• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crazy Run up on price than crash and burn. And I mean BURN!
3 3

339 posts in this topic

Revival 1 comes to mind, I remember one boardie who lost his shirt trying buying up every 9.8 and even a 9.9 copy in C/B/M.

Sixth Gun as already mentioned

That Hot Topic exclusive comic that had the Grey Hulk funko pop just before Age of Ultron came out. Recall notice, then the recall was cancelled and prices plummeted.

Amazing Spidey 700 Ditko variant

Green Lantern 76

FF 45

Peter Panzerfaust

4 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

It will sometimes happen on 1st appearances of movie villians. Tales of Suspense 97, 1st Whiplash, comes to mind.

Movie and TV villains of that caliber are bad bets with short shelf lives. A whole bunch of DC silver age villains had big bumps do to the CW Flash,Supergirl and Arrow TV shows,but are now starting to drop do to those shows ratings having slumped badly this season.

15 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Wasn't there a story about Fish Police #1 doing something like that?

(Before my time.) :grin:

Yup. That’s one of the most-renowned 80s indie price crashes.

Edited by Ken Aldred

5 hours ago, NoMan said:

Bored here at LAX and got to wondering if there was ever a book that just shot to the heavens and then crashed BIG TIME!

Like if HOS 92 suddenly took a huge hit and was now selling for 5 or 10 dollars in HG. 

Inquiring bored minds want to know!

Where are you seeing HG HOS 92 for $5-$10?  Just curious because I don't see that and would love to pick a couple up at that price.

43 minutes ago, grayzr said:

Preacher 1

Not down to 5-10 bucks but definitely a significant decline.(in HG it was never worth that)

The hype for this book was insane, then the first episode came out and the masses didn't get into it.

Everyone was thinking this was the new wallking dead, instead it crashed and continues to decrase to this day.

Alot of people got burned on this book.

One of the few books I lost out big on and I'm still sitting on a large batch of the later issues since it seemed like a no brainer and just crashed.  I bought a 9.8 and a 9.6 when they took a dip and I thought they would be a rebound and ended up loosing $200 on the pair.

5 hours ago, NoMan said:

Don’t really know jack about Moderns. So let’s say silver/copper/bronze. 

I suppose, like nearly everything in this hobby, it’ll be the result of movie hype. 

Not a precipitous drop but Overstreet dropped the value of Charlton's Thing #16 in NM from $345.00 to $200.00 in 2000 due to a warehouse find of many copies. This also happened to Harvey's Captain 3-D #1 in 1979, when the value of NM copies went from $30.00 to $15.00 due to a warehouse find.

5 hours ago, 1Cool said:

X-Factor 6 in pretty much every grade but especially in CGC 9.8.  Run up before the movie and now its back to being in the boxes.

Several modern books that I avoided have shot up in value and now are in the $1 bins.  It happens way more then you would think especially in the Copper and Modern section.

I don't read comics much these days, but what the heck happened in X-Factor 6 that made it so important?  Was this the original series?

Malvin

3 minutes ago, malvin said:

I don't read comics much these days, but what the heck happened in X-Factor 6 that made it so important?  Was this the original series?

Malvin

First appearance of apocalypse 

20 minutes ago, JazzMan said:

Where are you seeing HG HOS 92 for $5-$10?  Just curious because I don't see that and would love to pick a couple up at that price.

The operative word in his statement is “IF”

It’s a hypothetical to illustrate his question. 

Not comic-related, but may still be relevant: I remember a friend at a baseball card show during the craze in 1990 going table to table offering $200 to anyone who would sell him a Fleer Jose Canseco rookie card (ungraded of course - they all were back then). Every single vendor turned him down, knowing they were sitting on a future gold mine and would be nuts to part with it for that pittance. The card sells on Ebay now for $5...

28 minutes ago, JazzMan said:

HOS in any grade will never be $5-$10.

Even in the face of economic collapse

1 hour ago, JazzMan said:

I was giving an example. I know if no HOS 92 for 5 bucks. 

2 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

Not comic-related, but may still be relevant: I remember a friend at a baseball card show during the craze in 1990 going table to table offering $200 to anyone who would sell him a Fleer Jose Canseco rookie card (ungraded of course - they all were back then). Every single vendor turned him down, knowing they were sitting on a future gold mine and would be nuts to part with it for that pittance. The card sells on Ebay now for $5...

Feels like that story should have been about a 1986 Donruss Jose Canseco... not Fleer. :grin: