• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crazy Run up on price than crash and burn. And I mean BURN!
3 3

339 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

The greatest velocity of rise and fall I've seen was Captain America # 25.

The book went from selling for cover price ($2.95) to selling for as high as $60 within 36 hours of release.

As in, sets of 50 copies sold for $2,000 on eBay within two days of release.

But by the following week it had settled back down to $10-12 online -- and I later picked up a few copies for cover price from a LCS when their re-orders came in.

It was so crazy that folks who set 3-day auctions on eBay won out, while those who set 7- or 10-day auctions left a lot of money on the table.

This was the first mainstream craziness I'd seen for a modern book in the eBay era. And worthy of comparing to other similar books from a generation earlier (Superman 75, Alpha Flight 106), which stayed at higher prices far longer because eBay and other online sales venues didn't exist at the time.

What was so special about that book that drove the craziness?

14 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I never found Harbinger # 1 for less than $8.

However, I did find NM copies of Magnus 1 and 12 in $1 boxes (Bethesda, MD), and god bless Capital City Comics (Madisons, WI). Summer 2004 -- picked up Magnus 0 (w/ card), Armorines 0 gold, Unity O red, Harbinger 0 pink and Hard CORPS 1 gold and more for $4 apiece. That store was amazing.

I don't think isolated examples like this, and even what Donut is referring to are what we're referring to here.  I think we need to include criteria such as; an informed seller, an informed buyer, and a sufficient number of market participants to reach a consensus in price.  About a year ago I found 5 copies of SSM 64 in a box at an antique store, clearly that was an inefficiency in the market and not representative of fair market value.

Oh and for my contribution to the thread....audit a random Image published title from 2012-2016 and you'll be able to find a good example.  The sentiment here on the boards during some of this time was  overwhelming positive how Image was crushing the other companies and couldn't miss with many of their titles...wasn't there a guy that made a huge bulk purchase of Manifest Destiny at $100 book or something crazy?  Outcast was a big one too, I managed to sell a few issues of number 1 at $50 knowing the print run was sky high and it would come crashing down....

Edited by spreads

9 minutes ago, spreads said:

Ahahah this picture is wrong in so many ways.

I was puzzled by his posting it as a response. I assumed there was some type of connection; a rationale maybe on a level deep enough to have somehow escaped me. Until I read another one of his disjointed responses about liking Cadbury Crème eggs. Then I realized that his posts might be as confusing to him as they are to me!  :idea:

36 minutes ago, WoWitHurts said:

What was so special about that book that drove the craziness?

The temporary 'death' of Steve Rogers.

I'm sure I read about someone paying several hundred dollars for a copy on eBay, the day the book was released.  hm

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I actually think it has been the opposite. It has been a blessing that this hobby has been put on the mainstream map because of Hollywood.

Imagine if they didn't have these movies and tv shows? The comic book keys/semi keys have stayed relevant because of all the Hollywood excitement.

Having Hollywood back your hobby is a huge plus not to be taken for granted.

Sportscards with rookie cards are also another hobby still relevant because of new big sporting events every week on TV. TV introduces the comic book heroes and sports superstars to millions of potential new customers and fans.

Most of other hobbies are dying or dead because they have no modern tv or movie exposure. Their old audiences have died with no new modern ways to get new audiences introduced to their hobbies. Stamps? Lionel Trains? lol.

Comic book characters actually caught a break when Kevin Feige took them to a new modern level.

:preach:

I can't help but agree with this. I just find the films themselves sooooooo bad.

31 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I was puzzled by his posting it as a response. I assumed there was some type of connection; a rationale maybe on a level deep enough to have somehow escaped me. Until I read another one of his disjointed responses about liking Cadbury Crème eggs. Then I realized that his posts might be as confusing to him as they are to me!  :idea:

lol

You have so much to learn about this place, newb.

Your attention to detail needs a tremendous amount of work. Tremendous amount.

(thumbsu

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

I wrote: IMSM 1, Sub 1, IM 1 all never ballooned then crashed and burned. All three are still solid hobby staples. I don't even know how discussion of those 3 issues made it as a major part of a thread on books that ran up, then crashed and burned! 

You responded with a picture of a child sitting on Spider-Man's lap being comforted. I'm curious as to its relevance to my post. Is there a relevance that I'm failing to grasp? I don't want to miss yet another point like I did Cal's, in my child-like ignorance. ???

you-still-have-much-to-learn-young-padaw

2 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

Who is talking about HOS 92? This is what you said:

"There is not one instance in comic book history of a book that performed as high, lasted as long, then crashed as bad as the above hypothetical"

Harbinger 1 was a $200 book in 1992. It was a quarter book in 2002.

Magnus 0 with card was a $200 book in 1992 - it was worthless in 2002.

I can go on.

Feature Book 26 was the most valuable comic listed in the first Overstreet Price Guide. You can't sell it now.

Demand is cyclical. 

HOS 92 dropping to the point that it only sells for $5-10 in HG is "the above hypothetical" he was referencing. He's right (for once).

Just now, Lazyboy said:

HOS 92 dropping to the point that it only sells for $5-10 in HG is "the above hypothetical" he was referencing. He's right (for once).

Specifically HoS 92? No. That is correct, it never dropped.

Many other books - unlike his post - have "performed as high, lasted as long, then crashed as bad as the above hypothetical"

15 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I can't help but agree with this. I just find the films themselves sooooooo bad.

I find the Marvel Cinematic Universe is why I am still even interested in the comic book scene.

Avengers Infinity War and the Black Panther movies are why I am still interested in what happens with these characters and keep coming back.

Imagine if there were no comic book movies at all and the comic book hobby was relying on $4.99 monthly comics to keep the hobby relevant? That would in fact be sad.

17 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

lol

You have so much to learn about this place, newb.

Your attention to detail needs a tremendous amount of work. Tremendous amount.

(thumbsu

Not that important to me. You win. I already declared you the winner. Want reaffirmation? You  Win. Everything I post is incorrect, and everything you post is correct. Can we makeit any plainer than that? Must all my posts now declare your superiority? Is that what I missed about this place? If so, guess when the next time I post will be.

13 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Not that important to me. You win. I already declared you the winner. Want reaffirmation? You  Win. Everything I post is incorrect, and everything you post is correct. Can we makeit any plainer than that? Must all my posts now declare your superiority? Is that what I missed about this place? If so, guess when the next time I post will be.

Awwww....I have my own little stray newb. Super cute. :cloud9:

303513-Stray-Puppy-0.jpg

\

11 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

303513-Stray-Puppy-0.jpg

\

And I have my very own troll. My own personal clown, with delusions of grandeur, who follows me wherever I go, trying in vain to establish credibility in moot points! Comical.  :roflmao:

Edited by James J Johnson

7 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:
15 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

303513-Stray-Puppy-0.jpg

\

And I have my very own troll. My own personal clown, with delusions of grandeur, who follows me wherever I go, trying in vain to establish credibility in moot points! Comical.  :roflmao:

So adorbs. :cloud9:

A-gray-kitten-meowing.jpg

4 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Specifically HoS 92? No. That is correct, it never dropped.

Many other books - unlike his post - have "performed as high, lasted as long, then crashed as bad as the above hypothetical"

Your definition of "high" and "long" must be different from mine.

25 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Everything I post is incorrect

(shrug) Most of us already know that. You know your posts are public, right? :baiting: