• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selling CGC comic on Ebay question

33 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, evilskip said:

I've been using MCS for years and since they do all of the gruntwork it is so much easier for me. I don't have to worry about scams that happen quite often on ebay.

I live in Dallas so MCS is just a hop/skip/and jump away...

Do they have any protection, if they get scammed? or if they do get jostled, do they still pay you?

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Do they have any protection, if they get scammed? or if they do get jostled, do they still pay you?

I haven't had anything happen to me like that yet as a consignor. I do know that they photograph everything and with the size and accuracy of the photos it would be difficult to switch books.

I did buy a book that they missed had been glued. They quickly refunded my money and sent me an RA for return. It was on consignment so I'm not sure what happened as far as dealing with the seller. I did see it relisted later, with the glue defect clearly mentioned in the non consignment area. Maybe they paid the seller and took a slight hit.

On ebay I had a buyer come back at me several months after they had left me positive feedback for the book. They claimed they never got it, which obviously was a lie. It was only $5 so I refunded and blocked them.

I think Paypal has a six month window where the buyer can attempt to get a refund. Back in 2008 when ebay would only take Paypal payments, I bailed out of selling. The potential for fraud was too great. MCS has been a lot better for me.

It does happen, but the reality is that the vast majority of buyers are not out to screw you. That said, if it does happen to you, that's not much of a consolation.

So, you can decide to only sell to high rep buyers as others have suggested. That sucks for a lot of buyers and decreases your buyer pool, but it's an option. You may also chose to sell on here to high rep buyers (or, at least, someone with a few good transactions under their belt [like me]).  There's no 100% safe option when selling over the internet unless you only take cash as payment and don't ship until you're paid.

Been selling books on E-Bay for several years and I've only had 1 problem that wasn't quickly resolved.  A $60 book got delivered to a business next to the buyer and it was signed for.  Buyer said they didn't get it but E-Bay sided with me since the package was delivered.  I ended up being the good guy and sending them most their money back but even that 1 instance was found in my favor.

I've only started CGCs for a few months now. I've been using Ebay only. I think at first I was overpricing way too much but I think for several weeks now I've had more reasonable prices on my handful of books. I offer free shipping, no refunds. I've gotten several views, especially on my Spider-Gwen #1 and 2 for the price of 1 Amazing Spider-man lower-high grade CGcs. I looked into Comic Link but it seemed more complex than the easier process Ebay provided for me to list books for selling, especially since I'm new to this. I've also been a longtime buyer on Ebay so have a lot of rep built there which i thought would help selling. I was ready to really get this CGC selling thing going because I have several books I'm ready to slab but since I haven't even sold one I've hit the brakes. Any tips?

The first scenario you presented seems unlikely but never say never. It takes a lot to crack a slap, take the book out of the sleeve and then resend it to get slabbed (probably not worth the trouble just to get you on not sending the correct book). I've been buying and selling on eBay for long while now and only had one situation that caused me trouble. Thankfully the situation was handled easily since I insure and put signature confirmation on my high priced items for sale. This will definitely keep you safe and piece of mind when it comes to scammers. 

The one situation I had was a high priced CGC SS book sent and the buyer sent pictures of the slab having very minor cracks and wanted a total refund. Thankfully I recent my previous pics of what the item looked like before shipping and also the insured confirmation with details to contact the insurer. I never heard from the buyer again, so I am assuming it was resolved. 

As mentioned, other 3rd party sites are good: Commic Link, MyComicShop, etc. 

I hope this thread doesn't deter people from selling or buying books on eBay

2c

20 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

We make use of whatever protections are available to us and the benefit of our volume and experience. One of the benefits that comes with consigning with us is that we can largely insulate the consignor from being affected by problem buyers and fraud.

23 hours ago, evilskip said:

I haven't had anything happen to me like that yet as a consignor. I do know that they photograph everything and with the size and accuracy of the photos it would be difficult to switch books.

I did buy a book that they missed had been glued. They quickly refunded my money and sent me an RA for return. It was on consignment so I'm not sure what happened as far as dealing with the seller. I did see it relisted later, with the glue defect clearly mentioned in the non consignment area. Maybe they paid the seller and took a slight hit.

On ebay I had a buyer come back at me several months after they had left me positive feedback for the book. They claimed they never got it, which obviously was a lie. It was only $5 so I refunded and blocked them.

I think Paypal has a six month window where the buyer can attempt to get a refund. Back in 2008 when ebay would only take Paypal payments, I bailed out of selling. The potential for fraud was too great. MCS has been a lot better for me.

What’s RA mean?

4 hours ago, Lee Jackson said:

I've only started CGCs for a few months now. I've been using Ebay only. I think at first I was overpricing way too much but I think for several weeks now I've had more reasonable prices on my handful of books. I offer free shipping, no refunds. I've gotten several views, especially on my Spider-Gwen #1 and 2 for the price of 1 Amazing Spider-man lower-high grade CGcs. I looked into Comic Link but it seemed more complex than the easier process Ebay provided for me to list books for selling, especially since I'm new to this. I've also been a longtime buyer on Ebay so have a lot of rep built there which i thought would help selling. I was ready to really get this CGC selling thing going because I have several books I'm ready to slab but since I haven't even sold one I've hit the brakes. Any tips?

Are they still priced over FMV? A link to your listings would help.