• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just got a Todd McFarlane Sketch back...

32 posts in this topic

.....sort of. Sent two comics directly to McFarlane Productions close to a year ago with a note 

aboutwhat a huge fan of his I am. Today I got both comics back with the following on one of the backing boards!!! I know that he doesn't sketch often for fans so was super pumped to get this, also noticed he signed it "Toddy", never seen that before. I know it's just a Spider but this is cool right??? What should I do with it? Frame it, can/should I CGC a backing board? What a great guy!!

20180529_161750_HDR.thumb.jpg.277a46372e0fd24fa43d9c7f084bb642.jpg

Edited by Blastaar

19 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

I think you should send him a "thank you" note which expresses your appreciation for the extra effort he made for you, and that it was a very nice thing for him to do.

He will be happy to receive it, and it shows your own graciousness in response.

Great idea. 

3 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I think he was joking. 

I was mainly joking but...

there are plenty of people who would absolutely throw it on eBay. That would be sad. I think it's amazing that Todd did such a thing for a true fan. I don't know about Todd, but I do know that many artists are weary of doing these sorts of things because the "fan" turns out to be someone who is in it for the money. This is why lots of artists are starting to charge exorbitant prices and establishing restrictive rules for sketches and signatures.

I asked a facilitating company who used to handle most of Todd's work if it was possible to get a sketch. They said no, pretty much impossible. A few months later, they had one for sale on eBay for an insane price hm

As the owner of nearly every Spawn comic in 9.8 or above (around 400 slabs), I think one would be hard-pressed to find a more dedicated fan...but that made no difference to Todd's former "handlers."

My advice for the OP is to keep it like it is! Leave it in a nice Mylar with backing board and enjoy your unique gift! The "Toddy" signature is very interesting and remarkable. I've NEVER seen one! :)

1 hour ago, Pete Marino said:

Neat bonus!  Enjoy it, and I agree, sending him a hand written letter of thanks he would appreciate.

Sent it out today! What was funny is in my letter to him I discussed the old days of reaching out to an artist or writer by letter and getting a correspondence started.

7 hours ago, newshane said:

I was mainly joking but...

there are plenty of people who would absolutely throw it on eBay. That would be sad. I think it's amazing that Todd did such a thing for a true fan. I don't know about Todd, but I do know that many artists are weary of doing these sorts of things because the "fan" turns out to be someone who is in it for the money. This is why lots of artists are starting to charge exorbitant prices and establishing restrictive rules for sketches and signatures.

I also think that's why it was a quick sketch and signed Toddy.

So that there isn't as much market value to the sketch.

A thank you rather than currency.

Edited by Bronty

On 5/30/2018 at 11:13 AM, Blastaar said:

Does anyone on here have an actual character sketch of his?

I have a head sketch of Captain America he did on Avengers 233.  Signed by him and Stan Lee and in a yellow slab.  I picked it up from a friend of a friend. 

BTW, Todd's son used to list on eBay comics that Todd signed and sketched upon.  Haven't seen any in awhile.

Edited by Lucky Baru

On ‎05‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 6:35 PM, Bronty said:

I also think that's why it was a quick sketch and signed Toddy.

So that there isn't as much market value to the sketch.

A thank you rather than currency.

Never understood this mindset. When no one gets a sketch then none of your fans get a sketch. 

If it isn't worth anything then even someone who is not a fan keeps it. If it has value then only a fan keeps it. If resold it ends up in the hands of a fan who wants it more. 

Edited by buyatari

59 minutes ago, buyatari said:

Never understood this mindset. When no one gets a sketch then none of your fans get a sketch. 

If it isn't worth anything then even someone who is not a fan keeps it. If it has value then only a fan keeps it. If resold it ends up in the hands of a fan who wants it more. 

I get you, but at the same time if he's giving out something for free that gets resold, I think it becomes difficult for the artist not to feel taken advantage of.    

On 6/2/2018 at 11:40 PM, cabinboy said:

I got this one at a book signing a while back ...

IMG_7853.JPG

Wow! How’d you manage that? 

I would love to have a sketch from Todd.

Edited by rogue14
Verbiage