• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom Lethal Protector #1 unread lot

5 posts in this topic

Picked up a lot of 20 or so unread copies years ago at an estate sale.  Books are crisp and never been read.  Looking at Ebay I just saw what graded copies are going for.  Being they are virtually untouched, would you send them in for grading, or just leave raw?  I am new at comic book grading and will be sending in my 1st order soon...just looking for advise.

Thanks-

Claude

8 hours ago, 1966BARRACUDA said:

Picked up a lot of 20 or so unread copies years ago at an estate sale.  Books are crisp and never been read.  Looking at Ebay I just saw what graded copies are going for.  Being they are virtually untouched, would you send them in for grading, or just leave raw?  I am new at comic book grading and will be sending in my 1st order soon...just looking for advise.

Thanks-

Claude

If you aren't familiar with grading, I would take it slow at first. If you send all 20 copies for grading, there is a good chance you could be disappointed in some of the grades. 

When I first started sending books to the CGC, I was very shocked at some of the grades. Books that I thought were a dead ringer for "perfect" came back as 9.0s and 9.2s. After a while, I was able to learn how to accurately grade. Unfortunately, it was a very expensive lesson to learn back in my early days. 

I suggest that you compare five books at a time. Pick the best from each stack. Then, compare the four best copies and pick the best one out of the bunch. Send it off for grading and see how you do. Once you get an idea of what the CGC thinks, you can send off some of your other books. Just remember to wear non-powdered latex gloves when you handle the books. Foil covers can pick up finger grease fairly easily. 

Lethal Protector is a great book that's on the rise. It's worth grading. But anything below a 9.8 will be difficult to sell. The last thing you need is 20 copies of the comic in the 9.0 - 9.6 range. 

Good luck and welcome to the boards! Let us know how they turn out. 

One more aspect of Venom Lethal Protector #1 is that graded copies with the UPC barcode lines on the front cover sell for significantly more than copies with the artwork in the little barcode box.  If all your copies are UPC barcode copies, congrats!  I'd be willing to bet very few, if any, have the barcode lines since most copies of this book don't.  (Newsstand editions of Venom Lethal Protector #1 have barcode lines and direct editions sold to comic stores have the artwork in the little box.)

I had 14 of them graded in various waves and ended up with one at 9.4, three at 9.6, and the rest 9.8. Two of the higher grades were the newsstand version. Bump on the advice earlier of inspecting a few at a time, not sending all at once, etc. 

I have another dozen or so that should grade 9.8 but I'm hanging onto those for awhile. I was hoping for a 9.9 on three of them as they were in excellent condition...but they ended up 9.8's.