• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this look like glue and would it be considered restoration?

11 posts in this topic

I suspect the creases were turning into tears. Hard to tell for sure from this pic but it could very well be glue was applied. What does it look like on the inside of the cover ? Do the creases penetrate to the inside ? If glue, or anything other than spit was applied, yes, that is considered resto.

If there's no bleed-through to the inside cover, it's possible this is not color touch at all, and was the result of a poor press job. If the paper had humidity damage and it wasn't properly prepped before being pressed, the paper will buckle and fold over its self. The recessed upper staple could be a result of this, especially if too much pressure was used.

Better, closer pictures would help to identify the problem.

Edited by Phil the Governor

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:39 PM, Phil the Governor said:

If there's no bleed-through to the inside cover, it's possible this is not color touch at all, and was the result of a poor press job. If the paper had humidity damage and it wasn't properly prepped before being pressed, the paper will buckle and fold over its self. The recessed upper staple could be a result of this, especially if too much pressure was used.

Better, closer pictures would help to identify the problem.

I agree. With no angle and through the mylar, it could be anything. Or nothing. Impossible to venture anything but a guess based on that image.

Look around the staples, it looks like color touch to me. It does not look like damage from a bad press job, but with so many DIYers who knows. 

Crayon may have been used which will give the “look” that glue may also have been applied.

Edited by joeypost

11 hours ago, joeypost said:

Look around the staples, it looks like color touch to me. It does not look like damage from a bad press job, but with so many DIYers who knows. 

Crayon may have been used which will give the “look” that glue may also have been applied.

Could be China-marker too or even colored-pencil. The china marker sometimes is confused with crayon, having a similar, yet strange look.