• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bill Everett thread
9 9

518 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

A nice Everett war cover...

comensadvs14.jpg

Always loved how Everett could draw realistic people and people with exaggerated caricature features. This fellow seems a cross between the two.    

On 3/25/2019 at 10:10 AM, Frisco Larson said:

I can't seem to place which American issue this is!!! It's gotta be Atlas, what with the awesome Everett cover!!! Anyone? A lil help :wishluck:

Misterios Del Gato Negro 57 Everrett cover front.jpg

Is this an unused cover, repurposed for the Mexican market? It looks familiar because it uses the same color scheme and design elements as Marvel Tales 156. It also uses the same (translated) text.

image.png.5b6a2daf56228e522e787d48c43cea49.png

1 minute ago, stock_rotation said:

Is this an unused cover, repurposed for the Mexican market? It looks familiar because it uses the same color scheme and design elements as Marvel Tales 156. It also uses the same (translated) text.

image.png.5b6a2daf56228e522e787d48c43cea49.png

That's exactly what I was thinking but wasn't sure that I didn't miss a similar cover in a different run. The similarities are probably too much to be a coincidence though and you're probably spot on with your assessment. I really love the way Everett draws underwater scenes and the girl & his signature are the icing on the cake! 

I was having a little debate with Richard the other day about the following cover.... both GCD and Atlas Tales attribute it to Burgos, but I'm just not seeing it. It looks more like Everett to me.... so I'm posting a few covers to show what I'm talking about..... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

DSCN7527 (2).JPG

These are other known Everett covers with similar design and rendering....

1063467-astonishing_29.jpg

854127.jpgMen's Adventures #21

Edited by jimjum12

2 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

Thanks Jimbo! I've been picking some of these Mexican Editions up lately, when I see them for reasonable prices. 

I recently shipped one BACK to a boardie in Mexico..... after a 60 year vacation in the USA. It was kind of cool. GOD BLESS...

45 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

I was having a little debate with Richard the other day about the following cover.... both GCD and Atlas Tales attribute it to Burgos, but I'm just not seeing it. It looks more like Everett to me.... so I'm posting a few covers to show what I'm talking about..... GOD BLESS....

DSCN7527 (2).JPG

1063467-astonishing_29.jpg

854127.jpgMen's Adventures #21

I picked up a copy of this one too ;) 

Mystery Tales 18 front Spanish.jpg

3 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

DSCN7527 (2).JPG

Possibly Everett pencils? The mans face and hand look Everetty but the finishing inks don’t. Especially the skulls on the floor don’t look like the way Everett would ink them. 2c

3 hours ago, Jayman said:

Possibly Everett pencils? The mans face and hand look Everetty but the finishing inks don’t. Especially the skulls on the floor don’t look like the way Everett would ink them. 2c

Yeah.  I don't see Burgos, but I see even less Everett.

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:31 PM, buttock said:

Yeah.  I don't see Burgos, but I see even less Everett.

Was it Maimonides who once said, "If they prefer to remain misguided....." GOD BLESS....

On 4/1/2019 at 6:16 AM, jimjum12 said:

DSCN7527 (2).JPG

My first thought was "Brodsky" and atlastales thinks "Brodsky pencils and Burgos inks".

Everett had a tremendous career... did some of the best early GA work, some of the best 1950s work, and some of the best 1960s work.  But when he went back to the Sub-Mariner in 1971-1972 (issues 50-55, 57, etc), ARE YOU KIDDING ME?  When I first saw that work, I couldn't believe it.  It's remarkable.  He clearly put a lot of time and energy into those pages, and was doing far and away the best work of his career.  Just look at the inking on those pages!  Check out the original art pages that the Everett family sold via HA a few years ago. The work he was doing at that time is among the best inking I've ever seen in comics.