• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any body ever go to "The Dump"? Find anything?
2 2

84 posts in this topic

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:35 PM, Crimebuster said:

I was told that Ted at Superworld began his back issue business after finding a trunk full of Golden Age comics at the dump.

Don't know any details though!

I think it was Ted's friend , Rich  Mossow who found a collection.

Edited by PUNYHUMAN

Just reading the thread again, I missed Crimebuster's post the first time around-

On 5/23/2018 at 9:35 PM, Crimebuster said:

I was told that Ted at Superworld began his back issue business after finding a trunk full of Golden Age comics at the dump.

On 6/11/2018 at 9:05 AM, PUNYHUMAN said:
On 5/23/2018 at 9:35 PM, Crimebuster said:

I think it was Ted's friend , Rich  Mossow who found a collection.

The "Friend of mine" mentioned in my post is Richard Mossow ("Rondo") who found the collection at the dump 15 years before he met Ted and helped start Superworld.  It's his ad I have a picture of below!

Friend of mine pulled into a dump in the early 70s and spotted boxes of comics that turned out to contain a nice Golden Age collection including Detective 1-35, Action 1-(not sure), Flash Comics 1-(maybe) 40, Fiction House, Fox and many more.  The splash page of some of the books had the name "Buck Jones" either written or stamped.  He had recently shown me the ad for the Detective #27 from the collection he posted for sale back in the 80s, he eventually sold it to That's Entertainment comic store owner Paul Howley. 

Here is the ad, probably ran in CBG

IMG_4992.JPG.738a9591ebc5af67858070a93728a647.JPG

On ‎2018‎/‎05‎/‎22 at 11:34 AM, Robot Man said:

Back when I was a kid, my dad would make semi regular trips to "the dump" to get rid of junk. My little brother and I would always happily accompany him on his trips. It was a magical place for a kid. We would always, dig around and explore. Sometimes we would find stuff. My dad would usually tell us to put it back but sometimes he would let us take home a score or two. 

Memorable finds... A few old working lawn mower motors that we would turn into home made mini bikes or go carts. My friend's dad was a welder so he would make us frames and we would scrounge parts. Found a couple of very old and pretty un broken stained glass windows that we put into our tree house. Also some old metal advertising signs that also went into the tree house. *wish I grabbed more of them now)... Once I got 3 1920's Buddy L pressed steel large toy trucks. Comics? Yeah, once in a while a small box of oldies. And plenty of "men's magazines" which we would sneak into the back seat untill we could get them into the fort or tree house.

About 20 years ago I got a call from a friend who worked at a dump in NO CA. He said he found a couple hundred old comics and pulled them aside for me. I made the drive up a few weeks later and was rewarded with about 200 1946-1955 atomic age comics. Many had light water damage and or rusted staples but nice otherwise. Was told they came out of an old house in San Francisco. My heart sank though when he took me out to the "chipper". In front of it was a large pile of shredded, colorful paper. Probably a bunch of the comics before he rescued the others. The two I remember the most were a Phantom Lady #17 and A Startling #49. Great load!

Anybody else got any "dump" stories???

My favorite part of your story is that you thought you snuck the mens magazines into the car home then into your tree house. Your Dad knew you had those, he just let you take them. :wink:

Edited by Artboy99