• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crazy Run up on price than crash and burn. And I mean BURN!
3 3

339 posts in this topic

Just now, Lazyboy said:
36 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Everything I post is incorrect

(shrug) Most of us already know that. You know your posts are public, right? :baiting:

Just change "IM #1" to "Sub-Mariner #1", and pretend no one can see previous posts....or read...or think critically...or...well, you know...

50 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I find the Marvel Cinematic Universe is why I am still even interested in the comic book scene.

Avengers Infinity War and the Black Panther movies are why I am still interested in what happens with these characters and keep coming back.

Imagine if there were no comic book movies at all and the comic book hobby was relying on $4.99 monthly comics to keep the hobby relevant? That would in fact be sad.

Agreed.

However, I find all the superhero movies tedious.  Watching them is like watching my nephew play video games. Than why do you watch them some may ask? Because after the machine gets everyone that wants to buy a ticket to see the movie they proceed to cram the movies down everyone's throat  that didn't want to see the movie. For free. It becomes impossible to turn away. I've been forced to watch these movies on airplanes, on monitors in line at Tagret and on monitors atop the gas station gas pump. 

The only solution is to rip your eyes out and than proceed to rip your ear drums out which have often thought of doing just to get away. 

Edited by NoMan

9 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Just change "IM #1" to "Sub-Mariner #1", and pretend no one can see previous posts....or read...or think critically...or...well, you know...

I'll start a thread about the relative values of the three books over the past 35 years using Overstreet and GP data. None of it will be my opinion or my data. When you show up to troll me, simply refute 35 years of Overstreet and 15 years of GP data. I'm sure you will. You're a troll. Nothing more. And not a very good one. I've got things to do. You carry on, and carry on, and carry on, Miss.  I must say, in your own way, you are amusing. But not "amusing" as intended, I suspect! :applause: 

Edited by James J Johnson

I sure didn't mean to cause a fuss by creating this thread. Enough fussing around here. I was just bored out of my head at LAX at 2am waiting for a 6am flight and I couldn't concentrate in reading a book because of all the piped in noise and, well, there was an Avengers movie on the monitors. 

Just now, NoMan said:

I sure didn't mean to cause a fuss by creating this thread. Enough fussing around here. I was just bored out of my head at LAX at 2am waiting for a 6am flight and I couldn't concentrate in reading a book because of all the piped in noise and, well, there was an Avengers movie on the monitors. 

Well, you're not bored now! I still can't understand how a thread on comics that soared, then crashed and burned has anything to do with IMSM 1 Sub 1 IM 1, and RockMyAmadeus' incessant, trolling assertions that he's so much smarter than I am, assertions that I've yet to see proven despite his non-empirical insistence on the matter.

3 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Well, you're not bored now! I still can't understand how a thread on comics that soared, then crashed and burned has anything to do with IMSM 1 Sub 1 IM 1, and RockMyAmadeus' incessant, trolling assertions that he's so much smarter than I am, assertions that I've yet to see proven despite his non-empirical insistence on the matter.

if i track it down here in this thread, and I could be wrong (I did it late last night) , Cal quoted you about IMSM 1 HERE from some OTHER thread about if a house fire was real or not. Did you speak of IMSM 1 on a thread about the realities of a house fire?

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

Well, you're not bored now! I still can't understand how a thread on comics that soared, then crashed and burned has anything to do with IMSM 1 Sub 1 IM 1

All references to IMSM 1 go back many, many years on this particular board.  It doesn't matter what the topic was about, any topic that mentions IMSM 1 becomes at least halt about IMSM 1 from that point forward.  No one is really at fault... let's just blame "board baggage". :foryou:

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

All references to IMSM 1 go back many, many years on this particular board.  It doesn't matter what the topic was about, any topic that mentions IMSM 1 becomes at least halt about IMSM 1 from that point forward.  No one is really at fault... let's just blame "board baggage". :foryou:

Board baggage! I like that. There should be a gremlin with an emoticon dragging a large trunk or suitcase! Can we get one of those. It'd be perfect.  ^^

18 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

2003 - The "pay copy" of Marvel Comics 1 sells to Jay Parino in private transaction for $350,000

2007 - The "pay copy" of Marvel Comics 1 sells for $204,999 on Heritage ("OUCH!")

2010 - The "pay copy" of Marvel Comics 1 sells for $227,050 on Heritage (A mere "ouch" when fees taken into account)

And then there's the Edgar Church copies of Flash Comics ...

I thought the "crash and burn" topic was pretty interesting.  I'm more than a little shocked that in a thread on that topic a couple of insufficiently_thoughtful_persons would rather argue about IMSM 1 and SM 1, than ponder an epic "crash and burn" like the above. 

3 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I thought the "crash and burn" topic was pretty interesting.  I'm more than a little shocked that in a thread on that topic a couple of insufficiently_thoughtful_persons would rather argue about IMSM 1 and SM 1, than ponder an epic "crash and burn" like the above. 

My personal belief here: The epic "crash and burn" you mention is entirely to scary for a lot of people. Thus nobody wants to discuss it.  It's scary to me. 

Forgot if this was mentioned pages back, but Green Lantern 76 in CGC 9.6.

From what I believe is a record-high (for a 9.6 Bronze book) GPA price of $30,500 in June 2009 to the last listed sale price of $5,856 in Aug. 2017.

Yeah -- it was a "scarce-in-high-grade no-9.8s-then-on-the-census" deal but it's still more than an 80% loss on a high-grade Bronze key in less than 10 years.

Edited by Gatsby77

11 minutes ago, NoMan said:

My personal belief here: The epic "crash and burn" you mention is entirely to scary for a lot of people. Thus nobody wants to discuss it.  It's scary to me. 

Parino's losses on the "pay copy" MC 1 and the Church Flash Comics 1 seem to be written off by many as just his mistake and illustration of the perils of overpaying in private transactions.

The scarier scenario for many, IMHO, is actually the example of the Church run of Flash Comics.  That was not Parino.  And those books were bought at auction, I think, then sold at auction for a lot less.  And a very similar scenario has happened with high grade Barks Duck books.  The lesson of those examples is that auction prices can plummet if just one strong bidder exits the market without someone having come into the market to take his place. 

Folks that think that high grade GA comics will inevitably increase in value are not paying attention to the market history. 

9 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Forgot if this was mentioned pages back, but Green Lantern 76 in CGC 9.6.

From what I believe is a record-high (for a 9.6 Bronze book) GPA price of $30,500 in June 2009 to the last listed sale price of $5,856 in Aug. 2017.

Yeah -- it was a "scarce-in-high-grade no-9.8s-then-on-the-census" deal but it's still more than an 80% loss on a high-grade Bronze key in less than 10 years.

You know what's even more starting and dramatically overlooked in those time periods - June 2009 was just a few months when the equity markets and the credit markets were in TOTAL DISTRESS.  I mean, to take 30K and put it in a comic book, instead of any STOCK (or real-estate in most markets) is even more starting.  It would be considerably different if someone bought a book in 2006 and 2007 and sold in 2009, but to buy right after the global meltdown and then sell for a huge loss after a 10 year period - where EVERY ASSET CLASS had a huge run-up - is even more ridiculous.

On a side note, I'm waiting for the Werewolf by Night 32 bubble to burst.

Don't get me wrong, I love the book (and the title itself).

But its run-up over the past few years has been based solely on speculation that a) Netflix or Marvel will eventually feature him and b) that feature will be good.

Don't disagree with a, but b is suspect.

If a solo Moon Knight Netflix series is as poorly executed as Iron Fist or Defenders, look for it drop like a stone.

It also cracks me up that it now looks like we'll see a Morbius project before a Moon Knight one.

2 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

The greatest velocity of rise and fall I've seen was Captain America # 25.

The book went from selling for cover price ($2.95) to selling for as high as $60 within 36 hours of release.

As in, sets of 50 copies sold for $2,000 on eBay within two days of release.

But by the following week it had settled back down to $10-12 online -- and I later picked up a few copies for cover price from a LCS when their re-orders came in.

It was so crazy that folks who set 3-day auctions on eBay won out, while those who set 7- or 10-day auctions left a lot of money on the table.

This was the first mainstream craziness I'd seen for a modern book in the eBay era. And worthy of comparing to other similar books from a generation earlier (Superman 75, Alpha Flight 106), which stayed at higher prices far longer because eBay and other online sales venues didn't exist at the time.

Or maybe because the publishers hadn't printed a billion extra copies that they knew would sell through reorders after everybody realized that the issue was the real payoff for the big event.

6 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Or maybe because the publishers hadn't printed a billion extra copies that they knew would sell through reorders after everybody realized that the issue was the real payoff for the big event.

Not sure about that. Superman # 75 had a reported print run of 4 million copies and was the best-selling book of the year.

First month orders for Captain America # 25 were just under 300,000 copies (far far rarer), and yet demand was largely satisfied within a month due to the magic of internet distribution.

8 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

Who is talking about HOS 92? This is what you said:

"There is not one instance in comic book history of a book that performed as high, lasted as long, then crashed as bad as the above hypothetical"

Harbinger 1 was a $200 book in 1992. It was a quarter book in 2002.

Magnus 0 with card was a $200 book in 1992 - it was worthless in 2002.

I can go on.

Feature Book 26 was the most valuable comic listed in the first Overstreet Price Guide. You can't sell it now.

Demand is cyclical. 

I love ya

did you read what the op wrote?

my reply was to "the above hypothetical" 

HOS 92

On 5/24/2018 at 8:41 AM, NoMan said:

Bored here at LAX and got to wondering if there was ever a book that just shot to the heavens and then crashed BIG TIME!

Like if HOS 92 suddenly took a huge hit and was now selling for 5 or 10 dollars in HG. 

Inquiring bored minds want to know!

@FlyingDonut

heres the topic of this thread in case anyone is wondering