• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crazy Run up on price than crash and burn. And I mean BURN!
3 3

339 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Kramerica said:

Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters

Punisher War Journal 6

The ALIENS and Predator books from Dark Horse

Nick Fury vs SHIELD

I remember these being the hottest thing at one point back in the day, only to fall back to Earth hard.

Agreed on all except for the Aliens DH series, at least the first six issue mini. 1 & 2 in 9.8 continue to go up. #1 is a $600+ book these days, and #2 is a ghost. I thought I was paying a lot when I spent about $350 on my #1 a couple of years ago, but I'm glad I jumped when I did. #2 is just about impossible to find in 9.8, took me MANY years to finally find a copy. There were only two in the census for many years, but I believe that has jumped quite a bit. Still a tough book.

Raw copies may not hit the highs of 1988, but in grade they're still worth hunting and buying for sure.

As for the rest of the DH books, it just depends on the series. You can find a lot of the minis littering the 50 cent bins, but there are some series like Apocalypse - Destroying Angels, Xenogenesis and Aliens vs Terminator vs Predator which are fairly tough and command a bit of a premium in complete sets. Individual books are still $1-$5.

26 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

And Adolescent Radioactive Black-Belt Hamsters.  Oooh or The Elementals.

Fish Police, Boris the Bear, ....Ohh man, one by one you all are listing my collection.:insane: Yep I bought them all back in the day, but at least it was for cover price less my discount. I should have sold them when the selling was good. And anyone remember the Fish Police Animated show? I remember watching it.

41 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Agreed on all except for the Aliens DH series, at least the first six issue mini. 1 & 2 in 9.8 continue to go up. #1 is a $600+ book these days, and #2 is a ghost. I thought I was paying a lot when I spent about $350 on my #1 a couple of years ago, but I'm glad I jumped when I did. #2 is just about impossible to find in 9.8, took me MANY years to finally find a copy. There were only two in the census for many years, but I believe that has jumped quite a bit. Still a tough book.

Raw copies may not hit the highs of 1988, but in grade they're still worth hunting and buying for sure.

As for the rest of the DH books, it just depends on the series. You can find a lot of the minis littering the 50 cent bins, but there are some series like Apocalypse - Destroying Angels, Xenogenesis and Aliens vs Terminator vs Predator which are fairly tough and command a bit of a premium in complete sets. Individual books are still $1-$5.

38 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

PS: Also Predator 1, 1st issue of the 1st series, is worth quite a bit in 9.8. 

While true in the technicality of 9.8, I think you have to take that out of the equation because that's the exception. He's definitely correct on all those series in how they were hyped back in the late 80's. All those square bound mini's and all of DH"s licensed properties (including Terminator) got hyped out the wazoo as "can't miss, mega-hot" titles, but they fell mighty flat a few years later. I think with Aliens and Predator (individually, not the smash-up mini), the demand is only for the ultra-high grade copies. I'm not saying they're not cool and I still have nostalgic feelings for both of the original mini's, I just don't think they're sought-after outside of truly mint copies.

@Robot Man hit the classic example on the head with HTD and Shazam.  A couple more  recent examples not yet mentioned include (at least I think they dropped a lot) Cap 217 on the Quasar spec, and the Revenge of the Living Monolith graphic novel, which heated briefly as the first appearance of the Egyptian dude who becomes Apocalypse, or somesuch. 

2 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

How about gazing into the crystal ball? is that allowed? Because this is my guess for the next book to tumble back to Earth...

RADD732A201858_104424.jpg

I'm thinking Ms Marvel 1 and Star Wars 1 as well. Lots and lots of them.

3 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I had no clue that ALIENS fetched that much in 9.8. That's wild. I remember shelling out a LOT of money to grab those raw way back when. I totally missed the boat on that DH stuff despite working in a comic shop. I just didn't see how a comic couldn't compete with the movies so I wasn't interested in the beginning.ALIENS vs. Predator 1-4 Vol 1 changed that and then of course I had to go back and buy them all. 

The Watchmen slipcased hardcover.  Leading up to the film it was selling for several hundred dollars ( I can't remember if it was around $400 or £400) but after the film this soon dropped to around £50.

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

Feels like that story should have been about a 1986 Donruss Jose Canseco... not Fleer. :grin:

Or Kevin Mitchell rookie cards, or Gregg Jefferies, those were sky high then worthless. 

On Comics I certainly remember Fish Police at the time, also when Valiant and Image came out, everything was well above cover weeks after a release.

7 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

FF #45 first Inhumans has been dropping like a rock when the Inhumans tv show was deemed an epic bomb by Rotten Tomatoes and got cancelled in its first season do to low ratings. 

Last nights finish.   (shrug) not really crashing that bad.

CGC 9.4 NM $7,877

CGC 9.6 NM+ $9,655
Edited by paul747

8 hours ago, grayzr said:

Preacher 1

Not down to 5-10 bucks but definitely a significant decline.(in HG it was never worth that)

The hype for this book was insane, then the first episode came out and the masses didn't get into it.

Everyone was thinking this was the new wallking dead, instead it crashed and continues to decrase to this day.

Alot of people got burned on this book.

Preacher's fall was mostly the result of a concerted effort by a comic group online spouting off fake news about the print run. It went on for months.