• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books that money CAN'T buy...
4 4

77 posts in this topic

This one would be tough to find: It's an Australian edition copy of Headline Comics featuring Classic film icon James Cagney in full gangster mode (role he was famous for at the height of his career). Having infamous FBI chief J. Edgar Hoover on the cover 'looking' at Cagney only sweetens the pot :luhv:

Headline Comics (Australian Ed.) #5.jpg

11 hours ago, wolverine180 said:

That seems like an insane task. Yet he is so close. I wish him the best and hope he fulfills it

It's actually getting harder as any potential owners could die, throw it out or lose it in something like a flood, fire, theft etc. Each passing day makes it harder. Especially for something this insanely rare.

Don't tell him that though :shy:

This thread got me thinking, what about condition. Say something like Detective Comics 27 in 9.6-9.8?

If there was someone out there who put the word and was looking for such a copy, offered some insane amount like 5 million plus. How many people would come out of the woodworks with the best they got?

More realistically what amount would it take for the dentist's copy to surface? 

Or the Mile high Action 1?

1 hour ago, grayzr said:

This thread got me thinking, what about condition. Say something like Detective Comics 27 in 9.6-9.8?

If there was someone out there who put the word and was looking for such a copy, offered some insane amount like 5 million plus. How many people would come out of the woodworks with the best they got?

More realistically what amount would it take for the dentist's copy to surface? 

Or the Mile high Action 1?

I'd be willing to bet he's turned down numerous offers on the Church Action 1 and the Allentown Tec 27. Just my opinion obviously, but highly likely given the fact they're the best known copies and it's common knowledge that he owns them.

As to how much it would take for him to sell? I have no idea, but wouldn't be surprised if he wouldn't sell regardless of price offered. If I were him, presumably not in need financially, I wouldn't either. I'd imagine that after a certain amount, a ton of money is a ton of money, and further additions don't have much bearing.

The OSPG questions whether Blue Beetle #43 exists. Anyone got one?

I think there's been other books in the past that had borne the parenthetical "exist?" Designation until they turned up. An issue of Babe sticks in my head for some reason, maybe #5? At any rate, the guide does not currently question the existence of any of the issues of that series, but I seem to remember first seeing that question of existence with that book/title.

Any others currently like that in the OSPG besides BB 43?

2 minutes ago, Foley said:

I'd be willing to bet he's turned down numerous offers on the Church Action 1 and the Allentown Tec 27. Just my opinion obviously, but highly likely given the fact they're the best known copies and it's common knowledge that he owns them.

As to how much it would take for him to sell? I have no idea, but wouldn't be surprised if he wouldn't sell regardless of price offered. If I were him, presumably not in need financially, I wouldn't either. I'd imagine that after a certain amount, a ton of money is a ton of money, and further additions don't have much bearing.

I'm sure he did well as a dentist but really he's that rich?

I mean if he is planning on bringing them to the grave then yes no amount of money if he's financially secure will do the trick.

16 hours ago, kav said:
16 hours ago, wolverine180 said:

That seems like an insane task. Yet he is so close. I wish him the best and hope he fulfills it

I have done my best to try to find them for him and spent a considerable amount of time-I would love to see him reach his goal.  I did find someone who said they used to have them-thats as close as I got.  This is a really nice guy too he deserves them plans!!

little did Kav realize that those plans were the last item needed to complete Skynet - and change the world as we know it.

2 hours ago, grayzr said:

I'm sure he did well as a dentist but really he's that rich?

I mean if he is planning on bringing them to the grave then yes no amount of money if he's financially secure will do the trick.

I think that’s missing the point.    Say he has some emergency and  needs or wants 5m.    He can sell other mint golden age from his collection  to raise the money without touching the very best books at all.   For him to sell the very best, he’d have to have some kind of 8 figure emergency.    I don’t know Jack about his collection.    But I’ve heard he has MH action 1-23.   Even if that was his whole collection (it’s obviously just the top of the iceberg), he could raise a lot of money just selling 11-23 and keeping 1-10.    He’s just never going to need to sell his very best books because there are so many good books that could be sold first

Edited by Bronty

4 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I think that’s missing the point.    Say he has some emergency and  needs or wants 5m.    He can sell other mint golden age from his collection  to raise the money without touching the very best books at all.   For him to sell the very best, he’d have to have some kind of 8 figure emergency

fantasy-island-70s.jpg?ver=1

True-- He might need to buy an expensive plane.

Hey-- how about those robot plans for de plane?

I could be wrong about the rarity of this one, but I never have seen another copy of Miracle Comics #3 for sale since I bought mine like 25 years ago. I have seen the other three issues for sale many times, but I don't think I ever have seen this one outside of my copy and all the photos of it online are from microfiche.

IMG_20180406_0001.thumb.jpg.ae089b226a52b0292c1b97c0221abe68.jpg

1 minute ago, catman76 said:

I could be wrong about the rarity of this one, but I never have seen another copy of Miracle Comics #3 for sale since I bought mine like 25 years ago. I have seen the other three issues for sale many times, but I don't think I ever have seen this one outside of my copy and all the photos of it online are from microfiche.

IMG_20180406_0001.thumb.jpg.ae089b226a52b0292c1b97c0221abe68.jpg

ahhh- but is it for sale?

20 hours ago, Bronty said:

I don’t think there’s any comic that can’t be found if you put a big enough offer out.    

This approach hasn't worked for me.

As one of the guys I hired to help said, "If it's not out there, it's not out there."