• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crazy Run up on price than crash and burn. And I mean BURN!
3 3

339 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I find the frequent graphic scenes and general attitude a bit too sadistic. I've never been one for sniggering at someone else's misfortune, and I feel there's a lot of that in Ennis's work generally. When I've had a discussion about this in a comic shop, a common explanation is that the excesses are justifiable within the context of the story, but I just don't get it. (shrug)

Perfectly reasonable argument. I can see why he wouldn't be for everyone. I'm not a fan of being mean-spirited just for the sake of being mean-spirited, that's for sure.

On 5/24/2018 at 4:26 PM, valiantman said:

Feels like that story should have been about a 1986 Donruss Jose Canseco... not Fleer. :grin:

Yes , many baseball rookie cards have crash and burned 

Greg Jeffries comes to mind

6 hours ago, The Resurrection said:

Marvel Two in One #52 was going crazy for awhile, selling raws for $30-45.00 and 9.8's over $200 and now is back to being a $5-10.00 book

Luckily I missed this run up...... I just googled this book and still can't figure out why it was "hot"? What was the deal?

Back when it came out, Wildcats 1 from Image had a “Gold” exclusive. Stores had to order hundreds of the regular issue to obtain it. I recall seeing prices as high as $500 for it before the comic crash. Today raw copies are anywhere from $20-$50.

I recall by about 1980, here in the UK, that Fear 19 and HTD 1 were a bit of a joke, and the comic shops I went to at the time wouldn't touch them with a ten-foot pole, books so badly tainted by price volatility.

Edited by Ken Aldred

10 hours ago, Boric Gold said:

Luckily I missed this run up...... I just googled this book and still can't figure out why it was "hot"? What was the deal?

First appearance of Crossfire and Earth-7958 versions of FF and others...other than himself, the others were a figment of his imagination I believe...some kind of speculation would be my guess...

Edited by JTD

14 hours ago, Boric Gold said:

4 hours ago, JTD said:

First appearance of Crossfire and Earth-7958 versions of FF and others...other than himself, the others were a figment of his imagination I believe...some kind of speculation would be my guess...

Crossfire was rumored for the first Ant Man movie when they announced some details about the villain. It ended up being Yellow Jacket, but the speculation machine had already started.

i agree, not sure why it sells for more than $1 now.

On 5/24/2018 at 4:48 PM, Black_Adam said:

How about gazing into the crystal ball? is that allowed? Because this is my guess for the next book to tumble back to Earth...

RADD732A201858_104424.jpg

Not anytime soon with the huge success the movie was. Definitely #2 on the way.  I don't expect this to drop much and will rise again once #2 starts getting promoted.

Topps Comics X-Files 1

During the mid-90s, at the show's peak of popularity, this was regularly seen at £35 / $50 with UK dealers. Well before the end of the decade, I picked up another high grade first print copy for £2.

Edited by Ken Aldred

15 hours ago, Duffman_Comics said:

Your experience mirrored in the Don Rosa cover for "Collector's Dream", March 1978

It's hard to see in the scan, but the kid on the left is holding a "Howard the Duck" #1 with a $20.00 price tag:

CD004638x812.jpg

The guy on the left looks like Tom Kalb.

By the way...if anyone is ever wondering what might be "worth money" in the future, check out what was hot in the past.

Valiant, for example, has had a couple of minor resurgences over the years. Danger Girl, apparently, is going to be "hot" again. And, of course, all the Bronze keys that you couldn't give away in the 80s, became SCORCHING hot in the 90s, then couldn't give away again in the 00s, and now are, once again, hot, or poised to be.

Batman #426-429 have had their ups and downs, but they were worthless in the 90s...you could have bought all you wanted. I hemmed and hawed on a 20 book lot of Bats #428 on eBay....for $42...because it was over $2/per.

Silver Surfer (Thanos) was, of course, smoking hot in the 90s....now, guess what?

Turtles is a great example, too. Dead. Dead dead dead by the late 90's. Junk. #1 first prints selling for $100 or less, everything else $10 or less...now look.

Nobody's ever going to be able to pick "1st Squirrel Girl" and books like that. Granted. But, there are tons and tons of books that were, at one time, smoking hot...and could be again. People remember. 

On 5/25/2018 at 8:03 PM, Duffman_Comics said:

Your experience mirrored in the Don Rosa cover for "Collector's Dream", March 1978

It's hard to see in the scan, but the kid on the left is holding a "Howard the Duck" #1 with a $20.00 price tag:

CD004638x812.jpg

By the way....it's unfortunate that Don Rosa, like many, has such an unrealistic and silly notion regarding comics. There will always be people who care nothing for the artform, but use the artform to make money. After all...Don Rosa himself uses the artform to make money. He resents the free market because he doesn't understand the free market.

However...the reason so many people are willing to pay more than cover price...sometimes tens of millions times more than cover price...is because they enjoyed them. 

Very, very few people who "invest" in comics do so because they have no attachment to them whatsoever. And those that do always move on to the next fad when they realize that "investing" in comics is a fool's game. Those that form an attachment to the artform, who buy comics for ENJOYMENT, generally stay.

It's not one or the other. It's both. 

So when Don Rosa sneers at people for wanting to slab books, he's doing it out of ignorance, as he's done now for 40+ years. Don Rosa, who refuses to sign for "slabbing", because, OBVIOUSLY, people who slab books can't POSSIBLY have enjoyed his work, can't POSSIBLY have appreciated and ENJOYED what he created, and are "just in it for the money"...you know, like he, himself, is....and are to be shunned and despised.

Oh well.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

By the way....it's unfortunate that Don Rosa, like many, have such an unrealistic and silly notion regarding comics. There will always be people who care nothing for the artform, but use the artform to make money. After all...Don Rosa himself uses the artform to make money. He resents the free market because he doesn't understand the free market.

However...the reason so many people are willing to pay more than cover price...sometimes tens of millions times more than cover price...is because they enjoyed them. 

Very, very few people who "invest" in comics do so because they have no attachment to them whatsoever. And those that do always move on to the next fad when they realize that "investing" in comics is a fool's game. Those that form an attachment to the artform, who buy comics for ENJOYMENT, generally stay.

It's not one or the other. It's both. 

So when Don Rosa sneers at people for wanting to slab books, he's doing it out of ignorance, as he's done now for 40+ years. Don Rosa, who refuses to sign for "slabbing", because, OBVIOUSLY, people who slab books can't POSSIBLY have enjoyed his work, can't POSSIBLY have appreciated and ENJOYED what he created, and are "just in it for the money"...you know, like he, himself, is....and are to be shunned and despised.

Oh well.

He's so altruistic, I'm sure he gave his collection away. Oh, wait...