• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you keep track of run collecting?
1 1

67 posts in this topic

I am working on a run that's about 190+ issues. What have you found is the best way to keep up with what you have acquired and what you need? Preferably something accessed on my phone . I'm thinking a simple spreadsheet would suffice but am wondering if there are any better options out there. Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Jimbo749 said:

This method wouldn't work for me, but I saw a guy at a con walking around with a older copy of the OSPG crossing off lines in the book as he picked up comics.

That’s awesome! Speaking of which, I’m gonna just face cold hard reality this year and get the big print/binder copy of OSPG.  

Not about crossing stuff off, I just can’t read that tiny print anymore. :sorry:

Edited by NoMan

I have Word on my laptop, and I keep my current list there.  When I buy something, I bag it, board it, add it to my list, and then put it away.  The new list gets transferred to my cell phone as needed.  Mostly, I end up with piles on top of my boxes waiting to be catalogued and filed, mostly because I don't feel like moving a box or making space in a box to put one comic in it, so it's not ideal.

Truthfully, I remember a few stores who used to have bigger business cards with checklists on the back of them, and I wonder if that might not be easier!

20 minutes ago, NoMan said:

That’s awesome! Speaking of which, I’m gonna just face cold hard reality this year and get the big print/binder copy of OSPG.  

Not about crossing stuff off, I just can’t read that tiny print anymore. :sorry:

Ah nice, I didn't realize they offered more than the standard paperback book, the big print copy sounds cool. 

I have my entire collection up on Comicbookrealm.com, and I use the app when I'm out and about to check my want list or check to see if I already have a book. The website is free to use, the app is expensive ($15), but since all my books are cataloged there it makes sense and works out well. 

27 minutes ago, NoMan said:

If you’re asking personal opinion on “the best way” I write what I have/need on a piece of paper and put it in my pocket. (shrug)

My first attempt at this was note cards. Too pointy. So I carried a sheet of lined notebook paper with everything on it for the next 20 or so years. I replaced it every few years due to wear, but here is the last one. 

image.thumb.jpg.1cc16c6d589f6cd0ed85067237fb534c.jpg

I made a spreadsheet for my UXM run. I bring a printout with me to reference/mark off when I go to cons, but I can also access it by phone if needed (I keep it in my Dropbox account).

This is how mine looks. Left side/rows are 10s, top side/columns are single digits (so 58 would be 5 on the left, 8 on the top).

image.thumb.png.2e6bbec1821cd7b981b4046c4667ad17.png

1 minute ago, KirbyJack said:

My first attempt at this was note cards. Too pointy. So I carried a sheet of lined notebook paper with everything on it for the next 20 or so years. I replaced it every few years due to wear, but here is the last one. 

I'm impressed, not single space left to fill in. Also, is there a "new password" at the bottom?

1 minute ago, Cocomonkey said:

I made a spreadsheet for my UXM run. I bring a printout with me to reference/mark off when I go to cons, but I can also access it by phone if needed (I keep it in my Dropbox account).

This is how mine looks. Left side/rows are 10s, top side/columns are single digits (so 58 would be 5 on the left, 8 on the top).

image.thumb.png.2e6bbec1821cd7b981b4046c4667ad17.pngimageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b

You could easily sell this level of excel work as a service. Awesome work!

42 minutes ago, Jimbo749 said:

This method wouldn't work for me, but I saw a guy at a con walking around with a older copy of the OSPG crossing off lines in the book as he picked up comics.

Very inefficient in terms of search (does he go through the whole book at each booth?) and keeping track (not every issue is called out, many are line-priced if OPG deems them unworthy of a special notation).  

Love the dealer edition (a/k/a large print) though

16 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I did the same thing, looked very similar including the Upgrade entry, mostly on ASM. It was a lot of fun but I have long since stopped the run collecting. I may go for the first so many issues of a title and I like to collect the Last Issues but no more complete runs. I think all the renumbering and starting from #1 multiple times turned me away.

51 minutes ago, KPR Comics said:

Very inefficient in terms of search (does he go through the whole book at each booth?) and keeping track (not every issue is called out, many are line-priced if OPG deems them unworthy of a special notation).  

Love the dealer edition (a/k/a large print) though

No idea how he was going about it, just remember seeing him with the book open in one hand, the other hand in a box of comics. 

Lot's of great ideas. I made a simple checklist in Apple Numbers after posting this that I am going to try out. It syncs up through iCloud so I can check them off on the phone when I get them or wait until I get home with the pile and do it then.

I need to get a handle on grading so I can make a more elaborate spreadsheet to catalog them but I'm really trying to keep from making it into "work". I am starting off with something easy (Wolverine Volume 2 run) that I am going to try to purchase and read in order. I've already bought most of the keys as well as the limited series to get that out of the way.