• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crazy Run up on price than crash and burn. And I mean BURN!
3 3

339 posts in this topic

Bored here at LAX and got to wondering if there was ever a book that just shot to the heavens and then crashed BIG TIME!

Like if HOS 92 suddenly took a huge hit and was now selling for 5 or 10 dollars in HG. 

Inquiring bored minds want to know!

X-Factor 6 in pretty much every grade but especially in CGC 9.8.  Run up before the movie and now its back to being in the boxes.

Several modern books that I avoided have shot up in value and now are in the $1 bins.  It happens way more then you would think especially in the Copper and Modern section.

4 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

X-Factor 6 in pretty much every grade but especially in CGC 9.8.  Run up before the movie and now its back to being in the boxes.

Several modern books that I avoided have shot up in value and now are in the $1 bins.  It happens way more then you would think especially in the Copper and Modern section.

Don’t really know jack about Moderns. So let’s say silver/copper/bronze. 

I suppose, like nearly everything in this hobby, it’ll be the result of movie hype. 

Edited by NoMan

I'm sure there has been some huge run ups and then a warehouse find happens and a book crashes to the ground but what we are seeing is keys will sell no matter haw many copies there are so the warehouse finds don't have the impact they use to.  Over the last 5 years, books only shoot up because of tv / movie news so it makes sense they only crash when the movie hype fades and the masses start looking elsewhere.  Look at New Mutants 18 - book shot up to $25 - $30 and now seems to go for $5 - $10.  Prices are still hold steady but even Star Wars 1 went from a demand book to being it's usual niche book.

2 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I'm sure there has been some huge run ups and then a warehouse find happens and a book crashes to the ground but what we are seeing is keys will sell no matter haw many copies there are so the warehouse finds don't have the impact they use to.  Over the last 5 years, books only shoot up because of tv / movie news so it makes sense they only crash when the movie hype fades and the masses start looking elsewhere.  Look at New Mutants 18 - book shot up to $25 - $30 and now seems to go for $5 - $10.  Prices are still hold steady but even Star Wars 1 went from a demand book to being it's usual niche book.

Thanks. You’re probably correct. 

I can remember back during the Black and White craze in the 80's there were more than a few books that shot up to the $10 to $40 range only to fall way back down. I do not remember ever paying more than cover price as my then LCS was good to me and made sure I got the issues that I was reading/collecting. 

Pre-Unity Valiants such as Harbinger 1 have fluctuated dramatically.  Peak in the 90s in the UK of £100, £5 or less by circa 94.  Rai 3 was more expensive still.  I saw around £150 in a London comic shop back then, followed by a similar trajectory.  

Of course, prices revived mid-2000s for UHG slabs, still with considerable subsequent volatility.

Edited by Ken Aldred

31 minutes ago, Rip said:

The Sixth Gun is a good one.

More recently Preacher 1

2016 Hi 1339 low 406
2018 Hi 386 low 211 and falling

This is about the same time CAK was pumping Preacher on the boards before his departure. Coincidence? hm   Naaaah. 

Seven to Eternity #1 1st print 9.8 was $250+ in early 2017. Now you can get it for under $100.
A lot of people are selling off their Walking Deads these days... #1 9.8 used to sell as high as $4000; now it's in the low $2000s.

Edited by adampasz

Preacher 1

Not down to 5-10 bucks but definitely a significant decline.(in HG it was never worth that)

The hype for this book was insane, then the first episode came out and the masses didn't get into it.

Everyone was thinking this was the new wallking dead, instead it crashed and continues to decrase to this day.

Alot of people got burned on this book.

Walking Dead's GPA hasn't dropped much from 2789 at peak to 2390. Book has always fluxed a bit even a few years ago it would range like that. A 9.9 sold for 20K not too long ago.

Edited by Rip