• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any body ever go to "The Dump"? Find anything?
2 2

84 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, kav said:

I picked up some old glasses off the ground at the dump and put them in my pocket.  Later I started walking around wearing the glasses and told my neighbor lady that yeah I had to start wearing glasses now.  She told my parents and then began a long punishing grilling period of where I got the glasses.  They were sure there was some old man out there without his glasses.  I kept saying I found them out in the field.  It culminated in my dad putting all my comic books in the bath tub.  He didnt realize that merely destroying one comic book would have been more punishment than I could handle.

Did you get even with the old lady? Old lady down the street would rat out kids in the neighbor hood to their parents. We got even though... Save up dog poop in large shopping bags and spread it out on her walkway and porch. Throw Velveeda cheese in the bushes for the rats, throw lots of bird seed on her roof, Salt the lawn, A can of Draino over the fence and into the pool was fun too. She never knew who did it because she could never catch us and she ratted out every kid in the neighborhood. 

I kept my comics and anything "objectionable" to my parents in a big tight wooden box in the tree house. No way, would they climb up there. 

2 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Did you get even with the old lady? Old lady down the street would rat out kids in the neighbor hood to their parents. We got even though... Save up dog poop in large shopping bags and spread it out on her walkway and porch. Throw Velveeda cheese in the bushes for the rats, throw lots of bird seed on her roof, Salt the lawn, A can of Draino over the fence and into the pool was fun too. She never knew who did it because she could never catch us and she ratted out every kid in the neighborhood. 

I kept my comics and anything "objectionable" to my parents in a big tight wooden box in the tree house. No way, would they climb up there. 

Wow, I thought you said your name was Bob not Dennis!

34 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I have no memories regarding the incident after the comics hit the water.  My mind blanked out everything.  I do not recall if I said where I got the glasses or what happened to them or anything.

53 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

A can of Draino over the fence and into the pool was fun too...

Funny you should mention "Drano".  Those same guys I knew who rode their bikes to the dump were also notorious hell-raisers in our neighborhood, and were frequently chased by the local cops for all sorts of mischief, which occasionally went too far (not terribly uncommon back then for guys in junior high).

One of their favorite bits was to make "Drano bombs" from, er...common household items. 

One of them would mix the thing up in a vacant lot or in the woods behind the houses while the rest of us watched from a safe distance. When we saw that guy run like hell, we all ran, too...then BOOM!!!!  Nearly as loud as an M80...and a helluva lot more dangerous, too, given the glass shrapnel.

Thing is, and this is important..it was never intended to hurt anyone, nor to destroy anything other than the bottle.  And it never did.  What they enjoyed--and the rest of us, too, I guess--was the simple pleasure of getting away with it.

Ah, so many boring old stories.  I'm sure you guys have a million of 'em, too, especially if you grew up in an era when parents, in general, let kids be kids, even if it meant getting intro trouble sometimes.  Frankly, it's a wonder that any of us survived.

Here's one more: a goofy kid from the other side of town named Bruce who hung out with us sometimes, and whose hair made the shape of an "M" on his forehead, got too close to a makeshift "flash pot" (a crushed up Estes rocket engine) to see why it didn't go off.  :idea:

Yep, you guessed it...goodbye eyebrows!

Ah, those were the days...

Edited by jools&jim

People worried about microaggressions heads would explode if they put on a helmet that relived what it was like for kids out in the boonies when I grew up.

Found an abandoned dump site in a heavy forested area (don't mention about mosquito attacks) and managed to find some old cone top beer cans - some are readable.  Had four of them for years - forgotten until I cleaned out the garage and rediscovered them. Decided to contact few beer can collectors.  One came to my house after five hours of driving and bought them for $60 each. Not bad finding.

He told me if the cans were in excellent condition and he would pay $1200 each!

Edited by JollyComics

My little brother used to buy broken reel to reel tape recorders for a quarter at the dump then take them home and fix them.  He was always into electronics self taught and would do stuff like convert a stereo speaker into a receiver then tape far away neighbor's conversations.  He was is the USAF Space Command as a satellite something.  Then he worked for a private firm, got laid off after 20 years and got a high stress job designing circuit boards that caused him to develop an ulcer and he was vomiting blood.  He finally quit that job and said he was completely sick of electronics and was working in a grocery store when he burst his aorta at home and passed away.  The last conversation he had was with me on facebook about guardians of the galaxy movie and comic books.

Edited by kav

6 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

As Far As "dumpster diving"

ALSO when I was a teenager....

Marlboro Cigs used to have this thing on the sides of the pack called "Marlboro Miles"...You could trade in these said "miles" for Marlboro swag.... made great Christmas gifts. T-shirts, lighters, ashtrays, iron on patches. Made going to high-school a kick...... Ah if we could do things over.....:taptaptap: 

Like Camel Cash. Oh yes, the good old days when cartoons were used for cigarette advertising

4 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I used to take my main squeeze to the dump on Friday nights to shoot skunks. 

You don't want to be looking around for salvageable stuff after a couple those are popped.

Haha, I remember a former boss of mine telling a story about when she was younger and recently married.  Her newlywed husband was a member of the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) and he had been stationed to a small rural community.   On his days off he would take her to the local dump and she would shoot the rats crawling around in the garbage piles so she could practice her shooting skills!

This thread is just so much great!

My brother and I found large discarded Styrofoam barrels and lugged them back home over a few trip on foot and proceeded to build ourselves a raft for a small pond behind our house.  Tom Sawyer style!  We were not allowed to swim in the pond because of the large amount of snapping turtles in it but figured "Dad never said we couldn't build our own raft and take that out on the pond."  We got in the middle and quickly learned we were not the raft builders we had imagined ourselves to be.  Ropes got wet and stretched and raft slowly fell apart.  We sat on the raft, now afraid of the turtles, until that was no longer an option and then swam like jaws was chasing us.  Told our dad and he laughed so hard at us we didn't even get punished.  

This thread is just awesome.  Most fun I have had today.      

I look for old dumps while i'm working in the woods.  I always have high hopes of finding something valuable that I could sell, and buy a nice comic.

19 minutes ago, ender said:

This thread is just so much great!

My brother and I found large discarded Styrofoam barrels and lugged them back home over a few trip on foot and proceeded to build ourselves a raft for a small pond behind our house.  Tom Sawyer style!  We were not allowed to swim in the pond because of the large amount of snapping turtles in it but figured "Dad never said we couldn't build our own raft and take that out on the pond."  We got in the middle and quickly learned we were not the raft builders we had imagined ourselves to be.  Ropes got wet and stretched and raft slowly fell apart.  We sat on the raft, now afraid of the turtles, until that was no longer an option and then swam like jaws was chasing us.  Told our dad and he laughed so hard at us we didn't even get punished.  

This thread is just awesome.  Most fun I have had today.      

We would build a raft out of a pallet and nail plywood to the surfaces then build railing with 2 by fours and off we went!  We also built a 3 story fort once which my brother installed switches and lights and fans and stuff with large battery.

Edited by kav

39 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

He stole my heart. :luhv:

How To Pick Up Chicks page 18:

"You're the kind of girl I'd like to shoot rats with"
That line gets em every time.

13 minutes ago, kav said:

How To Pick Up Chicks page 18:

"You're the kind of girl I'd like to shoot rats with"
That line gets em every time.

:x I love me some rat shootin'.

Edited by oakman29

13 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

:x I love me some rat shootin'.

We have a family rat shoot in the desert every year.  They're actually Belding's Ground Squirrels. that infest the farmer/rancher's alfalfa pivots.

The shooting was tremendous this year, with many burning up a 1000 rounds of .17, .22 or .22 mag per day.  It's not always that good of shooting, but it was this year!

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

We have a family rat shoot in the desert every year.  They're actually Belding's Ground Squirrels. that infest the farmer/rancher's alfalfa pivots.

The shooting was tremendous this year, with many burning up a 1000 rounds of .17, .22 or .22 mag per day.  It's not always that good of shooting, but it was this year!

Yep shootin them varmints is PIVOTAL.