• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books that money CAN'T buy...
4 4

77 posts in this topic

Across all the ages of comics, there are generally two types of comics:

1) Comics that are cheap and everywhere (Adventures of Superman #500 - 1993)

2) Comics that are hard to find, but money will make them appear (Superman #1 - 1939)

... but there are also comics, both cheap and expensive, which can't be bought because they just aren't for sale anywhere.

For example, this comic isn't for sale anywhere:

ironmanxo_video.jpg

It really doesn't matter what it's worth (cheap or expensive), because there isn't one for sale anywhere publicly, and there isn't anyone who knows of one that can be purchased privately either.

I'm also thinking of books like issues from Centaur Publications (1930s) which might not be the most valuable Golden Age books, but even a high offer won't make copies appear.

Let's talk about (or see) books that money CAN'T buy...

Neat Book by Don Reynolds a metaphysical comic book.  I have the only known copy.

3 minutes ago, kav said:

Neat Book by Don Reynolds a metaphysical comic book.  I have the only known copy.

What else can you tell us?  Self-published?  Publisher?  Distribution?  I guess we could fill pages on this topic with "I made it myself" books, but I was going for books that should be somewhere... but aren't. :grin:

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

What else can you tell us?  Self-published?  Publisher?  Distribution?  I guess we could fill pages on this topic with "I made it myself" books, but I was going for books that should be somewhere... but aren't. :grin:

yeah self published.  Ok it doesnt count.

Green Giant #1 maybe?

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

because there isn't one for sale anywhere publicly, and there isn't anyone who knows of one that can be purchased privately either.

You visited every public retail location that has even a single comic for sale and talked to every person in the world? Damn, that's impressive! :baiting:

The mini-comic shown in this ad does exist (Ian Levine has one, I think), but good luck buying his, or finding another...

[CORRECTION: Should have done a quick board search first -- at least two boardies own a copy, and another was offered on eBay earlier this year.]  :sorry:

warlord-mini.jpg.d5e91d481001e98d0b68993b46e91889.jpg

Edited by jools&jim

I see this as more of an inability to find owners of the books or inform owners of the demand for their books.  

I can also see that there may be cases where owners don't realize they own the book that is being sought and/or are too busy/lazy to dig through their massive stock to check.

if a book did once exist but is so obscure and rare that any trace or record of it has been lost to time.

So what we really need is a solution that allows you to broadcast your interest to EVERYONE globally.

on the otherhand. does anyone know someone who refuses to sell for ANY amount of money?

1 hour ago, jools&jim said:

The mini-comic shown in this ad does exist (Ian Levine has one, I think), but good luck buying his, or finding another...

[CORRECTION: Should have done a quick board search first -- at least two boardies own a copy, and another was offered on eBay earlier this year.]  :sorry:

warlord-mini.jpg.d5e91d481001e98d0b68993b46e91889.jpg

I have one

1 hour ago, Foley said:

The dentist would probably fall into that category I'd imagine.

But does the dentist own any comics that simply cannot be purchased anywhere else?  I'm not talking about the top condition of a book, those are all unique... I'm talking about the comic... any copy... can't be located.

16 minutes ago, valiantman said:

But does the dentist own any comics that simply cannot be purchased anywhere else?  I'm not talking about the top condition of a book, those are all unique... I'm talking about the comic... any copy... can't be located.

Does he own a copy of Motion Picture Funnies Weekly? 

First Namor?

The book is Uber rare.

Not a comic but I know a guy who has been searching for the 7 foot robot plans from the comic book ad for 35 years.  Has not even caught a whiff of it.  It makes Action #1 look like 90s drek.

4 hours ago, kav said:

Not a comic but I know a guy who has been searching for the 7 foot robot plans from the comic book ad for 35 years.  Has not even caught a whiff of it.  It makes Action #1 look like 90s drek.

Tell him to publicly offer a million for a copy, and he will find six.    It’s not the sexy answer, but anything that exists generally has an owner that can be persuaded 

3 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Tell him to publicly offer a million for a copy, and he will find six.    It’s not the sexy answer, but anything that exists generally has an owner that can be persuaded 

If you google the robot plans you'll see he has been posting about looking for it everywhere and making no secret it's worth a lot to him no one has ever contacted him.

He'll even take a photocopy he doesnt need the original-nothing.