• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you keep track of run collecting?
1 1

67 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Jimbo749 said:

Ah nice, I didn't realize they offered more than the standard paperback book, the big print copy sounds cool. 

Warning : I bought the big print edition for the first time last year and discovered it does not contain any of the market reports.  So yes, it lies flat and reduces eye strain, but you do not get the write-ups from dealers that discuss what's hot and what's not, if that matters to you.  It mattered to me!

46 minutes ago, Phicks said:

Warning : I bought the big print edition for the first time last year and discovered it does not contain any of the market reports.  So yes, it lies flat and reduces eye strain, but you do not get the write-ups from dealers that discuss what's hot and what's not, if that matters to you.  It mattered to me!

Thanks for the heads up!

I'm on a life-long journey for my ASM run. I'm an Excel spreadsheet guy like a few others have posted, and yes back in the 1990s I used notebook paper. I like the Excel spreadsheets. You can print a page to take with you to the con or keep it on your phone. A run of 190 will easily fit on one page, front and back so it is easy on the eyes. In the mean time you can assign grades, values, color coding, etc for quick reference. This is good for a long run like ASM with 800 issues. I need that color coding. 

6 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

My first attempt at this was note cards. Too pointy. So I carried a sheet of lined notebook paper with everything on it for the next 20 or so years. I replaced it every few years due to wear, but here is the last one. 

image.thumb.jpg.1cc16c6d589f6cd0ed85067237fb534c.jpg

What about grade?  

7 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

My LCS used to give out these cards and I still use them and bring them with me to cons. Not high tech but very efficient. They are the size of cue cards.

9A615334-42E1-4007-BC97-8145BB1781C3.jpeg

I'm Old School like this too, though the number of index cards gets unwieldy fairly quickly so I carry a much less bulky printed list of what I am after. Just reflecting on that last point, it has been so long since I've been to a Con or LCS for that matter the paper list is moot.

Here's one of mine, though I am surprised at your lack of progress regarding Iron Man 100 up :baiting:

IndexCard.jpg

22 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Any idea why there are 99 positions and not 100? OIn the top of the first column, the #1 has no reason to be offset. 

And you call yourself a collector :facepalm:

We are all a little OCD, and in the instance you query the "dangling checkboxes" on the first cards of a run irritate me .

So I "black" them out.

With a black marker.

Carefully :baiting:

46 minutes ago, Duffman_Comics said:

I'm Old School like this too, though the number of index cards gets unwieldy fairly quickly so I carry a much less bulky printed list of what I am after. Just reflecting on that last point, it has been so long since I've been to a Con or LCS for that matter the paper list is moot.

Here's one of mine, though I am surprised at your lack of progress regarding Iron Man 100 up :baiting:

IndexCard.jpg

Lol I’m all finished the Iron Man run - it was just a random card I had at the office!

23 minutes ago, justafan said:

excel spreadsheet.

multiple tabs

1 run per tab

columns are

Box#, title, volume, issue #, grade, value, cost, description/grade notes, purchased from, census 

I have it synced to the cloud and accessible to my phone 

:headbang:

Nearly identical to my current method down to the column order (I have columns for PQ, cover pic, current GPA and Pedigree)

But did the index card, graph paper, small notebook thing in the past. Whatever works.

-bc

36 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Any idea why there are 99 positions and not 100? OIn the top of the first column, the #1 has no reason to be offset. 

He blacked out “hundred” on his card and the 2 boxes below.

22F4D6F2-CB59-40E5-940D-09280F0A0ABB.jpeg

Edited by Jordysnordy

11 hours ago, Maroonandwhite said:

I am working on a run that's about 190+ issues.

When I started the 1,321 issues run of Four Color (2nd series), I went to the GCD and screen captured all the covers, manipulated them for printing purposes in color and hole-punched them into a binder as a checklist. It was really important for me to get to know and recognized the covers and quickly visually know what I had and what I was missing. Now, I just have a list of the final issues I need.

Did the same for the Dell / GK Tarzan run. Main reason here is that none of the issues have the number displayed on the cover!!! That's 206 issues without a number of the cover. So, short of opening the bags over and over checking issue numbers, it wasn't going to happen. Having the covers in the binder sped up the process.

Nothing beats Excel if you are halfway decent at using it. There are no better options.

I use them often at work to sort data, and I appreciate the speed and flexibility that it affords.

There is no better option. :)

I used the registry to track my Spawn collection. I scan everything, so I can also just check the folders on my hard drive to quickly see what I have and do not have,.

1 hour ago, bc said:

:headbang:

Nearly identical to my current method down to the column order (I have columns for PQ, cover pic, current GPA and Pedigree)

But did the index card, graph paper, small notebook thing in the past. Whatever works.

-bc

Nice! Hey how do you have your cover pics in the cells? I've been thinking of doing this but not sure how it will distort the row sizing not to mention the file size. can you maybe post or pm a screenshot sample?

I put my PQ in the grade column and descriptions but might be a good idea to separate them. 

25 minutes ago, justafan said:

Nice! Hey how do you have your cover pics in the cells? I've been thinking of doing this but not sure how it will distort the row sizing not to mention the file size. can you maybe post or pm a screenshot sample?

I put my PQ in the grade column and descriptions but might be a good idea to separate them. 

I like to keep as many attributes separated as possible for easy reporting.

I don't put a pic in the cell, that column has a link to a OneDrive folder that contains the pics. Since they open in a separate app, I can resize them to make them useful. You're right, otherwise the file size is to huge for a mobile experience. Key is to have a standard pic naming convention so you can copy/paste in your spreadsheet quickly (or if know VBA, you can make a form that queries and stores all the info for a new book :)).

Also, created visual timeline checklists in Excel for the titles I am interested in and used some color codes and cell properties to show attributes. This seems to force me to learn more about the history of the title/publishers/artists as well as place them in historic perspective.

atlas checklist.jpg

39 minutes ago, bc said:

I like to keep as many attributes separated as possible for easy reporting.

I don't put a pic in the cell, that column has a link to a OneDrive folder that contains the pics. Since they open in a separate app, I can resize them to make them useful. You're right, otherwise the file size is to huge for a mobile experience. Key is to have a standard pic naming convention so you can copy/paste in your spreadsheet quickly (or if know VBA, you can make a form that queries and stores all the info for a new book :)).

Also, created visual timeline checklists in Excel for the titles I am interested in and used some color codes and cell properties to show attributes. This seems to force me to learn more about the history of the title/publishers/artists as well as place them in historic perspective.

atlas checklist.jpg

Oooh! Man that's awesome.  The use of a link to the photos makes much more sense.  I'll try and set something up like that.  That's pretty sophisticated.  Great ideas.  Thanks!