• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kirby /Anderson question?

8 posts in this topic

So I've got this Kirby Jimmy Olsen page going up for auction today (5/29) on Comic Link and I'm thinking that,with the New Gods movie coming out ,these Kirby Fourth World pages are probably a good buy for somebody, but I was wondering about the Murphy Anderson inks. Jimmy's face was inked by Murphy to seem more in the DC style and I was wondering if that makes the page more valuable or less valuable in a collector's opinion. On the plus side it is the legendary Murphy Anderson and most feel that he is a better inker than Colletta and he gives Olsen the "Classic" DC look but on the down side he is messing with the "Kings" work.

What do you guys think? There are other Kirby pages out there "corrected " by Anderson .Is that a plus or a minus in terms of $ value?

You can see the Clink listing here:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FALLSUB.ASP%3FFocused%3D1%26id%3D1398%26Artist%3DJACK%20KIRBY%23Item_1244796&id=1244796&itemType=1

RADF19A62018320_11552.thumb.jpg.5606d47afc23beb8882d40e1cd72c5a8.jpg

Personally, I like the page. 

Taken as a whole, and after seeing hundreds of Anderson inked pages over the years, this is a really restrained ink job that preserves all of the kirby feel.

Anderson was known as an overpowering inker. No matter who he inked it would look like Anderson when he was done. This page isn't like that. It's unmistakably Kirby. The Olsen face doesn't bother me.

In fact, and thinking about the credits for the page, it's the one thing that confirms Anderson's involvement and it does so without harming any Kirby aesthetics. 

It wouldn't negatively impact the price for me. 

1 hour ago, comix4fun said:

Personally, I like the page. 

Taken as a whole, and after seeing hundreds of Anderson inked pages over the years, this is a really restrained ink job that preserves all of the kirby feel.

Anderson was known as an overpowering inker. No matter who he inked it would look like Anderson when he was done. This page isn't like that. It's unmistakably Kirby. The Olsen face doesn't bother me.

In fact, and thinking about the credits for the page, it's the one thing that confirms Anderson's involvement and it does so without harming any Kirby aesthetics. 

It wouldn't negatively impact the price for me. 

Those are Colletta inks. Murphy Anderson only did Jimmy’s face to keep it “on model” with DC’s preferences.

Just now, Pontoon said:

Those are Colletta inks. Murphy Anderson only did Jimmy’s face to keep it “on model” with DC’s preferences.

That explains why none of the rest of the inks look like Anderson then. lol 

I was wondering if Murphy had a sudden epiphany of restraint in inking style when I saw it. 

10 minutes ago, comix4fun said:
13 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

That explains why none of the rest of the inks look like Anderson then. lol 

I was wondering if Murphy had a sudden epiphany of restraint in inking style when I saw it. 

Overall this is one of his more unobtrusive “fixes.” There are other pages, especially with Superman, where the faces look like a cut and paste from an entirely different book. Jimmy’s face here blends in much better.

I’ve always thought this was one of DCs worst editorial decisions; at least it was short-lived. However, I don’t think it will have a negative impact on price either.

Thanks to all for your input . To clarify ,that’s Colletta inks except for the Olsen face which is Anderson. The more I look at that page the  more I feel that it is “Historical” in many ways. Just the fact that we have the Anderson redux of the Kirby Olsen face reminds me of the struggle between the “House” style of DC at the time and the more expressive approach practiced by the artists at Marvel . That battle started in the 60”s and continued into the seventies.

It is also historical in regards to the character “the Guardian" which was a reboot of Kirby’s Golden Age hero. I’m glad that most think Anderson’s work was not a detriment.One of the things I love about these pages is that they are a collaborative effort with multiple artists involved .. 

Damn, now I wish I wasn’t parting with it

When I bought a Jimmy Olsen page from this era, I was specifically looking for a page that had Anderson inks on Superman and Jimmy-to me that was part of the historical interest of the pages in that transitional moment when Kirby came over to DC. I am also old enough to appreciate the Don Rickles homage, so the page is kinda cool that way too,but I have my example, so I doubt I will get another from the series.