• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crazy Run up on price than crash and burn. And I mean BURN!
3 3

339 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I'm more of a Lum guy myself, but Ranma and Maison Ikkoku are both tremendous books, lots of fun.

Been meaning to check out Urusei Yatsura, it’s just so many episodes. Just recently watched the second movie Beautiful Dreamer when it was released on Blu-ray. Was good fun. 

On 6/1/2018 at 2:58 PM, october said:

Interest in artist collecting is very much alive and well on the Golden Age side. In fact, it's hotter than ever. Baker, Cole, Schomburg, Wolverton, Frazetta, etc covers draw a big premium and will continue to do so for a long time. 

I would argue that the fact the J Scott Campbell has his own website and is making a killing shows this is true in the modern era as well.  I would say Adam Hughes fits the category as well. I personally rarely pass on Dave Stevens books if I see them even though I have maybe 25% of his covers graded 9.8 and a stack of raws a foot tall.

Edited by Mayor006

2 hours ago, deadleg said:

Been meaning to check out Urusei Yatsura, it’s just so many episodes. Just recently watched the second movie Beautiful Dreamer when it was released on Blu-ray. Was good fun. 

Yes, was very excited to finally get some UY on Blu! You can't beat the original television series. I think it's tough to track down on DVD nowadays, but man, pound for pound, that is still one of the funniest television series of all time, cartoon, live action, any genre. Hilarious stuff.

3 hours ago, deadleg said:

Also, to be fair, I may be a bit biased. You could say I'm a fan. 

Photo Jun 04, 1 37 48 PM.jpg

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

Yes, was very excited to finally get some UY on Blu! You can't beat the original television series. I think it's tough to track down on DVD nowadays, but man, pound for pound, that is still one of the funniest television series of all time, cartoon, live action, any genre. Hilarious stuff.

I see a couple of the dvd volumes every once in a while at anime conventions or at this one comic shop in downtown Atlanta, but I’ve never seen the full set together. I know if they ever released the entire series on Blu-ray or I came across the entire dvd set, I would break down and buy it immediately. 

Edited by deadleg

11 minutes ago, deadleg said:

I see a couple of the dvd volumes every once in a while at anime conventions or at this one comic shop in downtown Atlanta, but I’ve never seen the full set together. I know if they ever released the entire series on Blu-ray or I came across the entire dvd set, I would break down and buy it immediately. 

Yeah, the old shot was most likely edited on video so I doubt there's any sort of master that would transfer well to HD. I don't even have the full DVD set myself, they were pretty pricey when they came out, though probably not as bad as when I used to pay $40 for a 60 min long VHS tape. :frustrated:  Hopefully we'll get more of the OVAs and theatrical releases on Blu at some point, as those should have better masters, I'd think.

Ok, thread hijack over, sorry gang!

A solid investment- companies that manufacture comic long/short boxes. Your gonna need a place to store all those Saga, Walking Deads, indies, variants and cracked out cgc graded books who's value drops like a ton of bricks because the demand is no longer there and the dollar bins will be bursting at the seams

Edited by B2D327
added info

11 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Well damn!

I bought the Viz run when it came out in the 80s but never thought it had such a huge following. Also the Lum tpb 1st edition is a very rare book

Yeah, it kills me, I had a couple of copies of the "Perfect Collection" (the big, blue trade you're talking about) in dead mint condition. Perfect spine, sharp corners, etc. I ended up selling them for peanuts because I already had all of the material collected and figured the trades were redundant. SO, a while back I thought "Oh, I may as well buy a copy for the permanent collection, even if I already have the comics" and couldn't BELIEVE the prices! Insanity! For a number of years you couldn't even get MSRP for it. Oh well, that's how things tend to go for me. For the most part you can still get the Viz comics, including the terrific prestige format first series, for a buck or two.

On 5/25/2018 at 8:27 AM, F For Fake said:

I think it's because even though it may have had marginally higher initial orders at the time, it took a while for the vast majority of fans of these three franchises to realize that this weird smash up of properties existed. Also, it's a much better read than it has any right to be!

Now I'm even more confused on the prices for A vs P vs T, just looked it up in the 2017-2018 and it is still listed at cover price.

On 5/24/2018 at 1:58 PM, James J Johnson said:

Iron Man and Sub-Mariner #1. For awhile, was keeping pace with IM 1. Those days are long over.

Not true.

Iron Man and Sub-Mariner NEVER was on par w/ Iron Man and Subby 1 - look the prices up in ANY older Overstreet guides.

However, IMSM HAS gained traction, and prices have increased steadily over the last 15 years. There was a rumor that

this man had 187+ encapsulated, and 5,015 raw books in one entire storage unit, 33 boxes of the raws, 18 boxes of the encapsulated ones.

I know the person, so this is not some made up fantasy story. He still has about five boxes of raws sitting somewhere. I personally seen them. He told me that he's going to have photos soon.

That guy used to have a Marvel Silver Age collection where the Dealers would pick up their phones and call him every now and then.

Jon Allen used to work at Heritage and cold-called him over CGC items.

He's slowly sold stuff over the past ten years or so, as he's getting back into Coins, his first foray into Collecting.

He said something about the Coinees are more reasonable, well, you get it. More "coin" to be made in Coins anyway( pun intended). You guys can talk to that man yourselves, who am I to speak for him?

He's very reasonable until you shove him. He was born in Baltimore, MD and did not have the best of childhoods; when he gets pushed around that

Baltimore City Bad Boy comes out and that is not a sight to behold.

Back to IMSM, it has been proven more than once here on this Forum that the higher grade copies are the hardest to get out of the three( IM, SM , IMSM). There were production issues with that "One-Shot".

Certain acceptable details such as the common chipping on the upper left back cover, and the green, sometimes blue-green excess distributor's ink on the first page, lower right margin.

The advertisement on the front inner cover has heavy, thick impressed "lines" from that ad that are easily seen from the front cover side, and I can tell if any copy has been pressed because of that ONE detail.

But enough for now.

IMSM is the greatest One-Shot, and that guy just liked that issue. He's told that story time and time again as to WHY he set out to do this with IMSM.

maybe I can get him to tell it sometime soon.

CAL who knows certain people....:devil:

3 hours ago, Calamerica said:

Not true.

Iron Man and Sub-Mariner NEVER was on par w/ Iron Man and Subby 1 - look the prices up in ANY older Overstreet guides.

Overstreet? Go back about 15 years. IM 1 was a $450 book, IMSM a $150 book. 5 years before that, IM 1 was a $350 book and IMSM was a $150 book. I don't have older Overstreets but I'm sure that at one point, it was probably $250/$150 or even closer. They were on par, or keeping pace. The IMSM reached that $150 value level and stagnated. Stopped in its tracks, while the IM 1 continued to increase in value; worth twice as much, three times as much, four times as much, etc., etc. What was once a relatively small gap is now goal posts. Given old Overstreet info and the GP data of the past 15 years, wouldn't you fully agree with that assessment?

Not true.

Have you looked them up, Cal? I'd be hard pressed to believe that. In the 1987 Overstreet, IM 1 is about $45. IMSM 1 is about $10. So is Sub-Mariner 1 about $10. These two books, IMSM 1 and Sub were on par, and remained on par for a number of years. Their pricing synonymous, until the Sub 1 started to pull away. So, either you didn't open the Overstreet, aren't as familiar with the Overstreet past prices as you thought you were, or don't understand "on par". Another term would be "keeping pace". IMSM 1 and Sub 1 kept pace with each other for a number of years. Not only kept pace, but the prices on par with each other. But not to worry, I'm here, and I'm going to work up a spreadsheet to show par and pacing of the IM 1, SM 1, and the IMSM 1 from the 70s to the present. The data might surprise you.

Edited by James J Johnson

4 hours ago, Jimbo749 said:

Now I'm even more confused on the prices for A vs P vs T, just looked it up in the 2017-2018 and it is still listed at cover price.

Oh, you think the OPG is still relevant. There's your mistake.

Not true.

However, IMSM HAS gained traction, and prices have increased steadily over the last 15 years. There was a rumor that

this man had 187+ encapsulated, and 5,015 raw books in one entire storage unit, 33 boxes of the raws, 18 boxes of the encapsulated ones.

I know the person, so this is not some made up fantasy story. He still has about five boxes of raws sitting somewhere. I personally seen them. He told me that he's going to have photos soon.

That guy used to have a Marvel Silver Age collection where the Dealers would pick up their phones and call him every now and then.

Jon Allen used to work at Heritage and cold-called him over CGC items.

He's slowly sold stuff over the past ten years or so, as he's getting back into Coins, his first foray into Collecting.

He said something about the Coinees are more reasonable, well, you get it. More "coin" to be made in Coins anyway( pun intended). You guys can talk to that man yourselves, who am I to speak for him?

He's very reasonable until you shove him. He was born in Baltimore, MD and did not have the best of childhoods; when he gets pushed around that

Baltimore City Bad Boy comes out and that is not a sight to behold.

Back to IMSM, it has been proven more than once here on this Forum that the higher grade copies are the hardest to get out of the three( IM, SM , IMSM). There were production issues with that "One-Shot".

Certain acceptable details such as the common chipping on the upper left back cover, and the green, sometimes blue-green excess distributor's ink on the first page, lower right margin.

The advertisement on the front inner cover has heavy, thick impressed "lines" from that ad that are easily seen from the front cover side, and I can tell if any copy has been pressed because of that ONE detail.

But enough for now.

IMSM is the greatest One-Shot, and that guy just liked that issue. He's told that story time and time again as to WHY he set out to do this with IMSM.

maybe I can get him to tell it sometime soon.

CAL who knows certain people....:devil:

13 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Nonetheless, Cal's data on the relative pricing of the three books in the historic succession of Overstreet past guides is faulty at best. Sub 1 and IMSM 1 are priced within a dollar or two of each other in successive Overstreets

36 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Oh, you think the OPG is still relevant. There's your mistake.

It still seems relevant in terms of all of the other information available in the book, it is more than just a list of "values". I was looking for any special notations related to the series.

36 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Nonetheless, Cal's data on the relative pricing of the three books in the historic succession of Overstreet past guides is faulty at best. Sub 1 and IMSM 1 are priced within a dollar or two of each other in successive Overstreets

Cal reminds me of the insanity of Dr Gene Scott and that of Scott's rabid followers. That's all. Every time he post, Dr. Gene Scott's unhinged late night UHF television appearances is all I can think of. They are that similar to me

Like I said somewhere around here, I've got a raw IMSM around a 6.0. It's a cool cover, cool story. That's about my interest in it. 

EDIT: - Mind you that YouTube clip of Dr. Gene Scott is from the brilliant Wernner Herzog documentary God's Angry Man

Edited by NoMan