• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any body ever go to "The Dump"? Find anything?
2 2

84 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, kav said:
7 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

We have a family rat shoot in the desert every year.  They're actually Belding's Ground Squirrels. that infest the farmer/rancher's alfalfa pivots.

The shooting was tremendous this year, with many burning up a 1000 rounds of .17, .22 or .22 mag per day.  It's not always that good of shooting, but it was this year!

Yep shootin them varmints is PIVOTAL.

Malthus was right.

14 hours ago, comicdonna said:

I look for old dumps while i'm working in the woods.  I always have high hopes of finding something valuable that I could sell, and buy a nice comic.

That sounds cool. I'd love to be out in the woods but I was raised a city kid. The best we could find were old abanded houses and buildings. Never got much and some were a little creepy. But a lot of fun when we were riding around on our Sting Ray bikes as 10 year old kids.

19 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Reminds me of a friend that lives on the east coast. He used to dig old outhouses looking for bottles and such. He would find old coins that slipped out of people's pockets once in a while too. He would often find very rare old bottles. Not many outhouses on the west coast...

My grandma used to take us cousins around looking for old bottles. We found tons. She discovered a  bunch of really old dumps, like from the late 19th century, that were basically just out in the woods by the time we came along and we'd go through there like proper archaeologists.  Good times.

7 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

OK, cool dumpster diving story. Years ago was visiting a friend in Portland OR. We were driving down a street in an old part of town. Spied a large dumpster with the door down that was full of old junk. We pulled over, saw nobody around and walked into it. Among other things there were stacks of old magazines all mixed up from the 1930's to 1950's. Sorting through them we started pulling out the occasional stray GA comic. Started making a pile. All of a sudden we heard "Get outta my dumpster!" Looked over the side and an old guy was standing on the porch with a shotgun. I grabbed a small stack, stuffed them in the back of my pants and untucked my shirt. We slowly came out and asked the guy if he didn't want the stuff could we have it? He was none too happy and told us to leave. We even offered to pay him for what we wanted saying it might cover the cost of the dumpster. He would have none of it so we left and drove off.

Then we had an idea... We drove back and pulled up next to it and got the dumpster's name and phone number and the number on the dumpster. Gave them a call and asked if they would call us when they brought it in to dump it and said we would pay to go through it.

A couple of days later we got the call that it was at the dump and we could stop by. Imagine our horror when they opened it. The old guy had thrown old sticker bushes, rotton cans of food and watered it down over the stuff. No to be deterred, we climbed in and started pulling off the trash until we got down about 4 feet. The contents at the bottom were in pretty good shape with almost no water damage. Managed to pull out about 300 GA comics, pulps and magazines out of there as well as a few old things like early oil cans and antiques.. The dumpster folks were so happy they didn't have to unload it, they just told us to keep the stuff no charge. Never mid getting dirty a little for a good score!

Should have called police and had him arrested for brandishing, assault with a deadly weapon.  Then while he's in jail, go thru the stuff.  You are not allowed to just come out and point a shotgun at people even if they are on your property, which I imagine the dumpster wasn't.

I just sort of wish the first and second word of the Thread Title could maybe be compressed. False advertising.:sumo:

Yes, especially in NJ and NY. But then they started putting them on barges and dumping them in the Ocean. That is where "...sleeps with the fishes..." comes from.

Now TX., I am not sure what they do. I am not even sure there is an actual Dump in TX. 

1 hour ago, bc said:

Lived in the country, lots of junk piles in the woods. Found cobalt (blue) glassware and all kinds of old bottles and cans. Most were used for target practice.

The only thing I've kept is a metal gyroscope and stand (that still works)

image.png.582beb71b26375e6cc887e4ebcd7dbe1.png

-bc

That’s a really cool find. I also found quite a bit of glassware in the woods behind my house when I was a kid. Which were all scattered around what appeared to be the remnants of an old wagon of some sort. Here are the ones I kept, the partially broken ones also wound up being used for target practice. 

25801F7E-EAB1-4040-8B4C-F1DE791B37D2.thumb.jpeg.4761b01bd59c796ca0aa5e63a513458e.jpeg03E24205-60D4-4291-A394-AACAA5CDD2AF.thumb.jpeg.cfe807223220e0b4c38d847abae42079.jpeg

My dad was replacing a bathtub in an old house and found a bunch of old coins and an old whisky bottle with bubbles in the glass.  He put all the coins in a jar and was going to get them valuated but my older brother took them all and spent them at the store in an act of teenage rebellion.

18 hours ago, lizards2 said:

We have a family rat shoot in the desert every year.  They're actually Belding's Ground Squirrels. that infest the farmer/rancher's alfalfa pivots.

The shooting was tremendous this year, with many burning up a 1000 rounds of .17, .22 or .22 mag per day.  It's not always that good of shooting, but it was this year!

there are some good rat shooting videos on Youtube....

5 hours ago, IntoAnother said:

That’s a really cool find. I also found quite a bit of glassware in the woods behind my house when I was a kid. Which were all scattered around what appeared to be the remnants of an old wagon of some sort. Here are the ones I kept, the partially broken ones also wound up being used for target practice. 

25801F7E-EAB1-4040-8B4C-F1DE791B37D2.thumb.jpeg.4761b01bd59c796ca0aa5e63a513458e.jpeg03E24205-60D4-4291-A394-AACAA5CDD2AF.thumb.jpeg.cfe807223220e0b4c38d847abae42079.jpeg

Nice bottles! The poison one is awesome. Those are very collectible. Especially with the large skull & crossbones on it.

5 hours ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

Yes, especially in NJ and NY. But then they started putting them on barges and dumping them in the Ocean. That is where "...sleeps with the fishes..." comes from.

Now TX., I am not sure what they do. I am not even sure there is an actual Dump in TX. 

Same here. They built tract houses on the ones we used to go to. I believe they are called “landfills” now and probably closed to the public...

Decades ago, I worked in a high end luxury apartment complex.    During the day, I was the suit and tie worker bee.    At night, I was a ninja dumpster diver (living onsite had its privileges).     Tons of free stuff like clothes, art work, furniture, a galore of mens magazines and VHS tapes.   I scored about four moments of rich comics from the 70's and 80's along with tons of sports cards.  Yes, this was before the eBay and internet.   Cash them out at the small local cons when my college buddy I ran had our small comic book business from our apartment.   Kept all the X-Men and SpiderMan key issues.    I have to admit, I missed dumpster diving.     Divorce moves were the best.   You can find all kinds of expensive stuff.

7 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Same here. They built tract houses on the ones we used to go to. I believe they are called “landfills” now and probably closed to the public...

All the small towns (and even pretty good sized ones) in Texas still have a dump.  They may restrict access to it but they are there.  We used to have impromptu stock care races on the dirt roads around our dump in the little town in TX that I grew up in.

5 hours ago, IntoAnother said:

10 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Nice bottles! The poison one is awesome. Those are very collectible. Especially with the large skull & crossbones on it.

I see a lot of bottles like these.  I guess I should pick them up.  

22 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Thank you, that one is definitely my favorite of the bunch but I’ve also always been partial to cobalt blue glass. I certainly wouldn’t part with them as they bring me some pretty great memories whenever I look at them.