• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crazy Run up on price than crash and burn. And I mean BURN!
3 3

339 posts in this topic

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:53 AM, mysterio said:

This run is one of my current $1 box projects. I’ve assembled 2/3 of the run in high grade on the cheap, and plan to read it front to back once I complete it. 

Later issues of the Nam are more expensive than the rest of the run. Same with Groo. Speaking of which, how's the Pacific Comics Groo #1 doing these days? Or Destroyer Duck #1?

24 minutes ago, MisterX said:

Later issues of the Nam are more expensive than the rest of the run. Same with Groo. Speaking of which, how's the Pacific Comics Groo #1 doing these days? Or Destroyer Duck #1?

At what point is it a "later" issue? Not sure how long either run is....:shy:

Just curious as a used bookstore by me, basically at $2 a piece, has small runs of: John Carter, Groo, JLA, and I think that's it. I've checked the JC for price variants, but a cashier there cherry picks lolit'd be nice to find something worth reading etc. 

On 5/25/2018 at 1:12 PM, grayzr said:

It's just not a show for non fans like walking dead was. I say was because walking dead is going into the toilet as well. Almost feels like someone on the TV team is trying to sabotage the show because it literally can't get any worse.

show is so bad now i have not watched in three years .... completely unremarkable and unwatchable when i stopped watching.....

On 5/25/2018 at 2:22 PM, joeypost said:

This one fell like a rock...while copies were in the process of being graded. Never forget some of the frantic emails I got for customers to see if CGC would allow their copies to be pulled and be spared the cost of grading. 

remember some guys on a comic podcast who had been loving and supporting the series and the creators from issue one were trying to decidw.if they should sell the OA they had from the first issue (including the cover), they were getting high 4 figure offers...wonder what they ended up doing...

5 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
6 hours ago, MisterX said:

At what point is it a "later" issue? Not sure how long either run is....:shy:

Just curious as a used bookstore by me, basically at $2 a piece, has small runs of: John Carter, Groo, JLA, and I think that's it. I've checked the JC for price variants, but a cashier there cherry picks lolit'd be nice to find something worth reading etc. 

Groo is awesome. One of the best comics ever produced. 36 years of hilarity and hijinks, courtesy of Aragones and company.

I highly, highly recommend it. Fun, light-hearted reading.

On 5/26/2018 at 12:03 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Topps Comics X-Files 1

During the mid-90s, at the show's peak of popularity, this was regularly seen at £35 / $50 with UK dealers. Well before the end of the decade, I picked up another high grade first print copy for £2.

Oh yeah, for sure. These were booming back when I worked at the LCS, and we'd sell every wall copy we put up for $50. For a while I was picking them up out of $1 bins just because I remembered how much they used to go for, but eventually I stopped because I could barely sell them for the buck I spent! That is a huge crash and burn.

Another brief flash from the '90s -- Sword of Azrael mini.

_Great_ self-contained story with solid Quesada art.

After Knightfall hit # 1 alone was a $45 wall book.

Last month I passed on a set of # 1-4 for $12.

Anyone remember how hot those "esoteric" comics were at one point?  "Trapped" comes to mind as one that ran up and then fell off of the table.  Was there a large warehouse find?

Edited by pemart1966

3 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Anyone remember how hot those "esoteric" comics were at one point?  "Trapped" comes to mind as one that ran up and then fell off of the table.  Was there a large warehouse find?

Yes, I recall seeing these warehouse finds (e.g. Capt Inapak with Powell art, and Capt Gallant Heinz promo comic) in stacks 25 years ago and even last year at USA cons.

13 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Batman 59 1st deadshot

That one still goes for pretty good money, unfortunately for people who just want to complete their Batman run.

14 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

"Spaced" and "Quadrant" were monstrous B&W hits that are now functionally worthless.

"Albedo" has come back quite a bit because of Usagi, but it, too, was a monstrous hit that became worthless.

Quadrant :x  Found a beat up copy of #1 at the LCS this weekend, and nostalgia almost made me grab it, but even for $5 it was just too rough. Terrific book, though!

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:18 AM, NoMan said:

Interesting. So you’re saying NOW is the time to scoop up copies of TDKR? I love that book and i’d like to sell my collection in 20 or so years and make a little coin, so.... ??

Can someone let me know what "TDKR" is??

1 minute ago, cupny said:

Can someone let me know what "TDKR" is??

The Dark Knight Returns