• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detached Staple/Grading Issue...

4 posts in this topic

Quick question for you guys. I just got a Daredevil 1 back and in the grading notes it says detached bottom staple at cover. I don't really remember this being the case. Also had the same issue happen to my ASM50 a few months back. Now I'm just wondering if either it's something I missed, if they were rough with the books on their end, or if what CGC considers "detached" is different from me. I'd assume that for the book to be detached from the bottom staple, nothing would be holding it place whatsoever. It'd be hanging completely freely, correct? Or if it's only hanging on by a small piece, is that also considered detached?

Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

3 hours ago, newavengers1 said:

Quick question for you guys. I just got a Daredevil 1 back and in the grading notes it says detached bottom staple at cover. I don't really remember this being the case. Also had the same issue happen to my ASM50 a few months back. Now I'm just wondering if either it's something I missed, if they were rough with the books on their end, or if what CGC considers "detached" is different from me. I'd assume that for the book to be detached from the bottom staple, nothing would be holding it place whatsoever. It'd be hanging completely freely, correct? Or if it's only hanging on by a small piece, is that also considered detached?

Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

First question, did you get it pressed first ? If so, I wouldn't blame CGC's handling of the book. A staple can be detached from the front cover but still attached to the back cover, or vice versa. If the staple is completely detached CGC will either hammer the grade or give you a qualified grade. In your case, it sounds lit would remain still remain a Universal grade with a moderate hit to the grade. You can have 9.0's with a situation like yours.

10 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

First question, did you get it pressed first ? If so, I wouldn't blame CGC's handling of the book. A staple can be detached from the front cover but still attached to the back cover, or vice versa. If the staple is completely detached CGC will either hammer the grade or give you a qualified grade. In your case, it sounds lit would remain still remain a Universal grade with a moderate hit to the grade. You can have 9.0's with a situation like yours.

Thanks for getting back. I did get it pressed first, so maybe it's that. The book received a 2.5 universal which definitely seems fair based on its appearance, so I really don't think the detached staple weighed it down which is nice. 

IMG_0860.PNG

3 minutes ago, newavengers1 said:

Thanks for getting back. I did get it pressed first, so maybe it's that. The book received a 2.5 universal which definitely seems fair based on its appearance, so I really don't think the detached staple weighed it down which is nice. 

IMG_0860.PNG

It does look good for the grade.  It also looks a bit fragile which could explain why a press may be the cause but you are correct, it probably didn't make a difference.