• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The title of the series is "Batman: The Dark Knight", NOT "Dark Knight Returns."

13 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Eh, minor quibble.  Everyone calls it DKR.  That’s the universally recognized name.  The Miller books are DKR. 

It's annoying to see "Dark Knight Returns" on #2, #3, and #4 slabs, since "returns" isn't any part of any of the titles of those books....on purpose.

The title of each was a play on the phrase "the dark knight"...as in, "the Dark Knight Falls" and "Hunt the Dark Knight" and "Dark Knight Triumphant."

In fact, without doing a word search, I would imagine the word "returns" is nowhere to be found in any of those three books, anywhere.

Oh well. It's just sloppy.

If it had been "The Dark Knight Comes Back", we wouldn't be calling it DKCB....

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

Probably about 15 or so. I had a full short box and a half of the entire set, all printings, but I've been whittling them down as the market warms up in its cycles. I had a beautiful 9.8 SS signed by Miller and Janson that I sold because, unfortunately, I needed the money. That was in the $350/sig days of 2016. Sigh. I'm incredibly lucky it came back a 9.8. 9.6 would have been cutting it close, and now you'd be under water. 

I'd like to get it back, though. 

Yeah, you’re probably right ( technically).

Sloppy?  Sure.

But does it really matter?  “Miller Dark Knight” and “Dark Knight Returns” are interchangeable.  Same difference.

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

It's annoying to see "Dark Knight Returns" on #2, #3, and #4 slabs, since "returns" isn't any part of any of the titles of those books....on purpose.

The title of each was a play on the phrase "the dark knight"...as in, "the Dark Knight Falls" and "Hunt the Dark Knight" and "Dark Knight Triumphant."

In fact, without doing a word search, I would imagine the word "returns" is nowhere to be found in any of those three books, anywhere.

Oh well. It's just sloppy.

If it had been "The Dark Knight Co(thumbsumes Back", we wouldn't be calling it DKCB....

Doesn't Overstreet also get it wrong? 

On 5/26/2018 at 12:50 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

I know, it's a bit of a quibble, but CGC has had it wrong since the beginning, and they're supposed to go with the indicia, which says this:

IMG_2172.JPG.aedd826d07f1b2505fdbda1b92b

s-l1600.jpg

This is incorrect. 

Not that it matters much, but...it's inaccurate.

I’ve been waiting thirty years for this.

DC titled it that way on the TPB release that came out shortly after the mini -- I remember being baffled by this "Dark Knight" guy, who was clearly some scary, hulking Batman knock-off villain (yeah, I was a noob), and how long he had been absent that he was now "returning"-- so it seems at some point early on they made that the overall title of the series. Still, interesting that the original title was different. Here's another "everything you knew about comics is wrong" moment. That's two in one day :|

Hey, I'm new here.  I joined yesterday to ask about my copy of Dark Knight number 2, and thankfully, it seems like I asked the right guy.

I just wanted to chime in on this thread that this has always driven me nuts too.  Originally the book was simply "The Dark Knight."  On the school yard, when my friend first told me about the book (we were about 9 or so, he was telling me all this unbelievable stuff like "Batman is so big and strong his fingers are like sausages and he kills the Joker and that Alfred dies!") and we always just called it DARK KNIGHT.

When I finally got my copy in paperback about two years later, it was the Warner version, and it did indeed say "Dark Knight Returns" on the cover.  But it'll always just be plain old "Dark Knight" to me cause that's how me and my schoolyard chums used to describe it back in the 80s when it just came out.

Mr. Amadeus...based on this thread and the fact that you used to have boxes full of every print of every issue, I trust your word completely.  Any reason why some copies of number two have the top of his head and ears cut off, and some don't?  Does it make any difference to the value?  I assume it was just a side effect of however they printed it back then, but it does irk me that my copy has more "feet" than "head" showing.  Nobody seems to talk about it.  Any ideas?

8 hours ago, Josh in Japan said:

Mr. Amadeus...based on this thread and the fact that you used to have boxes full of every print of every issue, I trust your word completely. 

Don't trust ANYONE'S word completely. Everyone makes mistakes.

I still have about a short box of all flavors. Waiting for Miller to come down to earth. Probably now. 

As far as the printing issues, no, doesn't affect them at all.