• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Richie Rich
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Are there any Richie Rich books worth any money, other than 1st issues or his 1st appearance? There are so many titles with so many issues, it's hard to even know where to start. They all just seem interchangeable, especially in the Bronze Age. 

Yet I get the sense form looking at ebay sold auctions that people do collect them. A couple in particular had me scratching my head - what seemed to be a random issue in CGC 3.0 with brittle pages - brittle! - sold for $51. That was a Silver Age book, but... yeah. Don't even know where to start when it comes to Richie Rich. 

Any pointers appreciated! 

5 hours ago, Crimebuster said:

Are there any Richie Rich books worth any money, other than 1st issues or his 1st appearance? There are so many titles with so many issues, it's hard to even know where to start. They all just seem interchangeable, especially in the Bronze Age. 

Yet I get the sense form looking at ebay sold auctions that people do collect them. A couple in particular had me scratching my head - what seemed to be a random issue in CGC 3.0 with brittle pages - brittle! - sold for $51. That was a Silver Age book, but... yeah. Don't even know where to start when it comes to Richie Rich. 

Any pointers appreciated! 

With Richie Rich his first issue is the only real key, with later first issues semi-keys at best. However, I think this lack of keys actually steers many Richie Rich collectors toward being completionists (chasing complete runs due to the lack of keys). Some of the early issues are hard to find, though I wouldn't include #37 in that group.

I collect bronze age Harvey adventure covers (from 1974-75) and many of these are hard to find in high grade while others are like warehouse finds with multiple file copies and unopened multi-packs. With these issues the census really is your friend, but I doubt many Richie Rich non-keys hold any real collecting value other than for true fans of the Poor Little Rich Boy.

Not certain how many accept them as keys or semi-keys, but as a pretty huge RR fan, I consider RR 65 (first dollar dog prototype) and I think RR 100 (first Irona the Maid) to stand apart from the rest.  There's a few obscure titles/covers that don't get much love, but I would consider important, like Tastee-Freeze #1 Little Dot, with an early RR appearance.

I would have thought there would be tons of minor keys around first appearances... first Cadbury, first Jackie Jokers, first Super Richie, etc. Is that not the case?

i loved Richie Rich as a kid, and probably have a couple of hundred issues from the 60s, but I can't say I've paid a lot of attention to the prices.

Harvey Hits 3 and 9 from this series (link below) have value.
https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=191441

The early Richie Rich issues (2-10) have some value as well as Millions 1, Dollars & Cents 1, and Success Stories 1. Other than that, not so much
Granted, none of these has the value that RR1 and Little Dot 1 has. 

If I were looking to collect the most valuable RR issues and appearances I would collect the following (in no particular order). 
Little Dot 1-10 (good luck, and even better luck in any grades higher than VG)
Harvey Hits 3 and 9
Richie Rich 1-10 
Tastee Freez 1
3-D Dolly 1
RR Millions 1
RR Success Stories 1
RR Dollars & Cents 1

The various # 1 issues (in high grade) from all the other spinoff series in the 70s would be fun to collect as well and would be the most valuable issue from each of those series.

Edited by Jerkfro

On 5/28/2018 at 4:02 PM, Crimebuster said:

Yet I get the sense form looking at ebay sold auctions that people do collect them. A couple in particular had me scratching my head - what seemed to be a random issue in CGC 3.0 with brittle pages - brittle! - sold for $51

Someone has way too much disposable income on their hands. lol He/she really wanted that book.

Edited by Jerkfro

On RR, the appeal for most collectors is nostalgia, but the obstacle is rarity.

For example, there are NO copies of Richie Rich #1 in 9.8 - and only 3 rated 9.6.

While this was 1960,  1974 was no better, as there are NO copies of Richie Rich Gems #1 in 9.8. 4 copies exist in 9.6.

This disparity is prevalent across not just the RR titles, but Harvey (eg. Casper, Hot Stuff, Little Dot, Wendy) as a whole.