• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any body ever go to "The Dump"? Find anything?
2 2

84 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Crimebuster said:

I was told that Ted at Superworld began his back issue business after finding a trunk full of Golden Age comics at the dump.

Don't know any details though!

I heard that too. Somebody should ask him. 

Friend of mine pulled into a dump in the early 70s and spotted boxes of comics that turned out to contain a nice Golden Age collection including Detective 1-35, Action 1-(not sure), Flash Comics 1-(maybe) 40, Fiction House, Fox and many more.  The splash page of some of the books had the name "Buck Jones" either written or stamped.  He had recently shown me the ad for the Detective #27 from the collection he posted for sale back in the 80s, he eventually sold it to That's Entertainment comic store owner Paul Howley. 

Here is the ad, probably ran in CBG

IMG_4992.JPG.738a9591ebc5af67858070a93728a647.JPG

10 minutes ago, GACollectibles said:

Friend of mine pulled into a dump in the early 70s and spotted boxes of comics that turned out to contain a nice Golden Age collection including Detective 1-35, Action 1-(not sure), Flash Comics 1-(maybe) 40, Fiction House, Fox and many more. 

:ohnoez: Gonna be hard to top that one!

It wasn't an official dump, but across the street from where I lived as a kid was woods and a swampy area and people would dump stuff back there all the time. There was an old rusted out VW Beetle in there, lots of old tires, couches, all kinds of rusty metal stuff, old bottles, once someone dumped hundreds of bricks in there and we used them and all the scrap wood and metal stuff to build a fort. But one time someone dumped garbage bags full of magazines in there and one was full of 60s and 70s playboys, that was the first time I ever saw a naked lady lol

49 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Reminds me of the legendary Bang Zoom collection. Bundles of comics tied up with string found next to a trash can on the street. Could you imagine walking the dog that day???

I've found a few neat things while walking the dog. No comics, but just this week I found a nice bivalve fossil sticking out of the ground.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Reminds me of the legendary Bang Zoom collection. Bundles of comics tied up with string found next to a trash can on the street. Could you imagine walking the dog that day???

Are there any photos of these stacks in existence for us to slobber over?

1 hour ago, AJD said:

I've found a few neat things while walking the dog. No comics, but just this week I found a nice bivalve fossil sticking out of the ground.

A few months ago on trash day while walking the dog, I found a large 1950's spring mounted kid's Trigger (Roy Rogers) rocking horse on a curb. Lugged it home two blocks and stashed it in the garage.  :headbang:

2 hours ago, thunsicker said:

Not in the stacks that I know of, and lots of broken image links, but...

BangZoom Collection

I remember the original pics in that thread - simply jaw dropping :cloud9:

DetectiveComics2GA.jpg

Wished I would have saved them purely from the historical perspective. Each time he posted something new was almost unbelievably overwhelming (almost every pic was a massive group shot of piles of high grade Golden Age books, pulps or novels). I really hope he is doing okay as he freely shared tons of pristine material that I had never seen before from so many genres, artists, publishers & authors.

-bc

Edited by bc
clarification & add pic

6 hours ago, Robot Man said:

It was a fast $250. Worth of garbage to me. :banana:

Your find was great. (thumbsu

Sorry, I just replied to the question posed in the thread title. I worded it badly, and it was not directed at your post.

—I’ve only found garbage at the dump. :sorry:

Edited by nepatkm

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:29 PM, catman76 said:

It wasn't an official dump, but across the street from where I lived as a kid was woods and a swampy area and people would dump stuff back there all the time. There was an old rusted out VW Beetle in there, lots of old tires, couches, all kinds of rusty metal stuff, old bottles, once someone dumped hundreds of bricks in there and we used them and all the scrap wood and metal stuff to build a fort. But one time someone dumped garbage bags full of magazines in there and one was full of 60s and 70s playboys, that was the first time I ever saw a naked lady lol

you never saw my post in four color thread.

2018413119_D-Duck-9-PirateGold-1.thumb.jpg.9a3865adde6e8d13f697715ef47b5f7e.jpg1696002689_D-Duck-9-PirateGold-1Letter.thumb.jpg.fb6aa23f7fe3d9c534b18df38f537fad.jpg

That's the first time I got a key Golden age in a piano bench with a sexy girl :whatthe:

2102955263_pianosexy.thumb.jpg.d5032e6902efe5445ebda953fb4db41e.jpg

15 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Now wait a minute...

You mean to say you got Carl Bark’s FC #9 AND got to see that girl naked?

That sure beats any day I’ve ever had picking!   :banana:

No I got the book only :makepoint: its 50/50 book or seeing her naked hm I did pick the book (thumbsu But if I was offered the bench well :whatthe: :whistle:

I won’t even touch that woohoo...:roflmao:

As a kid, I started out on National Geographic at my grandparents house.

Then  I graduated to Playboys found in the local liquor store dumpster or purloined from my friends dad.

Then the kid next door some how came up with a nudist magazine. I finally gots look at my first “under carriage”. Trouble was, most of the photos were of old ladies and very young girls. 

Man, we sure have come a long way. :preach:

3 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I won’t even touch that woohoo...:roflmao:

As a kid, I started out on National Geographic at my grandparents house.

Then  I graduated to Playboys found in the local liquor store dumpster or purloined from my friends dad.

Then the kid next door some how came up with a nudist magazine. I finally gots look at my first “under carriage”. Trouble was, most of the photos were of old ladies and very young girls. 

Man, we sure have come a long way. :preach:

same order

accomplished.jpg