• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Keeping your Collection Safe.
2 2

26 posts in this topic

I'm more concerned about theft than I am a fire, I don't own a house so getting a safe is out of the question. I can't find any safe deposit boxes available in my area that offer sizes bigger than 10 X 10 X 10 which is what I use to store my slabs in.  

On 5/25/2018 at 8:44 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

This topic got me to researching. Has anyone looked into Fireproof BAGS as opposed to safes? You can store the bag in a locked room or cabinet for security, but the bag itself is much cheaper than a large fireproof safe.

The only problem I have found is that I cannot find many that are large enough to store art portfolios or art. This is one of the few I was able to find. Its designed to protect documents in the event of a plane or car crash.

https://www.usbanksupply.com/index.cfm/go2/view/pID/1398/n/16qmark-w-x-18qmark-h-x-7qmark-d-fire_resistant-locking-courier-bags

Here's another product, with the following description:

"These bags are made from 1000 denier nylon and have a fire resistant liner sewn inside of the bag which can withstand temperatures up to 2500 degrees plus fahrenheit.  While we make no claim or guarantee they are "fire proof" and not sure anyone can given enough heat and exposure time, they certainly give a much greater degree of protection to important papers and items that would have no fire protection at all."

They have an 18" x 14" bag with internal dimensions of 16" x 14".

There are other bags out there that are also water resistant, or waterproof as well as fireproof. But I haven't been able to find many that fit OA

This is what I ordered last week. I can let you know how it works out for me.

$271.99 after shipping

Fire Resistant Satchel, 28W x 20H x 8D
$253.15
Item #2325003

I bought a couple fire resistant bags from USBANKSUPPLY. They hold 8 CGC books each. Not bad.  I also have insurance with Collectibles Insurance. They are easy to deal with in setting up a policy. Have not had to put in a claim yet, fortunately

https://www.usbanksupply.com/index.cfm/go2/products/category/bags-ampersand-accessories/subcategory/security~-fire_resistant~-ampersand-locking-bags/CID/9/SCID/54

On 7/14/2018 at 11:56 AM, gabadilla said:

This has been a very informative read. Has anyone looked into the logistics of a safety deposit box at a bank? 

I have, at a couple of banks around town.  Generally, the safety deposit box dimensions are too small to hold 11x17 art.  

On 7/14/2018 at 2:56 PM, gabadilla said:

This has been a very informative read. Has anyone looked into the logistics of a safety deposit box at a bank? 

Me too. My banks do not have safety deposit boxes big enough for 11x17 art either. :(