s, so it's unlikely someone would forge his signature AND produce a very specific COA to go with it.

And, it looks just fine.

By the way...interesting verbiage about "witnessed" on the COA.

9 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Liefeld's signature had just about zero value for most of the 90s and all of the 00s, so it's unlikely someone would forge his signature AND produce a very specific COA to go with it.

And, it looks just fine.

Yep.

I never understood the purpose of COA.  If somebody is going to go through the work of forging a signature I would assume they would just take the next step and forge a COA along with it.  Whoever came up with the idea for the CGC Signature Series is a marketing genius.

1 hour ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Yep.

I never understood the purpose of COA.  If somebody is going to go through the work of forging a signature I would assume they would just take the next step and forge a COA along with it.  Whoever came up with the idea for the CGC Signature Series is a marketing genius.

One could check with the store in question (if they're still around) to determine if they issued COAs. It might be a little more difficult to forge a sig *and* counterfeit a COA.

20 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
22 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Yep.

One could check with the store in question (if they're still around) to determine if they issued COAs. It might be a little more difficult to forge a sig *and* counterfeit a COA.

That's why that radiation symbol stamp is the "important part"... the COA is just basic stock certificate paper and the "Authorized Signature" is "anyone who signs anything on this line", but the stamp is at least a small reason not to counterfeit the COA.  Let's face it, when it comes to trying to make an extra dollar (because that's all Liefeld's signature was worth), even crooks are lazy... as if their time spent in nefarious activities still needs to have a legit hourly payout. :grin:

5 hours ago, valiantman said:

That's why that radiation symbol stamp is the "important part"... the COA is just basic stock certificate paper and the "Authorized Signature" is "anyone who signs anything on this line", but the stamp is at least a small reason not to counterfeit the COA.  Let's face it, when it comes to trying to make an extra dollar (because that's all Liefeld's signature was worth), even crooks are lazy... as if their time spent in nefarious activities still needs to have a legit hourly payout. :grin:

True, but you can also find a wide variety of designs for COAs. The blanks that an older COA were created from might be less readily available. This assumes of course you can verify from the shop what a legit COA looks like.

If you want to figure it out for yourself, go join the FBI and specialize in handwriting analysis and learn the skills yourself.  Because how can you trust anyone but yourself?

obviously I’m exaggerating a little, you don’t have to join the fbi.  You could probably join Interpol too.

On 5/22/2018 at 12:28 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

And, it looks just fine.

This. (times a zillion.):sumo:

19 hours ago, donchile100 said:

i have a NM 87 signed by Liefield baaackk in the day he was at a Mall in San Francisco......i talked to him for a bit.  Nice guy.   But no COA.   So i guess thats why i have to slab it and get it "certified" for yellow?

CGC won't certify that. You'd get a qualified label and it would say "name written in marker on cover." Only Voldy certifies signatures that aren't witnessed. 

On 8/10/2020 at 11:51 AM, donchile100 said:

i have a NM 87 signed by Liefield baaackk in the day he was at a Mall in San Francisco......i talked to him for a bit.  Nice guy.   But no COA.   So i guess thats why i have to slab it and get it "certified" for yellow?

Should we turn this into the "Uncertified Signed New Mutants #87" club?  I'm pretty sure I know which box my copy is.  (:  I got it at a joint signing by Liefeld & McFarlane around the time of the Spider-Man/X-Force crossover they did.  Not sure what book I had McFarlane sign, possibly Infinity Inc. 30.  (I had already had that issue signed by Roy Thomas.)