• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books that money CAN'T buy...
4 4

77 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Bronty said:

Tell him to publicly offer a million for a copy, and he will find six.    It’s not the sexy answer, but anything that exists generally has an owner that can be persuaded 

A sage original comic art collector once told me "Everything's for sale - everything's for trade."  Translation?  Pony up enough and it's yours.  Extrapolated translation = Pony up enough and it will come out of the woodwork.

Edited by pemart1966

1 minute ago, pemart1966 said:

A sage original comic art collector once told me "Everything's for sale - everything's for trade."  Translation?  Pony up enough and it's yours.  Extraolated translation = Pony up enough and it will come out of the woodwork.

If that was true someone would have contacted him and said I have the plans and started the negotiations.  They are worth nothing to anyone else.  He's basically the only guy looking for them.  

5 minutes ago, kav said:

If that was true someone would have contacted him and said I have the plans and started the negotiations.  They are worth nothing to anyone else.  He's basically the only guy looking for them.  

Nooooo.... big difference between saying you’re looking for something and publicly posting a massive amount of money.     I ignore WTBs for stuff I have regularly .    However if someone shows me they are dead $$erious it’s theirs.    Most people posting WTBs aren’t really offering significantly more than FMV.   Hence, ignored

Edited by Bronty

1 minute ago, wolverine180 said:

Is this it @kav? I am just curious if this is what he wants plans for?

382e9dcae405fb099af78ad2039155d2--cool-stuff-werewolves.jpg

He's the largest collector of novelties in the world.  The book Mail Order Mysteries featured his collection.  He has the only Polaris Sub and 7 foot ghost.  He has every item from the Johnson Smith catalogue.  The one thing he never ordered as a kid from a comic book was the 7 foot robot plans-and to this day it's like trying to reclaim something lost from his childhood-a very powerful urge.  He tracked down the original company and visited their defunct warehouse.  He has met and spoken to many of the original novelty company owners, honor house, etc.  If the plans were out there, he would have them.  There has never been a single whiff of their existence-anywhere.  He could offer a billion dollars but if they dont exist, they dont exist.

13 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Nooooo.... big difference between saying you’re looking for something and publicly posting a massive amount of money.     I ignore WTBs for stuff I have regularly .    However if someone shows me they are dead $$erious it’s theirs

But if you saw publicly that someone had been looking for something basically worthless to anyone else, for 35 years all over the internet and you had it-you cannot tell me you would not contact him.

5 minutes ago, kav said:

But if you saw publicly that someone had been looking for something basically worthless to anyone else, for 35 years all over the internet and you had it-you cannot tell me you would not contact him.

Yes I can.    Because if I’ve had them that long I like them too.

Theres also an excellent chance I’ve never heard of the offer.   But a million bucks gets it on the news, an owner hears about it, voila

Edited by Bronty

3 minutes ago, wolverine180 said:

That seems like an insane task. Yet he is so close. I wish him the best and hope he fulfills it

I have done my best to try to find them for him and spent a considerable amount of time-I would love to see him reach his goal.  I did find someone who said they used to have them-thats as close as I got.  This is a really nice guy too he deserves them plans!!

3 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Yes I can.    Because if I’ve had them that long I like them too

Lots of people have stuff for a long time that they take to the dump.  This is not necessarily true.

5 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Yes I can.    Because if I’ve had them that long I like them too

Plus you can keep them-he will pay big even for a photocopy.  No loss to you only gain.

Fair enough about the dump.    Point is though, if someone is trying to buy something like this, cash can counteract the inertia and apathy that might otherwise be there

Edited by Bronty

2 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Fair enough about the dump.    Point is though, if someone is trying to buy something like this, cash can counteract the inertia and apathy that might otherwise be there

True.  If it was like some story on CNN or something that a million was offered-I agree that they might come out of the woodwork.  

2 minutes ago, kav said:

Plus you can keep them-he will pay big even for a photocopy.  No loss to you only gain.

That might help but it also might not change things.   I’m thinking of a boardie with a house full of stuff and a 10000 sq ft warehouse full of stuff.    Many things he knows he owns he doesn’t know where they are.    Even if he hears of this offer and is offered, what , a grand or two for a photocopy, he’s not looking for it, too much hassle.    Offer him a mil though and he’s putting on the miners cap and digging

Just now, kav said:

True.  If it was like some story on CNN or something that a million was offered-I agree that they might come out of the woodwork.  

Yeah I hear that.   Don’t get me wrong I am sure it’s very rare.   But cash brings stuff out of the woodwork like nothing else does

I have literally hundreds of self published mini comics that I don't think there's a way I'd ever be able to find another copy of, you can't even find any evidence of their existence at all outside of having a copy. There's quite a few foreign comics I have seen pictures of or heard about that I have had on my want list for 25 years that I know I will never ever see for sale or at all.

Ps the plans on ebay those arent the plans he is looking for-there were actually two different robot plans sold by two different companies.

Edited by kav

:popcorn: 

6 hours ago, kav said:

If you google the robot plans you'll see he has been posting about looking for it everywhere and making no secret it's worth a lot to him no one has ever contacted him.

Did he try the CGC forum? (I googled a bit but didn't find a hit with these forums).

Edit:

I just came across your WTB thread for this item from 2016 (5 posts; no result). What about starting threads in the Silver Age Forum and in the Golden Age Forum (this seems to be a matter of being uber-well connected) ...

Edited by Pickie

Sad Sack Armed Forces Complimentary #12.

Nobody can even verify that this book ever existed, although it is listed on certain sites nobody to this point has even been able to produce/locate a picture of the cover.

If you look at this link showing the covers of all 40 (39) Sad Sad Complimentary issues they skipped #12.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/sad-sack-comics/4050-33904/

3 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

Sad Sack Armed Forces Complimentary #12.

Nobody can even verify that this book ever existed, although it is listed on certain sites nobody to this point has even been able to produce/locate a picture of the cover.

If you look at this link showing the covers of all 40 (39) Sad Sad Complimentary issues they skipped #12.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/sad-sack-comics/4050-33904/

True......until recently. However, a picture surfaced on Facebook a few months ago. The image was then uploaded to comics.org
I'd post the link but I can't access that site right now 

Edited by Jerkfro